Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Tesla did a great job with a cool feature. If you open an address in Apple Maps or Waze, you press the send button in the app and select the Tesla app, it will send the address to your Tesla's GPS. With 2 Teslas, I have to decide which one to send the address to, all you have to do is go into the Tesla app first and pick which vehicle you want to control, then jump back into Maps and send the address.

I've sent this to my wife's car for her, instead of texting it to her and her having to put it into the car.

You also are able to sync your calendar on your phone to Tesla, so as long as you have the appointment in your calendar with address, the address will come up as you get in the car. But for the times you don't have it, you can do the above trick.

Does BMW have something similar? Maybe it does and you aren't aware?
It does tbh but I find Apple Maps works fine enough for me. Obviously the calendar syncs automatically with Apple CarPlay.

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
That’s exactly how it works. You just use Apple Maps or Waize like you would on your phone. One of the reasons I prefer that over the BMW own navigation, is you can look up the address before you leave the house and it’s right there ready to go when you leave.
Thanks! I am pleased with the feature, since Maps works quite well in the iPhone. We don't stream music and things like that, but often use Maps for directions and then "dropping a pin" a mile or two from the destination.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Carplay/Android Auto essentially make your vehicles headunit into a TV screen. The Carplay/Android Auto OS is run on the phone, with the apps play on the phone.

So, it is actually using the iPhone's GPS app.
I realized how nice that feature is when pairing my iPhone with the head unit of my wife's truck.

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
I want one of those Bug
I realized how nice that feature is when pairing my iPhone with the head unit of my wife's truck.

The latest Porsche and Aston Martin models get the brand new CarPlay integration which does a lot more than before, really well done.

I love it - my car is slightly older (before CarPlay became common) so it got a new head-unit (a direct replacement of the original factory one) that does have CarPlay and Android auto, it's very convenient having that and far better than the original sat-nav system.

I would dream to have a Bugatti Tourbillon if someone can spare multiple millions of dollars. Please?! ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks! I am pleased with the feature, since Maps works quite well in the iPhone. We don't stream music and things like that, but often use Maps for directions and then "dropping a pin" a mile or two from the destination.
I use Siri to dial or send texts as well which is handy (or is that hands free?).
And Apple Music when I don’t fancy the digital radio.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I want one of those Bug

The latest Porsche and Aston Martin models get the brand new CarPlay integration which does a lot more than before, really well done.

I love it - my car is slightly older (before CarPlay became common) so it got a new head-unit (a direct replacement of the original factory one) that does have CarPlay and Android auto, it's very convenient having that and far better than the original sat-nav system.

I would dream to have a Bugatti Tourbillon if someone can spare multiple millions of dollars. Please?! ;)
Polestar also has nice Apple CarPlay integration across multiple screens that are available. Interestingly it runs on top of the excellent Android Automotive Operating System which does NOT support Android Auto 🤷‍♂️🤣

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Anyone run a radar detector and/or dash cam setup?

I used to (still have it sitting on my desk) run a Uniden DFR7 and a Ring Dashcam in my truck. The Ring was nice that it had cellular and fisheye views to capture everything inside, and in front.

With the Teslas, they already have a dash cam using their internal cameras. I haven't gotten around to installing the radar detector. My last job was 40 miles from home opposite of rush hour traffic, so the detector was a LIFE SAVOR. Now I'm closer, but never hit speeds alone.

Waze is great, but the 1 time I got pulled over (had waze up and my detector going) on my 40 mile commute, the bumper-to-bumper traffic on the other side didn't report the cop, because it didn't really matter to them (since they were in traffic). He got me with laser, which, basically there is nothing you can do.

When the detector lets you know you got lasered (when you are speeding), you might as well start pulling over and getting your license and registration out...

Reactions: Matz

Infinity Vortex

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2024
I used to (still have it sitting on my desk) run a Uniden DFR7 and a Ring Dashcam in my truck. The Ring was nice that it had cellular and fisheye views to capture everything inside, and in front.

With the Teslas, they already have a dash cam using their internal cameras. I haven't gotten around to installing the radar detector. My last job was 40 miles from home opposite of rush hour traffic, so the detector was a LIFE SAVOR. Now I'm closer, but never hit speeds alone.

Waze is great, but the 1 time I got pulled over (had waze up and my detector going) on my 40 mile commute, the bumper-to-bumper traffic on the other side didn't report the cop, because it didn't really matter to them (since they were in traffic). He got me with laser, which, basically there is nothing you can do.

When the detector lets you know you got lasered (when you are speeding), you might as well start pulling over and getting your license and registration out...
I’ve got a Thinkware U3000 cam but no detector. The Uniden R9 looks nice because it’s also a laser jammer, but the price is eye watering.

Infinity Vortex

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2024
Radar still a thing in the US? In the UK it’s very rare to see one. Mostly fixed speed cameras that are on all the sat nav’s anyway.
I have a Nextbase front and rear dashcam. Always had one since I got punched in the face by a road rage idiot.
Yeah radar is still quite common here.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I’ve got a Thinkware U3000 cam but no detector. The Uniden R9 looks nice because it’s also a laser jammer, but the price is eye watering.

