Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I should have said I saw the new Ghost Busters film the other day. It's alright, could be worst but it just lacks the magic of the originals. Lot less comedy then the originals too and that young kid just does NOT work with Slimer, he isn't a patch on Bill Murray and I think the film with the 4 women was better.
So I've learnt to just stick to the original Ghost Busters and Beverly Hill Cops now lol.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The Missus and kids left me alone for two weeks, so I have a lot of free time. I've been binge watching movies after work.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island had so many plot holes that it triggered my trypophobia.😏 But it didn't take itself seriously, thus making it a fun movie to watch with the kids. Plus, Luis Guzman in a comedic role was fun. He's usually casted as a villain because of his looks.😢
MV5BMTkxNDQzNTkxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcxNjU3NQ@@._V1_.jpg

13 Assassins, the remake version, was better than the original. The same story, but modern day production value. It's so rare to see a remake not try to incorporate modern sensibilities or a tack on love story🥱 into a period piece.

Two different philosophy on loyalty faces off--loyalty to one's Lord vs loyalty to the people. It's rare for a story to have both the protagonist and antagonist as likable characters. Hanbei is Magneto to Shinzaemon's Professor X. What tips the scales against Hanbei is that he is loyal to the worst scum to appear in movies or TV. Lord Naritsugu is Joffrey Baratheon taken up to the eleven.

murzika

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
Gigli (2003) thriller with now-married sweethearts Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck. Beautiful movie, powerful story, full of raw emotion and twists you’ll never see coming.

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Alita: Battle Angel (2019)- I love this film, it’s such a fine example of a solid story, stellar CGI blending with live action, where it’s easy to visually track the action. James Cameron is involved and as with Avatar, high standards in story telling, presentation, and attention to detail. And although it’s reported to have a significant following, it performed mediocre at the box office. The question is, as an unfinished story, where is the sequel, can we ever expect to see it? Supposedly it’s in work.

IMG_3250.jpeg

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
And I added this to my collection of digital films, such a shame Mr Paxman passed away far too early :(

View attachment 2395164

Good grief! How could I forget and be that stupid. Another GREATLY missed legendary actor was in this film, Mr Philip Seymour Hoffman.
In fact the cast in this film is full of very accomplished actors and actresses. I don’t think the remake, sequel coming out will match the acting.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Alita Battle Angel (2019)- I love this film, it’s such a fine example of a solid story, stellar CGI blending with live action, where it’s easy to visually track the action. James Cameron is involved and as with Avatar, high standards in story telling. And although it’s reported to have a significant following, it performed mediocre at the box office. The question is, as an unfinished story, where is the sequel, can we ever expect to see it? Supposedly it’s in work.

I enjoyed the movie, though the turn off was the ending with no sequel in sight. Burned by lots of series that did not get renewed, having an unfinished story leaves a sour taste. Other films you know it is a trilogy and can live with a lot of loose ends, but with this there was nothing set in stone as far as I know. I definitely would look forward to continuing on with the story.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Battle for Sevastopol.
small_4ce2f4ebfd744c8000c5b6b44aca103f-battle.jpg

Lots of similarity to Enemy at the Gates. A pretty entertaining movie, although I think the writers took a lot of artistic liberties with stuff not mentioned in the history books. Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Eleanor Roosevelt becoming lifelong friends? Feels like a bit of a stretch. A most of the love story aspect feels tacked on and doesn't serve much purpose, the notable exception being the Doc Boris' unrequited love for Lyudmila. I have no idea if that happened in real life, but Boris gave up his spot on the evacuation ship for her.😭 What a guy.😎

Reactions: Huntn and pachyderm

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Watched Wonder Woman last night.
32973195_Wonder-Woman_Poster2X3.jpg

Overall an okay movie. My main criticism is that Wonder Woman isn't the main character/hero.😲 It's Steve Trevor.😒 Steve decides the actions to take, Steve is the moral center, Steve makes the heroic sacrifices, Steve is the team leader, Steve is reason Wonder Woman fights.😩 Hail, Steve even decided Diana's surname.😑
The movie is called Wonder Woman, not Spy Guy. The story should have Wonder Woman as the hero, not an over powered sidekick.😖 Speaking of sidekick, Charlie did nothing.

I tried watching Wonder Woman 1984. I suffered through the mall scene at the beginning where she swung around the mall like Spiderman. A lot of CGI action and no dialogue? I stopped watching after that. My butt is still mad at me for making it sit through another movie that was all action and no story. *cough* Phantom Menace *cough*

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Reign of Assassins.
p8233623_v_h9_aa.jpg

If you're into the wuxia genre--think House of Flying Daggers or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon--you might like Reign of Assassins too.
The premise is ridiculous. Every fighter wants the corpse of a monk because it can turn them into a peerless martial artist. By studying it, they can reverse aging or regrow organs or restore broken limbs. This is one of the few times I side with the Big Bad. He's a eunuch and just wants to regrow his 🍆 😂.
Michelle Yeoh and the beautifully choreographed fighting is reason enough for me to watch.

Reactions: Chuckeee and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watched Wonder Woman last night.
32973195_Wonder-Woman_Poster2X3.jpg

Overall an okay movie. My main criticism is that Wonder Woman isn't the main character/hero.😲 It's Steve Trevor.😒 Steve decides the actions to take, Steve is the moral center, Steve makes the heroic sacrifices, Steve is the team leader, Steve is reason Wonder Woman fights.😩 Hail, Steve even decided Diana's surname.😑
The movie is called Wonder Woman, not Spy Guy. The story should have Wonder Woman as the hero, not an over powered sidekick.😖 Speaking of sidekick, Charlie did nothing.

I tried watching Wonder Woman 1984. I suffered through the mall scene at the beginning where she swung around the mall like Spiderman. A lot of CGI action and no dialogue? I stopped watching after that. My butt is still mad at me for making it sit through another movie that was all action and no story. *cough* Phantom Menace *cough*
She was stuck out on that island in the middle of nowhere, she needed a savy man familiar with the world to get her pointed in the right direction. 😛 That’s not me defending the movie, which I enjoyed, just being silly. ☺️ Wonder Womam 1984, I started and abruptly stopped. And Phantom Menace, I’LLLLLLLLL…… stop. Whew, you almost got me started on my standard Star Wars rant. 🥲

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.