Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EllieCat

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2024
U.S
TTPD is a great album

”I’m so depressed it’s like my birthday every day”

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
You win.

You have the most eclectic music taste at the forum.
I do like "weird" music lol.

Really, I don't think there's music I don't like. Sure, there are artists/songs that I like more, but I really can't think of something I wholly dislike. Even the Shaggs, widely considered to have made the worst music in history, I still like. I even like stock audio and demo songs off Yamaha keyboards--all those things have something to offer!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Zero Tolerance is absolutely Metheny's most divisive release! (I like it but am in the minority).

If you like it, check out 'The Sign of 4' with Metheny, Derek Bailey, Greg Bendian and Paul Wertico. I love Bailey, who eschews both rhythmic and harmonic norms in his music.

I actually performed a completely improvised film score a few months ago--it was very similar to this! To me, these improvisations are more textural than melodic, which is something that pop music doesn't really experiment with, from what I can tell.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Currently listening to a few pieces of music from the haunting Philip Glass:

The Hours, and Morning Passages, both from the soundtrack of the eponymous movie (film), The Hours.

@rm5: Piano (compelling, gripping, unforgettable piano) features in this, and, trust me, once you discover the musical rabbit hole that is Philip Glass, you will feel compelled to explore it further.

Reactions: rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Listening to a few tracks from the immortal David Bowie:

Heroes, Ashes to Ashes, Modern Love, China Girl, The Man Who Sold The World, Space Oddity, Rebel, Rebel, Absolute Beginners, and Slow Burn, among others.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And now,.....

I remember watching (with gobsmacked awe) when Carl Sagan's stunning series "Cosmos" was first broadcast, oh, decades ago:

The soundtrack (courtesy of the legendary Vangelis) was simply stunning: I was spellbound when I first heard it...this extraordinary idea (notion?) of content and music meeting, melding, marrying, ....

Wow.

Anyway, the soundtrack of Cosmos blew me away at the time, and the subsequent passage of time (decades, rather than centuries, alas), has done nothing to change that.

Okay: The opening (and closing) music - (Theme from the TV Series Cosmos - Third Movement - Heaven and Hell) left me speechless and stunned with awe at the time, and - unlike much else - I remain awed by the splendour of the vision of this piece of music.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm and rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Currently listening to a few pieces of music from the haunting Philip Glass:

The Hours, and Morning Passages, both from the soundtrack of the eponymous movie (film), The Hours.

@rm5: Piano (compelling, gripping, unforgettable piano) features in this, and, trust me, once you discover the musical rabbit hole that is Philip Glass, you will feel compelled to explore it further.
Oh absolutely--that soundtrack is amazing, I love it!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Currently, I'm listening to Messiaen's "Poemes Pour Mi," which is fantastic. @Scepticalscribe, I recommend listening to the entirety of this--all nine sections--it's something else! There's a piano and an orchestral version, but I recommend the orchestral version, cause a lot of the brass and percussion parts are absolutely vital, and the piano rendition doesn't provide that.

EDIT: Here's the version I like https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nWNXUkwI_4O1tqnyyGD8KOspwRGqmnuvg&si=poK32HxhG9lqAAJg

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Snow4maen

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
A friend of mine is a Joni Mitchell fan, she was way before my time but I have been aware of her for a while, never really made the effort to listen until my friend recommended some songs. Was adding stuff to my Apple Music library last night and found an 'essentials', just totally enjoying this now. So pleased to have found her music. Very lovely.

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 05.28.33.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.