Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I used to use a radar detector, and it saved me from tickets many times.

Since I now live in Virginia, which is one of the few places in the US that radar detectors are illegal, I no longer use mine. Cruise control and paying attention to speed limit signs has worked well. I'm actually finding it more relaxing to keep my speed to the speed limit or five miles over.

The state police, at least in this part of Virginia, seem to not pay attention to anyone going within nine miles of the speed limit, at least on the highways.

As for a dash cam, I'm seriously considering getting one, if for no other reason than to record the interesting things that I see in my travels.

Whenever I drive through VA, I always unplug my Radar Detector, so I don’t get caught by a Radar Detector Detector lol…

Waze is great thing to have running in the background with or without a Radar Detector. It’s probably WAY more effective than Laser (since you are usually caught when if your detector goes off). On road trips, I use both.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Whenever I drive through VA, I always unplug my Radar Detector, so I don’t get caught by a Radar Detector Detector lol…

Waze is great thing to have running in the background with or without a Radar Detector. It’s probably WAY more effective than Laser (since you are usually caught when if your detector goes off). On road trips, I use both.

And yes, that is a thing. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

Reactions: Matz

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
lol... Now I have to... How do you know?

Coming back from the beach late one night through Virginia. Even though it was dark, I had put the radar detector on the floor.

It goes off, I slow down, blue lights come on and I'm pulled over. Know they may confiscate them., I grabbed the detector and shoved it down my pants. (I was early 20's). He came to the window and told me he clocked me at something or something over the limit and that he wanted my radar detector. I tried to play dumb but he was "We have detector detectors, son". So while he was standing there, I had to reach into my pants and pull it out. He did get a good laugh at it.

Fortunately he was pretty cool about it and just made me put it in the trunk and only gave me a ticket for speeding. Which I got out of. :)

Reactions: JT2002TJ and Matz

Infinity Vortex

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2024
Coming back from the beach late one night through Virginia. Even though it was dark, I had put the radar detector on the floor.

It goes off, I slow down, blue lights come on and I'm pulled over. Know they may confiscate them., I grabbed the detector and shoved it down my pants. (I was early 20's). He came to the window and told me he clocked me at something or something over the limit and that he wanted my radar detector. I tried to play dumb but he was "We have detector detectors, son". So while he was standing there, I had to reach into my pants and pull it out. He did get a good laugh at it.

Fortunately he was pretty cool about it and just made me put it in the trunk and only gave me a ticket for speeding. Which I got out of. :)
I got a speeding ticket last year. A place I used to travel frequently but not so much anymore had reduced the speed limit on a section of road from 50 to 35 and I didn’t realize it. When I went to court at least one other person was there for speeding on that same section of road. Got it reduced to an equipment violation. No insurance rate increase.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Got it reduced to an equipment violation. No insurance rate increase.

And that's how I got out of mine. Within a week I had gotten multiple letters from attorney's saying they can get it reduced to an equipment violation. Sure enough, the one I hired did.

No points, no insurance increase, but I had to pay the fine and the attorney.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
When I went to court at least one other person was there for speeding on that same section of road. Got it reduced to an equipment violation. No insurance rate increase.
Within a week I had gotten multiple letters from attorney's saying they can get it reduced to an equipment violation. Sure enough, the one I hired did.
What type of equipment violation? Broken speedometer?

• Haha
Reactions: Infinity Vortex

Infinity Vortex

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2024
And that's how I got out of mine. Within a week I had gotten multiple letters from attorney's saying they can get it reduced to an equipment violation. Sure enough, the one I hired did.

No points, no insurance increase, but I had to pay the fine and the attorney.
Yup same situation. My attorney wasn’t too expensive either. A few hundred bucks. Definitely less than the rate increase would have been.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I was shown a picture of the model of this by a friend last year or year before as his son works for RB, but it’s Red Bulls new Newey designed track car only for rich folk to buy! Now shown off for the first time. Cosworth V10 naturally aspirated, 15,000 RPM, also an electric motor hybrid for low speed and reverse, 1200HP total, lap times that match an F1 car…. I can only imagine how wonderful it’ll sound! Also around 875KG weight…..

Around 5 mil to buy, probably plus tax I ‘d imagine too. Still if you have the money this is a very rare opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I was shown a picture of the model of this by a friend last year or year before as his son works for RB, but it’s Red Bulls new Newey designed track car only for rich folk to buy! Now shown off for the first time. Cosworth V10 naturally aspirated, 15,000 RPM, also an electric motor hybrid for low speed and reverse, 1200HP total, lap times that match an F1 car…. I can only imagine how wonderful it’ll sound! Also around 875KG weight…..

Around 5 mil to buy, probably plus tax I ‘d imagine too. Still if you have the money this is a very rare opportunity.
Looks like a blue Batmobile to me

• Haha
Reactions: Pezimak

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The new A5. Not bad, looks like a typical over designed contemporary Audi. Looks like they've succumbed to the tablet dash theme everyone else is doing.

ICE and Electric options. Coupé gone and replaced with sedan/estate.

Audi-S5-Avant-17-copy-scaled.jpeg Audi-S5-Avant-18-copy-scaled.jpeg
Audi-S5-Sedan-14-copy-scaled.jpeg Audi-S5-Sedan-15-copy-scaled.jpeg
Audi-S5-Sedan-33.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.