Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
was hoping for imac updates early 2019, would be really lame to stretch out update to back end
I'll probably just get a refurbished base iMac Pro for $4200. It's only a little more expensive than a high-end 2017 iMac, and is much faster, with significantly better cooling, which also means quieter. I don't think they're going to release a refreshed iMac that beats the iMac Pro, with 8 cores, Vega 64, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, at a bargain price.

I wonder what the new display tech will be, though. OLED would be awesome, but I highly doubt it. Maybe QLED, with very thin bezels. But the bezels have never bothered me in a desktop. I'm still on a 2015 iMac at the moment, with a less than satisfactory GPU performance.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Pretty credible rumor from Bloomberg and one we've also heard from multiple sources. I can tweak the wording. Just FYI, everything in here is based on rumor as mentioned up top. Thanks for the feedback :)
I agree that it’s very likely, and like many I’d expect it in lower-powered MacBook, MacBook Air, and maybe 13” MBP at first. Possibly never for iMac Pro/Mac Pro, given the small sales volume of those models, and the relative difficulty of exceeding Intel’s price/performance point. Plus the iMac Pro is reasonably popular with developers, and there’s probably a fair amount of demand for running Windows/Linux VMs.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m hearing the 9.7" iPad is probably done for.

For the ‘Pro’ line, it is. But for the entry-level iPad, it’s still retains. The Reality is, the 9.7 iPad is perfect more in line for the education based demographic, which is what Apple really is aiming for the school systems, and it’s perfect for just a basic media device for those who don’t really have the need for the more expensive features of the Pro line offering.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I’m hearing the 9.7" iPad is probably done for.
Extremely unlikely, unless you refer to the rumor of it getting a slightly larger 10”-ish screen. $329 is a great price point, though $299 would be better.

On the subject of iPad, if the mini 5 retains the incredible display of the mini 4, I don’t necessary see the price dropping as some rumors claim. Maybe a 32GB model at $349 or something, but it might very well keep the $399 entry level price. Hoping for Pencil support (I’d think Pencil 1 not 2) but I don’t think it’s a given.

Reactions: orbital~debris

jecowa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
I agree that it’s very likely, and like many I’d expect it in lower-powered MacBook, MacBook Air, and maybe 13” MBP at first. Possibly never for iMac Pro/Mac Pro, given the small sales volume of those models, and the relative difficulty of exceeding Intel’s price/performance point. Plus the iMac Pro is reasonably popular with developers, and there’s probably a fair amount of demand for running Windows/Linux VMs.

There's a rumor Apple is dropping Intel in 2020. Apple is working on a new app type that combines ARM and AMD64 binaries. AMD is more willing than Intel to do custom stuff, and AMD has been playing around with combining multiple chips onto a single package. I think we could see an iMac and MacBook Pro that includes both an AMD and Apple CPU together. I guess we kind of already have that, though, with the T2 chip. I'm wondering if that T2 chip might be capable of running an upcoming ARM version of MacOS.

Jcxa

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Athens, GA
It all sounds like Apple is preparing to drag out Hardware release dates for as long as possible. I would not be surprised that in the last two months of the year the announcements will start with product not arriving until after Christmas. I wish they would get back to real innovation. I have had more than enough of fake innovations.

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
The Reality is, the 9.7 iPad is perfect more in line for the education based demographic, which is what Apple really is aiming for the school systems, and it’s perfect for just a basic media device for those who don’t really have the need for the more expensive features of the Pro line offering.

Precisely. Not everyone who uses a pen is a professional illustrator, animator or cartoonist. There are plenty of students and engineers who just want to jot down equations, figures, charts, with the purpose of problem solving rather than art. In fact, there are a lot more chemists, doctors, engineers than manga artists. I only need a pencil replacement, not a full-blown set of pressure-sensitive art brushes. Yes, I use the huge iPad Pro, because the Apple pencil was initially released with that device, but I would totally be OK with the cheaper iPad, as long as it supports the pencil.

