Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Currently listening to a few tracks from Supertramp:

Take The Long Way Home is playing just now....
Currently listening to a few tracks from Supertramp:

Take The Long Way Home is playing just now....
Now there's much-enjoyed music from the past! I love Supertramp but haven't listened to them in a long time. One of my favorites has always been "Goodbye Stranger." Guess I need to fire up my iTunes Library and have a listen again.....

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
A friend of mine is a Joni Mitchell fan, she was way before my time but I have been aware of her for a while, never really made the effort to listen until my friend recommended some songs. Was adding stuff to my Apple Music library last night and found an 'essentials', just totally enjoying this now. So pleased to have found her music. Very lovely.

View attachment 2392944
Oddly enough, I am of the generation which was around when Joni was first becoming a known artist. Some of us, myself included, back in our "salad days" didn't really appreciate or understand her creativity and astonishing lyric/musical ability at the time, but thankfully that has changed. There were many others who did really "get" her and her work, which kept her moving through the music industry over the years. She was and still is indeed a consummate and distinctive artist who paved her own way and, well, sometimes just had to wait a while for the rest of us to catch on and really listen to her!

The way Joni wrote and then sang lyrics and accompanied herself in a way which added another dimension to her songs is absolutely unique. She commented on everyday things, thought about the environment and the (sometimes hurtful and painful and at other times joyful) emotional impact people have on each other years before these things became greater concerns or voiced in more songs by and for a lot of residents of this planet.

Joni is a national treasure, for both Canada and the US, and we do indeed cherish her..... I for one have been delighted with the recognition and celebration she has continued to receive these days. It's wonderful, and I can only imagine how Joni herself feels about this! She clearly is loving it, especially the performing again!

• Love
Reactions: Snow4maen

Snow4maen

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Oddly enough, I am of the generation which was around when Joni was first becoming a known artist. Some of us, myself included, back in our "salad days" didn't really appreciate or understand her creativity and astonishing lyric/musical ability at the time, but thankfully that has changed. There were many others who did really "get" her and her work, which kept her moving through the music industry over the years. She was and still is indeed a consummate and distinctive artist who paved her own way and, well, sometimes just had to wait a while for the rest of us to catch on and really listen to her!

The way Joni wrote and then sang lyrics and accompanied herself in a way which added another dimension to her songs is absolutely unique. She commented on everyday things, thought about the environment and the (sometimes hurtful and painful and at other times joyful) emotional impact people have on each other years before these things became greater concerns or voiced in more songs by and for a lot of residents of this planet.

Joni is a national treasure, for both Canada and the US, and we do indeed cherish her..... I for one have been delighted with the recognition and celebration she has continued to receive these days. It's wonderful, and I can only imagine how Joni herself feels about this! She clearly is loving it, especially the performing again!

So I’m coming to her as a total novice, I was born in 1977, grew up as a child in the 80’s, and a teen in the 90’s but have been aware she was someone respected for a long time. But my knowledge of her time is second hand at best. I’ve seen references in films and books, I’ve admired the innocence and decency of the idealism and sensitivity of that period. But look what I grew up in, the 80’s. Real different vibe!

But not to lament that, as a clueless innocent child I had a great time. Lots of fun to be had. And of course I am not an expert on world affairs, politics, economics, history. And yes I am aware there have been huge tragedies in history but the current period we are living in seem’s to me to be so much more complicated and vitriolic than ever before. While the message of her era at the time had impact, it didn���t seem to take hold. Perhaps we could use that enthusiasm for such a compassionate message more today then even when it originated?

I have a lot to learn here, about the history, and her and her views and commentary. But all I can say as a total newbie, I sat for about 3 hours listening to my playlist, and was just transformed by the beauty of her music. This kind of innocence and honesty is so sadly missing today.

My friend referenced this video of her, my first impressions were, coming as a total newbie, this person clearly commands huge respect. And also, even at an advanced age, her performance, and vocal performance are absolutely remarkable.

I could feel regret I have not known sooner, I could feel disengaged with the current era. But then I could look at the gift she had given us, and think, it’s still useful now. But perhaps I am a naive idealist?

Joni Mitchell Gershwin Prize Tribute

The Way It Is

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
This whole song is great, but I love the second half of it! I've been taking my bass guitar out a lot lately, and it's a lot of fun to play, too! Almost the entire bass line (at least in the second half) is on the offbeats. The chord progression is a pretty standard neo-soul thing.

EDIT: I'm so stupid, how can I forget about the metric modulations from 4:41 onwards! That's like the best part!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Don't ask me why I like 60s/70s library music... but I do.

Terrific choices and a timely reminder to dig some of these out.

I absolutely love this stuff, as well and have several (and, I mean several) CDs on my computer's iTunes and on my iPod with a selection of this sort of music.

Will take an look and see if I can find some further recommendations for you.

Reactions: rm5

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
A friend of mine is a Joni Mitchell fan, she was way before my time but I have been aware of her for a while, never really made the effort to listen until my friend recommended some songs. Was adding stuff to my Apple Music library last night and found an 'essentials', just totally enjoying this now. So pleased to have found her music. Very lovely.
I consider Joni's "Shadows and Light" concert to be an essential DVD, part of it is on EweTube:

What a band! Lyle Mays and more "traditional" Pat Metheny, Jaco, Michael Brecker (RIP). A beautiful show!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.