Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2022
When I first saw it, I also found it strange, but when I paid more attention, I realized that I might like it. Because the important thing is to make it compatible with the background image. I think there should be automatic switching to this instead of automatic switching to dark mode.

Reactions: yeahtyeaht

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Perhaps some don't like the "Androidification" of iOS, which is definitely happening. The future is more customization, more Android-like features. This is evidence in that direction, that Apple is changing and isn't what it used to be (and never will be again). That may be part of the negative reaction.

sleeptodream

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2022
For me part of the problem is you lose contrast. The color contrast is no longer there, so colors that are a similar brightness but different hue turn a similar shade of your chosen color. Plus whites get toned down significantly by tinting, so you lose brightness and contrast there too

I think they need to leave white as white instead of tinting it, and increase the contrast when doing the conversion. The color part will need to be fixed by devs submitting different icons.

Also the icon background should honestly be what gets colorized, not the icon itself. If I want pink icons I’d rather have a white let’s say Apple Music logo, over a pink background, that would be aesthetically very nice

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Someone on Threads said they’ve adjusted the tinting in beta 2 and it looks better now. Anyone running the betas notice this?

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Someone on Threads said they’ve adjusted the tinting in beta 2 and it looks better now. Anyone running the betas notice this?

The icons seem brighter when using the stronger colour options, previously they could become really muddy and hard to see.

I do think one of the issues here is the UI for selecting the colours. Just presenting you with a colour slider like you're editing something on Photoshop isn't a great experience and it's difficult to find complementary colours. Keep this as an option but they should really be presenting you with say 6 different colours which are automatically picked from your background image and tuned to more attractive shades (ie more pastel and less RGB)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
tinted icons has improved slightly. but it's still in beta so a lot could change from now until fall.

dark icons is where I really like and once developers get on board I think it will look really good

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I’m sure it will improve as 3rd party apps adapt. But my point is it’s completely optional so why the hate for something you never have to enable?
Because people WANT to enable it, but because it looks so horrible they cant... That's why they're upset. People have been asking for customization for a long time and want to use it, but this implementation by Apple looks terrible and half baked.... it could potentially improve in future betas of course and it probably will.

for the record I am not one of the people complaining, I tried it... It looked terrible... I turned it off and moved on.... But just explaining why some people are upset despite it being something that's optional.

Reactions: redbeard331
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.