Reactions: harriska2 and Plett

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The Mac Pro already slipped a year. I remember there was an interview with Phil Schiller in the last quarter of 2017 where he said "Apple has never been more committed to it's pro customers" (LOL, OK Phil) and to expect a new Mac Pro in the first half of 2018... well, that never happened.

I hope you have a "pro" use case and are as dedicated to Apple as Apple is to you because the next Mac Pro isn't going to be for hobbyists. Expect it to be $5,000-$25,000 maxed out. If you make movies for Hollywood you are nothing to be disappointed.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Every year it seems we get "next year for iPhones will be super exciting!!!"

Then at the start of the year it's like "feature X for new iPhones delayed till next year"

Apple released a very minor update last year and sales fell flat, it needs something exciting this year with iPhones, please.

Cameras with lasers. If you aren't excited each and every year and expect to be excited this year you really are in a self fulfilling pattern of obtuse revelations.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

[*]Apple News Service - Apple is planning a $9.99 per month subscription news service that would give unlimited access to paywalled sites like The New York Times and the Washington Post. Not all news sites are on board yet, but this is expected to be announced at the March 25 event.

[*]iOS 12.2 - iOS 12.2 expands Apple News to Canada ...

I keep seeing this Apple News coming to Canada, yet I see Apple News on my Canadian iPhone using my Canadian iCloud account since just over a year ago on the left of my notification slide. What am I misunderstanding here?

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I don’t think that I will be upgrading much in the way of hardware this year, I’m looking forward to Apple glasses, but I doubt that will be this year. I’m happy with my XS Max and will hold onto it for another year or two. I’m also happy with my iPad Pro 12.9” 3rd gen, but could look at upgrading my iPad Pro 10.5” to the 11” 2nd gen when it comes out (2020?). My Airpods were replaced recently, so I’m also happy with those, but I could be tempted by an upgrade and pass my current ones to my daughter and will weigh that up when the time comes.

Reactions: orbital~debris

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I might switch back to iPads should Apple release a new Mini.

I may be interested in a new Icelake equipped MacBook Air, should we get one in November. If that’s the case, I’ll probably pick up an Apple display then too.

I could be persuaded to sign up to the new services, especially the news service. I’m also receptive to the Apple Watch 5 since I didn’t think the Series 4 was much of an upgrade over my Series 2.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Can we PLEASE update iOS for iPad with some meaningful improvements for power users?

I really need a reason to upgrade my 10.5" iPhone Pro.

Reactions: riber79

T.j.p.

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Business
You’all can thank me. I’ve been putting off upgrades to my 2013 Mac Pro. Last week I upgraded the memory. I have a 8 core processor and 2tb very fast internal SSD on order. So expect the announcement at WWDC of the 2019 Mac Pro and shipping dates for early August (to avoid the fall iPhone clash). And one more thing ...

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Poor Mac Pro, even trash can was excluded from Apple product photo family lol.

Apple tried to buy time by making iMac Pro while promising building modular Mac Pro, but it looks just priority excuse. Why Apple can build iMac Pro in really short time with better internal layout change while modernizing cheese grater is really piece of cake for them if they really intended to. Cheese grater in space gray would sold like a hotcakes for pro user demanding with serious headless Mac.

But yeah until that time please don't cut support for current 5.1 users. At least thanks to Apple quietly provided prolonged support for 5.1 like NVMe, native Polaris/Vega support.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
It all sounds like Apple is preparing to drag out Hardware release dates for as long as possible. I would not be surprised that in the last two months of the year the announcements will start with product not arriving until after Christmas. I wish they would get back to real innovation. I have had more than enough of fake innovations.
Only innovation now is how can Apple make money with the least amount of effort or logistics. iOS, accessories and now services.

Polymorphic

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
I hope you have a "pro" use case and are as dedicated to Apple as Apple is to you because the next Mac Pro isn't going to be for hobbyists. Expect it to be $5,000-$25,000 maxed out. If you make movies for Hollywood you are nothing to be disappointed.

Hollywood mostly moved on from the Mac a while ago.

The 2019 Mac Pro (2020?) will be too little, too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.