Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
There's no accounting for some people's taste. But what's the issue? Apple created the palette... and if I make something that you thing is ugly, garish, or absurd, what's the harm? Apple fans have been asking for the ability to customize the home screen and to theme the icons... Apple finally made it possible, so it is what it is. Everyone can't be a Monet or a Rembrandt. We need the Picassos and the Andy Warhols too.
There is no objective definition for ugly. I’m talking about, say, a dark color on a dark background that makes it hard to see/doesn’t provide any contrast. Who is going to select that? It’s like people are playing with the sliders to come up with the worst possible look so they can then say ‘see, look how awful this is!’. Never mind the fact it’s 100% optional. Or that no one would actually chose that combination. No they‘re offended that Apple would even give the option.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I’m not upset about the tinted icons (after all, as others have said - I don’t have to use them. 23 years ago. I had a hemorrhage in my left eye. recovered with the exception that certain colour combinations/contrasts are difficult for me to perceive.

Tom

As I’ll keep stating, I would find it much more useful to be able to set icon colour on a per choice basis *and* being able to add/insert images or change the actual icon.

Last edited:
Reactions: crisneat

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Yeah I think this is a mistake. Devs can already offer dark mode icons if they choose to. The look and feel should always be controlled by the creators and brand owners.

I hope Apple pulls back from this Android-esque design monstrosity. All the experts agree this concept is wrong and completely unholy.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Yeah I think this is a mistake. Devs can already offer dark mode icons if they choose to. The look and feel should always be controlled by the creators and brand owners.

I hope Apple pulls back from this Android-esque design monstrosity. All the experts agree this concept is wrong and completely unholy.
Which experts? Again this is an option, you don't have to use it.

tim@ipad

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2024
Not because the feature is optional or the “do not use it if you do not need to”.

It is mainly because of Apples emphasis on such feature that it is cringe and therefore everything Pro was not shown - which in view of the M4 iPad is major let down for many.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
People get so weird about what other people do with their phones. I don't get it. I should be allowed to have an ugly home screen if I want.
Both things can be true... You should be allowed to do whatever you want with your phone... and people should be allowed to give an opinion on it even if it's negative. That's the nature of online discussions... People are going to give differing opinions... you can't just shut down someone's opinion because you don't like it or agree with it... I bet if someone said "oh your phone looks nice I love it" then you wouldn't have an issue with it right?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
More people losing their minds over an optional feature. A feature that will most likely be refined over time. Also, who would actually set their phone to look like the first screen shot?

IMG_0866.jpeg IMG_0865.jpeg

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
More people losing their minds over an optional feature. A feature that will most likely be refined over time. Also, who would actually set their phone to look like the first screen shot?

View attachment 2388627 View attachment 2388628

Because it looks absolutely god awful, even Apples examples in the keynote which you would presume would show the very best settings of this feature are muddy icons set in black.

What Apple needs to do here is ask developers for a flat, white glyph of their app, this won’t be a deal as they already supply them for android. This glyph can then be applied to a coloured icon background of in light mode, or the glyph is coloured on a black background in dark mode.

So user selects green for example:

Light mode: White glyph on green background

Dark mode: Green glyph on black background.

And that’s it. Will look perfectly fine for those who want it. And as a stop gap for the odd developer who doesn’t immediately update their app, you can tint them like now if you really want to.

As it stands however it’s just awful. Rethink needed.

Reactions: S7anley

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
Isn’t that what most Apple users want, More choice? I don’t get it either. It’s optional, I’m just happy we have more customization options for those that want it. I do agree it has some issues, but I’m sure Apple will refine it in future releases.

Reactions: DaveOP

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Some people just look for reasons to be angry. Also, some people lose the perspective that this is literally the very first beta in a series of betas that will last for at least 3 months before iOS 18 goes live, by which time many, many more third party app icons will be better adapted for tinting and dark mode. 🤷‍♂️

That said, I played with the tinting, looks cool, it's a smooth experience setting it up and, overall, I think they did a good job with it. Personally, I prefer the native colors of the icons since my eyes are trained to identify the app I'm looking for by sight and having them tinted really interferes with that even when I already know where they are.

So, not a feature I see myself using, but for those that want it, feels like a pretty nice implementation.

