Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I've seen and read the various negative reviews of this show and there's a constant theme which is sadly ridiculous and eh political.
1. The term "woke" is clearly used by those that do not know what the term means.
2. The number of women and social "roles" compared to men is laughable to these reviewers.
3. The ethnic makeup lol the universe is very big and diverse and that's just devastates some reviewers world.
4. They should look up the meaning of the word acolyte.

I enjoy the series. View attachment 2389223

Have just started it. Enjoyed it.

Reactions: AL2TEACH

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I love British TV and came across this one on BritBox a few weeks ago. The show is called Mum and is an exceptional 3 seasons. Dealing with a woman and the death of her husband and life after that. A great mix of humour and touching elements. Wish there was more then 3 seasons, but at the same time glad it is over and they did not follow the American way of doing TV, get as much out of the show without an ending in sight and just wait for the ratings to drop before dropping it to move on to the next

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Looking at new TV series for something to watch. Acolyte excepted, they all seem to have the same story line --

Person returns to Town after X years to chase old mystery and opens up old wounds.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Finished my Stargate SG1 rewatch tonight with Stargate Continuum and now decided to watch a new series, Arcane on Netflix. I know nothing about League of Legends, but Ella Purnell is in it and I like her in Star Trek Prodigy.
I quite enjoyed Arcane, give us you view afterwards.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Finished my Stargate SG1 rewatch tonight with Stargate Continuum and now decided to watch a new series, Arcane on Netflix. I know nothing about League of Legends, but Ella Purnell is in it and I like her in Star Trek Prodigy.
Stargate SG1 is probably my favorite tv-series of all time. But I wouldn't ruin it by re-watch it.
Visiting the past is usually not what we remember and expected, so I pass. I rather check up Amanda's directing, or maybe her daughter…later.
Otherwise there's more than enough present stuff to watch.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Stargate SG1 is probably my favorite tv-series of all time. But I wouldn't ruin it by re-watch it.
Visiting the past is usually not what we remember and expected, so I pass. I rather check up Amanda's directing, or maybe her daughter…later.
Otherwise there's more than enough present stuff to watch.

This was the second time I'm watched it. I like rewatching things. Everyone has a preference.

Reactions: GlenK

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Be forewarned, Bridgerton has more adult content.

We liked the first couple of seasons of Bridgerton, tried the third series and gave up. It just didn't feel like the earlier seasons.
However...
You must catch the spin-off film Charlotte, about Queen Charlotte and her husband George III (the one who lost America).

We finished seasons 1-3 of Bridgerton and the lone season of the Queen Charlotte spinoff. The Queen Charlotte spinoff was pretty dull and we had to force ourselves to finish. But we both quite liked Bridgerton. A bit too much "adult content" for our preference, and it seems more gratuitous than integral to the plot line... but the story was fairly interesting, and the drama pretty much on par with a Downton Abbey type show.

I am waiting for the final episode of Dark Matter to drop on Wednesday to start our binge of that one.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Just finished the 3rd season of Welcome to Wrexham. Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney purchase a soccer team in a distressed area in Wales. I don't normally watch sports shows but I got hooked. It's is a masterful mixing of game action, locker room scenes, player and fan stories, history of Wrexham. It has brilliant gems such as an advertisement of Ryans' alcohol product while promoting a local flower shop, to a bar singing scene of a song about how to pronounce "McElhenney" written by by La La Land and Dear Evan Hansen vets Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. Many celebrity guests such as Chris Pratt, the King of England, Hugh Jackman, etc. but their role is just as Wrexham supporters.

There is the amazing story of the photographer who goes to the games to take pictures, but has never actually watched a game or entered the stadium as he can't tolerate crowds or noise. The stories of the Argentinian Welch, the autistic and disabled fans. How much this team means to all of them. Their stories are brilliantly told. We have one of the team members walking alone talking about how both his new born son and wife were both in critical care after his birth. We assume that they both perished since he is alone as he is talking about it.

The creativity of things one would never imagine I have only seen in Fargo. It is much more intense in Fargo, something happening almost every minute. In Wrexham you may have to wait for these jewels. Sometimes they do the setup and the payoff doesn't come until several episodes later.

welcome to Wrexam.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Just finished the 3rd season of Welcome to Wrexham. Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney purchase a soccer team in a distressed area in Wales. I don't normally watch sports shows but I got hooked. It's is a masterful mixing of game action, locker room scenes, player and fan stories, history of Wrexham. It has brilliant gems such as an advertisement of Ryans' alcohol product while promoting a local flower shop, to a bar singing scene of a song about how to pronounce "McElhenney" written by by La La Land and Dear Evan Hansen vets Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. Many celebrity guests such as Chris Pratt, the King of England, Hugh Jackman, etc. but their role is just as Wrexham supporters.

There is the amazing story of the photographer who goes to the games to take pictures, but has never actually watched a game or entered the stadium as he can't tolerate crowds or noise. The stories of the Argentinian Welch, the autistic and disabled fans. How much this team means to all of them. Their stories are brilliantly told. We have one of the team members walking alone talking about how both his new born son and wife were both in critical care after his birth. We assume that he is alone as he is talking that they both perished.

The creativity of things one would never imagine I have only seen in Fargo. It is much more intense in Fargo, something happening almost every minute. In Wrexham you may have to wait for these jewels. Sometimes they do the setup and the payoff doesn't come until several episodes later.

View attachment 2391916

I detest that show. lol.

Seriously I can't watch McElhenney explain how relegation and promotion work anymore.
And he was doing it every episode in the first season.... well, I assume he still does it... he did it in all 3 episodes I could stomach.

I hate the way football, English in particular, and other pro sports have developed, i.e. been "gentrified".

So, it's a hard pass for me.

But you enjoy... go ahead... :rolleyes:

Also, why couldn't they have bought my team? lol

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Barney Miller .. good grief, how many times have we viewed this series? A good number, but it always offers some very interesting and entertaining views, and a chance to escape back to when we actually enjoyed watching commercial tv.

View attachment 2392095

My favorite, well I have a few favorite episodes, but the one that ALWAYS stands out to me is when Jack Soo passed away. Man always gets me chocked up.

Last edited:

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I've seen and read the various negative reviews of this show and there's a constant theme which is sadly ridiculous and eh political.
1. The term "woke" is clearly used by those that do not know what the term means.
2. The number of women and social "roles" compared to men is laughable to these reviewers.
3. The ethnic makeup lol the universe is very big and diverse and that's just devastates some reviewers world.
4. They should look up the meaning of the word acolyte.

I enjoy the series. View attachment 2389223
I think you should maybe go and watch some reviewers criticisms of the show, no one is complaining about diverse casting and ethnic roles. At the very core of it all is horrible writing. Unless fire in space and stone buildings bursting into flames makes sense to you then the show might be made for you. It is sad that is has become this, if a show that is part of a franchise, a world with lore, does not sit well with fans, the immediate criticism is that it is men who can't handle women as heroes, and they are all homophobic racist bigots. The same thing happens with Rings of Power. A show with much deeper lore and history and when the writers ignore it, the natural reaction of fans who care about the world and stories, they are not going to be happy about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.