Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
^^^Second this.

@gadget123 I wear Dickies carpenter shorts and jeans (depending on the season). I have the 11 Pro Max and it fits just fine in my pockets. Sometimes it can even get a bit sideways.

I'm not a large person. And my pockets are normal.

But, I don't wear suits, I don't wear skinny jeans, and I don't wear dress pants. That's neither my lifestyle, nor has it ever been required for the work I do.
Suits usually have an abundance of pockets (without even getting into the matter of pockets in the lining). And most slacks in my experience have pockets equivalent to jeans pockets. Skinny jeans, I have no experience with, but those might make it hard.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
So the 15 Pro is already big I think that’s why it sticks out my pocket someone was able to pick pocket me. I seen the rumours for the 16 Pro. Let’s get it straight that iPhone will stick out most peoples jeans pockets. I guess the larger model already does for some people? And now the watch series ten will be bigger? I use it at work so don’t want forced into a larger screen. With foldables they are get larger until the iPhone is effectively a folding iPad?
I've been getting the large iPhones since they were first available with the 6 Plus. I'm an average sized dude (5'10", generally pretty fit) and my phone would have to be significantly larger than the current 15 Pro Max to have to sick out of my jeans pockets. Front left pocket, always. This way I don't, ya know, sit on it.

Maybe women's jeans might be an issue (probably where purses come in handy), but mens' jeans shouldn't have a problem holding the large phones.

Lynxpoint

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2005
Because there’s no where to go.
First make them thinner and thinner then make them thicker and thicker then make them thinner and thinner.
Then make them smaller then bigger then smaller then bigger.

Each new model needs to be different than the last -so this is how they’re doing it.
Sir Jony Ive was quoted saying that some times he’d show up to work and be terrified because he didn’t have a single idea of what to do next.

Sooooo now we’ve got products that get thinner then thicker, bigger then smaller etc. forever.
your description reminds me of the ski boot cycle. there are two boot designs. One has a tongue you pull forward, one has a heel the pulls back. Every few years the industry tells everyone why one is better than the other, coinciding with the shift of production from one to the other.

Lynxpoint

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2005
I'm sick of it too. Give me a mini Pro already! The 13 mini was great, but it could have been even better if they had a version with Pro features. I would have bought a 15 mini if it existed, but I'd be even happier with a 15 Pro mini.
I agree.

When they dropped the mini, I convinced myself (in hopes that its return was a given) that it was dropped because they could not engineer the satellite stuff into the smaller form factor, and that once they could, it would return.

Now I am feeling the 'what to do' scenario again... where I would be happy to ditch the iPhone completely (I have an iPad so there is a certian redundancy as I don't take the phone out of the house 90%+ of the time) and carry an Inreach for satellite SOS and communications, but the Inreach mini 2 might get smaller with next iteration, and the new imessage via satellite is interesting, except for the phone size. I don't want the large phones, but it could work, maybe. The inreach mini 2 would work for its purpose, but not sure I should go that route right now... so I wait, and hope my iphone mini doesn't die in the meantime, thus forcing some decision.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Bigger screens are more immersive and make it easier to keep the masses hooked. A 12 year old is more likely to develop an addiction watching "content" on his/her large screen iPhone than a 5.4" "mini".

There's a reason every single manufacturer only has phablet size phones these days. It's directly tied to all the "content creation" and the lifestyle built around it.

Lynxpoint

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2005
I've been getting the large iPhones since they were first available with the 6 Plus. I'm an average sized dude (5'10", generally pretty fit) and my phone would have to be significantly larger than the current 15 Pro Max to have to sick out of my jeans pockets. Front left pocket, always. This way I don't, ya know, sit on it.

Maybe women's jeans might be an issue (probably where purses come in handy), but mens' jeans shouldn't have a problem holding the large phones.
I am a 6'2" tall but lean (145 pound) male. While I don't wear jeans, I do have a serious problem with my mini barely fitting in a major portion of my pockets. A major reason I won't go bigger is the need to replace many things to fit the bigger phones, or start carrying a satchel just for it.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
A little bigger is OK but I see no need for it on the 16 ProMax. I do hate they want things even thinner! We pay dearly for Apple love of thin. Less battery, poorer cooling and in the past even devices bending.

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2024
A little bigger is OK but I see no need for it on the 16 ProMax. I do hate they want things even thinner! We pay dearly for Apple love of thin. Less battery, poorer cooling and in the past even devices bending.
I still have my iPad Air 2, which I periodically need to flatten the bend out of. I hope that whichever future model I can afford to upgrade to will have enough structural rigidity to not bend so easily.

