Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
So far, my X timeline was full of people complaining about tinted icons. Then I opened their profiles: they are all designers.

So it seems to upset designers but not... regular people, somehow 😂
Yep it’s pretty much all UI designers who are horrified about it.

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
I tried them and ditched the tinted icons because they looked ugly.

I’m also not much of a fan of the larger icons without the text captions below them.

Reactions: furou and gold333

gold333

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Objectively:

1. The tint option always features a dark icon background. It seems the "tint" option is only for dark mode.

2. The tinting destroys the nuance of varying colors in the icons and makes it look crude and garish, even destroying detail. If the tint was applied intelligently with varying shades representative of varying colors it might be different.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
The Human Interface Guidelines were updated and according to that, the developer provides a separate greyscale icon with a solid background that’s used for tinting. So they do have control over how good it looks if they follow the guidelines. Most look bad right now because it’s just tinting the whole thing as-is. If they actually listen to Apple, it won’t look so bad. Take a look at the tinted stock icons like Camera and Music; they’re not horrible (although I won’t be using tinted icons at all)
Consider a simplified version of your icon that captures its essential features. Because dark and tinted icons appear against a dark background, fine details tend to stand out more and can look messy or cluttered.

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/app-icons

Reactions: Tagbert

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I’m mostly seeing it on Threads but man so much vitriol for something that is 100% optional. When the public beta drops I’ll try it out. If I don’t like it I’ll turn it off.

I think complaints about the photos app are more legit because that redesign isn’t optional; you’re stuck with it.
I wouldn't say I'm upset, but they are incredibly ugly. Even revisiting the dark mode icons again since the keynote, they don't look great.

Obviously I can just ignore the feature, but it would have been nice if they at least did a good job making light and dark versions of their icons. Maybe they'll tidy them up before the final release, but who knows.

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
Ok yeah this looks bad. But is someone actually going to set their phone to look like this? Or is the argument that Apple shouldn’t even give someone the option to do this?

I don't see what's wrong with the option to do that, if someone wants to have a dubious colour combination then so be it, but I agree it doesn't look great.

I don't mind the dark icons without colour tints, but they need to do them uniformly, such as on mine the Apple Store icon is bright white background while the others are black. Same as the App Store being shaded blue background. Also the Support icon.

The all the third party app developers have to get on board with the dark icon alternatives - and it's for sure some of them will not be pleased because it may well go against their own brand guidelines.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
For me it’s because they’re all on black backgrounds for some reason and generally smudgy looking.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I don’t like it I think it’s utt bugly - so I don’t use it. Not a biggy. I’ll wait until I can change each icon individually, add an image and freely resize them.

Tom

Reactions: crisneat

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
IMG_3305.png

Personally I love my dark mode tint. Can’t see why people have an issue with it, plus, just because you wouldn’t use something doesn’t mean others don’t want to.

But apart from the “I don’t want it” people, I would imagine a lot of app developers are complaining because “custom icons” for paid users has become popular.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I can see it having uses for corporate applications. Say a locked down iPad at a hotel’s front desk with a limited number of apps installed. Why not brand it to match the Hotel’s colors?

But for consumers? It’s just style over substance. Not sure I’d even bother to try it out?

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Ok yeah this looks bad. But is someone actually going to set their phone to look like this? Or is the argument that Apple shouldn’t even give someone the option to do this?

View attachment 2387767
For some reason, these colours want me to fly into a homicidal rage and start breaking things. I mean, when I was 12 I had diagonal purple & orange striped wallpaper. But hey, for every me, there is someone who loves this, so there ya go 😀

Tom

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I don't see what's wrong with the option to do that, if someone wants to have a dubious colour combination then so be it, but I agree it doesn't look great.

I don't mind the dark icons without colour tints, but they need to do them uniformly, such as on mine the Apple Store icon is bright white background while the others are black. Same as the App Store being shaded blue background. Also the Support icon.

The all the third party app developers have to get on board with the dark icon alternatives - and it's for sure some of them will not be pleased because it may well go against their own brand guidelines.
My point is if it’s something that’s hard to read…who would actually chooses that? I’m not sure how Apple could design it in a way that would make it impossible to chose that combination unless they limited it to certain color pallets/combos that Apple chose but I don’t think that would make people happy either.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
View attachment 2387971

Personally I love my dark mode tint. Can’t see why people have an issue with it, plus, just because you wouldn’t use something doesn’t mean others don’t want to.

But apart from the “I don’t want it” people, I would imagine a lot of app developers are complaining because “custom icons” for paid users has become popular.
This shows it’s all dependent on what you select color wise. I always have a mostly black background to hide the dynamic island. If I were to tint I wouldn’t pick a dark color for my tint.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My point is if it’s something that’s hard to read…who would actually chooses that? I’m not sure how Apple could design it in a way that would make it impossible to chose that combination unless they limited it to certain color pallets/combos that Apple chose but I don’t think that would make people happy either.

There's no accounting for some people's taste. But what's the issue? Apple created the palette... and if I make something that you thing is ugly, garish, or absurd, what's the harm? Apple fans have been asking for the ability to customize the home screen and to theme the icons... Apple finally made it possible, so it is what it is. Everyone can't be a Monet or a Rembrandt. We need the Picassos and the Andy Warhols too.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Because they're hideous. iOS is starting look ugly. I find the new options to be offensive to the eye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.