Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I’m mostly seeing it on Threads but man so much vitriol for something that is 100% optional. When the public beta drops I’ll try it out. If I don’t like it I’ll turn it off.

I think complaints about the photos app are more legit because that redesign isn’t optional; you’re stuck with it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
because the combination between default apps and 3rd party apps look horrible in dark mode .
I’m sure it will improve as 3rd party apps adapt. But my point is it’s completely optional so why the hate for something you never have to enable?

Reactions: Shirasaki

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
The only people I could understand having any kind of issue with it are app developers who don’t want their icons (branding) messed with. Which, from what I’ve read, there is a way for them to provide a grayscale icon that is used as the “template” for the tinted version so that contrast, etc still looks good.

Normal end users? Seriously…just don’t use it.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
So far all I've seen is people deliberately choosing the most garish and illegible colour scheme, and then complaining that it looks ugly.

That's the thing with theming people, you can make it look as ugly as you want, just don't complain when it actually *shock* looks ugly.

I accept that there are some things Apple and third party developers need to improve on in order to help things along, but it's the first beta...

Come to think of it, this is probably why Apple have held off on theming for so long.

I for one am glad for the option and can't wait to get my hands on the public beta to give it a go.

brofkand

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2006
People used to mock Android because of customizations like that, and in order to be consistent in their minds they have to apply the same vitriol to Apple when they copy Android. It really does nothing but expose their own silliness.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
They are pretty horrible... I played around with it for a few minutes, gave it a shot... Saw how ugly they looked and then just turned them off and went on with my life lol. I'll re-visit in subsequent betas to see if it improves.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I agree that tinted icons don't look great, but it's your phone, do whatever you want. It's like jailbreakers who set the ugliest freaking font they can think of for their phone. I think it looks like utter crap, but it's not my place to tell anyone else what to do with their device!

But some people out there like to tell others what they're allowed to do, and that's the sort of thinking that leads to this outrage. Just... do what you want and don't worry about others, folks.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
Some of the default icons work better than others. The dark mode Notepad icon is ugly. Tinting white worked for a nice monochromatic look, but some icons have too much gray like Maps and Amazon and stand out next to everything else. Here's hoping app developers do a little work on their icons so they look legible and clean in any setting.

I just wish Apple had gone the route of giving us an icon picker. Would be real nice to AI generate emoji and then make them icons. Would also like to color folders to help organize them, but for now it is one tint color for everything.

Reactions: redbeard331

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
So far all I've seen is people deliberately choosing the most garish and illegible colour scheme, and then complaining that it looks ugly.

That's the thing with theming people, you can make it look as ugly as you want, just don't complain when it actually *shock* looks ugly.

I accept that there are some things Apple and third party developers need to improve on in order to help things along, but it's the first beta...

Come to think of it, this is probably why Apple have held off on theming for so long.

I for one am glad for the option and can't wait to get my hands on the public beta to give it a go.
Exactly. I’ll try it out and if I don’t like it I’ll turn it off.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
So far, my X timeline was full of people complaining about tinted icons. Then I opened their profiles: they are all designers.

So it seems to upset designers but not... regular people, somehow 😂

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Oh really what about this article in April?

That’s somebody’s guess or wish. It’s up to Apple to develop a roadmap, follow it or modify it as they see fit. A third-party tech writer’s wishlist is not even close to the same thing.

Reactions: Tagbert

partyboy4357

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2017
I’m mostly seeing it on Threads but man so much vitriol for something that is 100% optional. When the public beta drops I’ll try it out. If I don’t like it I’ll turn it off.

I think complaints about the photos app are more legit because that redesign isn’t optional; you’re stuck with it.
For me they look like a cheap Andriod feature, i think it's a bad look and cant imagine why anyone would prefer that over full color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.