My iPhone is a 14, and it's plenty big enough! I don't want a bigger phone. My nearest upgrade point would be the future iPhone 17. If the product line differentiation stays the same, I'd consider a Pro for the better camera if I can afford it. I would consider the Pro Max because of the extra zoom, but it's basically an iPad mini now! It's nice to use for media consumption, and as a portable web browser, but calling on one is like taking photos with an iPad. It's so big it feels dumb! If I were convinced by whatever brilliant camera and lens system they put in the Pro Max, I would have to buy a raft of accessories to make it usable as a phone.

Edit: I feel compelled to add that this is my opinion, and it does not infer that I project this to others. Use whatever works for you, we're all different!

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
I am a 6'2" tall but lean (145 pound) male. While I don't wear jeans, I do have a serious problem with my mini barely fitting in a major portion of my pockets. A major reason I won't go bigger is the need to replace many things to fit the bigger phones, or start carrying a satchel just for it.

What brand of pants are those? Jeans I wear from Levis, to Wrangler, to Eddie Bauer (what I currently wear) I can put almost my entire index finger in my front pocket before it hits the top of my 15 Pro Max. Same with the Eddie Bauer hiking pants I'm currently wearing. I boggle at the idea of men's pants having front pockets so small they barely contain a mini.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
If their research suggested people didn’t want larger products they wouldn’t make them…

Not to mention the last time they released a small device, it flopped.

Lynxpoint

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2005
What brand of pants are those? Jeans I wear from Levis, to Wrangler, to Eddie Bauer (what I currently wear) I can put almost my entire index finger in my front pocket before it hits the top of my 15 Pro Max. Same with the Eddie Bauer hiking pants I'm currently wearing. I boggle at the idea of men's pants having front pockets so small they barely contain a mini.
Mostly Lululemon.

While the phone fits with room to spare in the 'main pockets', it is also loose and floppy, yet also at risk of falling out when sitting down, as well as generally getting in the way. In the smaller 'wallet and phone' type pockets, the phone fits, barely... so it does not move around, but is also a bit of a pain, so I can't imagine trying to shove something bigger in.

The same thing applies to most of my jackets. The phone is more comfortable in the small pockets within pockets, but barely fits.

In running gear, I find the phone, if I take it, is hard to fit for similar reasons. It either just fits in the smaller pockets, or there is far too much room in the bigger pockets (and i don't want it rattling around). A bigger phone would not fill the bigger pockets.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

Have and had none of these problems. They could cut the battery by 1/3 and i would still easily get through the day.

I‘ll take thinner, iPhones have gotten fat lately.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
^^^Second this.

@gadget123 I wear Dickies carpenter shorts and jeans (depending on the season). I have the 11 Pro Max and it fits just fine in my pockets. Sometimes it can even get a bit sideways.

But, I don't wear suits, I don't wear skinny jeans, and I don't wear dress pants. That's neither my lifestyle, nor has it ever been required for the work I do.
It's funny that my Dickies Cargo Pants have a phone pocket and the iPhone SE is just the right size.

Reactions: lpc2 and eyoungren

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2024
Have and had none of these problems. They could cut the battery by 1/3 and i would still easily get through the day.

I‘ll take thinner, iPhones have gotten fat lately.
I'm glad you'll have the options, but give me one that's 1mm fatter, and can make it through a day of heavy use! That's what I want. They all feel rather thin to me.

Sudnr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2024
I've jumped from an iPhone 7 to 15 Pro Max, it took a while to get used the size difference.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The market has spoken and the vast majority of people want bigger phones. Some want it just for the bigger screen, but in my opinion more want it for the bigger battery (and better battery life) or the better camera systems or screen technology that are just not on the smaller phones. It isn't just Apple, there really aren't any smaller Android phones anymore either.
As I stated many times, I'm hoping that the move to 6.3" and 6.9" in the Pro will open the door for a return of say a 5.8/5.9" iPhone Pro model. While not quite mini I think they could get it closer with the reduced bezels of the newer ipHones and it would be better than nothing!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's funny that my Dickies Cargo Pants have a phone pocket and the iPhone SE is just the right size.
Yeah, if you wear these pants (and shorts) you know they have the extra pockets. I used to put my phones in the side pocket and a small part would stick out there. But in the back pockets there's no issue. When I was carrying around my iPhone 5, the side pocket held it completely.

Now, I have a Ridge wallet that goes in the side pocket, so my phone(s) go in the back pocket(s) and I never have any problems.

Reactions: bousozoku

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
People want a big phones. Samsung and Apple tried to make a compact models but they didn't sell well and 1st company discontinued them in 1 and 2nd in 2 years

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think after 11th generation. I switched from 11PM to 15PM and it was a little chonky to me
That's good news! Currently I am on the 11 Pro Max and don't plan on updating to the iPhone 15PM until the launch of the iPhone 17 series. So, knowing I will have a thicker phone with flat sides is encouraging.

Reactions: Khavik

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
^^^Second this.

Well I wear slim pants and man Big phones are a pain. 13 mini all day lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.