Sponsored Links

O2 O2, £23: 300GB of EU, UK, Switzerland data

S0X

ULTIMATE Member
eSIM[.]net plan with 300GB of data. $29, so around £23/month:

If you are travelling to Europe ( EU and UK ) and want the ultimate data plan, then there is simply no better product than the O2 Mega eSIM. From a major MNO, you can expect a premium service. It lasts for 30 days and comes with a whopping 300GB of data (nope, that was not a misprint). There is no Fair Usage Policy meaning that the full 300GB can be used across all 48 countries. Watch movies and stream until your heart’s content. Take advantage of lightning fast 5G and freely share your data with your family via Mobile Hotspot/Tethering at no extra cost. You can also very easily extend the plan for as long as you wish. It comes fully activated and ready to use immediately after arriving in Europe. No stress, no worries, and from start to finish, we've got your back. The O2 Mega plan includes the following countries:

Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion, Romania, Saint Martin, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Vatican City.

---

Tesco Mobile is usually recommended for EU roaming as they're unlimited, but some plans are only available on 12 or 24 month contracts... maybe this is not a bad option if you want a lot of O2 data in the UK or in mainland Europe.

Worth noting if you don't need 300GB but other networks roaming limits aren't quite enough there's also a 50GB plan from this reseller at $23/approx £18 (with auto renew, can be cancelled).

They don't seem to give any voice/SMS info on the 300GB plan but it is included on the 50GB one. I do find it odd it allows outbound calls but no outbound SMS, weird restriction.

I think these are probably the best value plans out there for someone visiting the EU from outside, but NOT starting in the UK who needs around this amount of data. (excluding possible local options although these vary massively between countries)

interesting deal. shame there's no Turkey (I know it's not EU, but there are other non-EU countries listed there). But I have to wonder, what's the speed like. As if it's going to bust you down to 1mbit after using a few GB of data then to me at least, it's worthless.

Sponsored Links
I asked them.
It's good news!

Hi Matt,

We won’t reduce the speed. You’ll get the full speed provided by the network in a particular area.

The Support Team

Ok i've just bought this.

I'm getting 4G only. In my Huawei modem. And if I put a regular O2 SIM in there, 5G. The modem itself is zip-tied to a rafter in my loft so it can't move. So it's in the exact same spot that a regular direct from O2 chip gets 5G but this one, 4G.

Just tried it in my oneplus . 4G
Just tried it in my Xiaomi. 4G

There is an O2 mast 350m away, and i get good 5G from it normally, hence why I thought this one might be a good buy. But it's not. I'm going to email them and see what they say.

Ok i've just bought this.

I'm getting 4G only. In my Huawei modem. And if I put a regular O2 SIM in there, 5G. The modem itself is zip-tied to a rafter in my loft so it can't move. So it's in the exact same spot that a regular direct from O2 chip gets 5G but this one, 4G.

Just tried it in my oneplus . 4G
Just tried it in my Xiaomi. 4G

There is an O2 mast 350m away, and i get good 5G from it normally, hence why I thought this one might be a good buy. But it's not. I'm going to email them and see what they say.
Just out of curiosity, if you've got Starlink, why would you need this O2 Mega eSIM 300GB deal?

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity, if you've got Starlink, why would you need this O2 Mega eSIM 300GB deal?
I have VDSL too :) I like having faster internet is the simple answer. There's no FTTP here so the best I can do is DSL + Mobile + Starlink and I'm hitting about 500mbit down 60 up. When FTTP does come along I won't need either starlink or mobile (i'll probably keep one 5G as a backup though). Also I just like messing with this stuff, and at 30 days contract, it was worth messing with. Well, it would have been better if it was 5G but it won't do it.

I took it to the 5G mast at the end of my road today. No 5G.

5g was available to me both in the UK and the European countries I've visited. This was on my Xperia 1 v
interesting. i've tried it in a modem and two different phones and it won't do it. A regular O2 sim I have does, in all of them. Wondering if it's a provisioning issue. Both my phones have all the bands, as does the modem so no technical reason why my equipment wouldn't do it. Anyway, I've asked them why so i'll see what they say.

It's interesting you got 5G in europe though, because they flat out told me 5G in UK and 4G roaming. Yours was this 300GB one, or the local eSIM?

1720386172063.png

Sponsored Links
interesting. i've tried it in a modem and two different phones and it won't do it. A regular O2 sim I have does, in all of them. Wondering if it's a provisioning issue. Both my phones have all the bands, as does the modem so no technical reason why my equipment wouldn't do it. Anyway, I've asked them why so i'll see what they say.

It's interesting you got 5G in europe though, because they flat out told me 5G in UK and 4G roaming. Yours was this 300GB one, or the local eSIM?

View attachment 16079
Mine was the 300gb mega esim. It worked exactly the same as my o2 contract SIM in the UK and when roaming

Still haven't noticed any idiosyncrasies from aggregating multiple links of different qualities and latencies?
there is a tcp low latency option which seems to work. sometimes you might see the odd high ping or something and while i do play games occasionally (rarely have time for it) it doesn't bother me. I haven't noticed any issue with video conferencing or work. But I had virgin media for years so giant pings was always a thing.
looks very interesting, is it very stable then? :)
yes. i've never lost internet while having it. a neat party trick is turning off one ISP like say unplugging the sky router, and nothing drops. I've never noticed any instability. You do get stuck in captcha hell sometimes, because the other end is a VPS, so naturally people think you're a fraudster or something when you have a VPS IP Address :D

there is a tcp low latency option which seems to work. sometimes you might see the odd high ping or something and while i do play games occasionally (rarely have time for it) it doesn't bother me. I haven't noticed any issue with video conferencing or work. But I had virgin media for years so giant pings was always a thing.

yes. i've never lost internet while having it. a neat party trick is turning off one ISP like say unplugging the sky router, and nothing drops. I've never noticed any instability. You do get stuck in captcha hell sometimes, because the other end is a VPS, so naturally people think you're a fraudster or something when you have a VPS IP Address :D
I like this and will look into setting it up as I have 4 routers that I can aggregate this way :)

or can one also include hotspots from mobile phones in the mix? :unsure:

Sponsored Links
yeah you can add a hotspot from a phone. so long as the openmptcprouter can talk to it. (I run it as a VM, but it can run on real hardware too as it's openwrt based). I have done exactly this when travelling but I prefer to use ethernet tethering on my phone for that, and add it in. Best part is you can add and remove connections on the fly, no need to do anything to tell it to use it or to stop using it. Just plug and play!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
NOW UK ISP Logo
NOW £25.00
100Mbps
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Vodafone UK ISP Logo
Vodafone £26.50 - 27.00
150Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £19.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £22.99
150Mbps
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5709)
  2. BT (3563)
  3. Politics (2596)
  4. Openreach (2340)
  5. Business (2319)
  6. Building Digital UK (2274)
  7. FTTC (2060)
  8. Mobile Broadband (2038)
  9. Statistics (1827)
  10. 4G (1723)
  11. Virgin Media (1672)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1491)
  13. Fibre Optic (1423)
  14. Wireless Internet (1416)
  15. FTTH (1383)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules