Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The extraordinarily impressive album Rome (which I have as a CD and which is on my computer's iTunes and is also on my iPod Classic) by Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi.

This was recommended to me ages ago by @mobilehaathi, who used to frequent these threads, and is excellent.

Reactions: rm5

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Enough musicians here to appreciate this. Harry Connick Jr is playing for an (erm, "very white") audience who start clapping along on One and Three during a rollicking solo piece. He brilliantly stuck in a quick bar in 5/4 time and suddenly the audience was clapping on Two and Four (you can see his drummer in the background raise his fists in delight!) This is rich!

Reactions: pachyderm

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
All right, I'll be the one to help non-musos and non-musicians on the "don't clap on 1 and 3" meme (I don't have any skin in the game because I'm too cool to do audience participation stuff at shows, ha ha)...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
All right, I'll be the one to help non-musos and non-musicians on the "don't clap on 1 and 3" meme (I don't have any skin in the game because I'm too cool to do audience participation stuff at shows, ha ha)...

My position is never to clap (and not just because I am too cool to do so) during a piece of music unless invited to do so by the performer (for example, the Viennese Philharmonic Orchestra famously invites the audience to clap along to their performance of the Radetzky March which is the final piece played by tradition during their annual New Year's Concert), and rarely, do so even then.

Now, needless to say, I would argue that tapping a foot in time to a piece of music is quite a different matter.

• Love
Reactions: rm5 and KaliYoni

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States

I've played concerts where the audience claps on 1 and 3, but we insert a measure of 3 or 5 to fix it. That always works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.