Reactions: DaveOP

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Some people just look for reasons to be angry. Also, some people lose the perspective that this is literally the very first beta in a series of betas that will last for at least 3 months before iOS 18 goes live, by which time many, many more third party app icons will be better adapted for tinting and dark mode. 🤷‍♂️

That said, I played with the tinting, looks cool, it's a smooth experience setting it up and, overall, I think they did a good job with it. Personally, I prefer the native colors of the icons since my eyes are trained to identify the app I'm looking for by sight and having them tinted really interferes with that even when I already know where they are.

So, not a feature I see myself using, but for those that want it, feels like a pretty nice implementation.
I’ve seen quite a few Threads posts mentioning Android. It’s almost like they think iOS allowing any sort of UI customization like Android does makes iOS dirty or lower class. It’s elitist. Also this notion that Apple was always the best arbiter of design is just flat out wrong. There were aspects of their skeuomorphic design that I hated and I know plenty hated iOS 7. Plus Steve Jobs approved designs like this:

1718312889754.png

pinkkie

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2022
What bugs me more than the icons is the yellow icon on a white background in the brightness slider. Almost zero contrast. And this one looks like we won't be able to pick the color.

Attachments

• sccc.png
    sccc.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: redbeard331

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
I personally am not upset because I won't use it, but if I were running a brand I'd think it's pretty ridiculous that Apple requires me to provide an icon that lets users change my brand colors.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
View attachment 2387971

Personally I love my dark mode tint. Can’t see why people have an issue with it, plus, just because you wouldn’t use something doesn’t mean others don’t want to.

But apart from the “I don’t want it” people, I would imagine a lot of app developers are complaining because “custom icons” for paid users has become popular.

To be honest, I've only found two options (including what you posted), that actually look okay. Every other slider combination is just horrible.

S7anley

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2020
Cheltenham, England
I love this tinting customisation personally. Ever since it’s been a thing on android I’ve wanted to to be able to do it on my iPhone. Looking at how good google has managed to pull it off I’m sure Apple‘s will be just as good if not better. So far I don’t like that it tints my photos widget (literally tints the photos) and I hope by official release they’ll let us keep the red notification badges or adjust the brightness so they actually pop at a quick glance.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Android has had tinted icons for several YEARS now. Most app developers make custom icons. If you don’t like it, then you can replace icons. It’s all up to the user.

Anyway….its a nice addition to IpadOS for sure. Even though, I prefer coloured icons, the transition between light/dark theme is well done.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I’m mostly seeing it on Threads but man so much vitriol for something that is 100% optional. When the public beta drops I’ll try it out. If I don’t like it I’ll turn it off.

I think complaints about the photos app are more legit because that redesign isn’t optional; you’re stuck with it.
It's mostly Android fanboys who feel the need to tear down the competition because they have to do it to make them feel better about their choices.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It’s an option for those that want it
Not a necessity or a must have
Take it for what is worth which is a feature

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Apple are likely to iterate on the design, this is only beta 1, Beta 2 and 3 tend to have many more changes/additions and they tend to make small changes throughout the beta releases.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
People on Threads are probably upset all the time, about anything.
You are confusing that place with MR. MR has users who take icon tinting in the same kind of light the OP is speaking of. Their whole Apple ecosystem life is now doomed because of an option that many others like and can turn on and off at will. It doesn't matter if the triggered user doesn't plan on using the feature. He or she wants others to fall in line with them and be mad at Tim and Apple. Dysfunctional thinking to be sure.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
It is always funny to read when Apple gives people the choice of something (even if Apple wants this or not - Sideloading, other browser engines) and people go crazy because they don't want it. No one is telling you to do. It's still your choice.

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
The same people would be complaining if Apple didn't offer it.

Totally understandable why app developers are complaining ; Apple just took a way a revenue stream from them. Now they can't use a different color icon as a feature to bait you into a paid app subscription.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The same people would be complaining if Apple didn't offer it.

Totally understandable why app developers are complaining ; Apple just took a way a revenue stream from them. Now they can't use a different color icon as a feature to bait you into a paid app subscription.

Not true at all. Given the way Apple has is set up, the tint colors everything on the screen. If you don’t want everything yellow or blue or orange, custom icons from the devs are still absolutely doable and even desirable to the end user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.