I would be concerned about getting caught using a laser jammer. Lasers are so specific that even in a crowd when they “light” you you up, they know it would be you jamming them. At least with radar jammers, if there are other cars around, they wouldn’t be able to pick you out of the crowd.

At least that is how I see it.

Reactions: Chuckeee

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Radar still a thing in the US? In the UK it’s very rare to see one. Mostly fixed speed cameras that are on all the sat nav’s anyway.
I have a Nextbase front and rear dashcam. Always had one since I got punched in the face by a road rage idiot.

There are speed cameras in specific areas. My county had them, but they were issuing tickets for people going appropriate speeds in school zones off hours (above the during hours school zone speed 25 but below regular 35 mph speed limit). People were still being issued court fees, even though they were within the law. They were voted out after years of people being rightfully pissed.

NYC has them. A new one was added in Brooklyn on my route, I snapped a picture and submitted it to Waze. It is now in Waze, but my Tesla maps doesn’t show it since it is so new (all the others on my route are there). Tesla maps in the latest general OS release will ding as you approach speed cameras (it is really nicely executed).

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I got dashcams from Thinkware front/back. Also got a pro subscription to Flitsmeister which is the best app ever with superb flexible variable average speed functions, even got live blue light services warning before you see the lights and hear the sirens. By far the best legal option in my region.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
There are speed cameras in specific areas. My county had them, but they were issuing tickets for people going appropriate speeds in school zones off hours (above the during hours school zone speed 25 but below regular 35 mph speed limit). People were still being issued court fees, even though they were within the law. They were voted out after years of people being rightfully pissed.

NYC has them. A new one was added in Brooklyn on my route, I snapped a picture and submitted it to Waze. It is now in Waze, but my Tesla maps doesn’t show it since it is so new (all the others on my route are there). Tesla maps in the latest general OS release will ding as you approach speed cameras (it is really nicely executed).
So I pass around 3-5 on my way to work. They are everywhere here. Lots on motorways. They are incredibly accurate.
They also have average speed cameras. You have to cameras say 5 mile apart. It knows the quickest time you can legally get from the first to the second. Best that time and you are getting a letter.

My i3 displays the speed you should be going. Generally I just set the adaptive cruise control.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I want one of those Bug

I want one of those Bug

Lucky you being able to enjoy such automobile :)
I use Siri to dial or send texts as well which is handy (or is that hands free?).
And Apple Music when I don’t fancy the digital radio.
My wife and I just listen to the playlists we have in our respective iPhones. Siri is OK most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't spell some names correctly. For example, the name Cathryn, Catherine, Katherine, and so on gets Siri confused :)

Infinity Vortex

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2024
I would be concerned about getting caught using a laser jammer. Lasers are so specific that even in a crowd when they “light” you you up, they know it would be you jamming them. At least with radar jammers, if there are other cars around, they wouldn’t be able to pick you out of the crowd.

At least that is how I see it.
Laser jammers are actually only illegal in a few states. From my research it seems that laser guns also aren’t as user friendly as radar guns either, so it’s not uncommon for a cop to need to try a couple attempts to get a car’s speed even without a jammer. You’re supposed to use a jam to kill method where you reduce your speed for a few seconds before disabling your jammers when the detector goes off. I’d be highly nervous about using a radar jammer though since they’re illegal federally with penalties of up to $50k and 5 years in prison.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Wasn't it somewhere in England that some teens would steal the mayor's tags and drive past a speed camera like 20 over and then put the tags back on his car?

• Haha
Reactions: Matz and Chuckeee

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Anyone run a radar detector and/or dash cam setup?
I used to use a radar detector, and it saved me from tickets many times.

Since I now live in Virginia, which is one of the few places in the US that radar detectors are illegal, I no longer use mine. Cruise control and paying attention to speed limit signs has worked well. I'm actually finding it more relaxing to keep my speed to the speed limit or five miles over.

The state police, at least in this part of Virginia, seem to not pay attention to anyone going within nine miles of the speed limit, at least on the highways.

As for a dash cam, I'm seriously considering getting one, if for no other reason than to record the interesting things that I see in my travels.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Wasn't it somewhere in England that some teens would steal the mayor's tags and drive past a speed camera like 20 over and then put the tags back on his car?
I doubt it. A mayor is a ceremonial post in England, won't have any special privileges attached to it. Secondly, we don't have tags, they are vehicle registration number plates. Not even blue light services are exempt. Nor are diplomatic vehicles. Nice story, but simply not true.

Reactions: I7guy

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Radar is very common in the US. I’d say more so than laser. it’s easier because a policeman can pull on the shoulder, switch on the radar, drink his coffee and wait for something to pop up. Laser requires aiming at a specific vehicle. In big cities, I’ve seen laser used by motorcycle cops. Where I live, we don’t have any type of speed or red light cameras. Each state has their own laws on this so California for example might be different.

I used to have a radar detector when I was a speed demon in my younger days but now I have an EV and concentrate more on efficiency. It doesn’t make sense unless there’s an emergency to speed. You only get places few minutes early unless you’re really going fast and that could be jail time in the USA.

I always have a dash cam because people will lie to not take responsibility. I’ve had it happen to me where someone lied and the cop believed them. I recommend getting a dash cam that has both front and rear cameras. If that’s too expensive, any dash cam is better than no dash cam.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Radar is very common in the US. I’d say more so than laser. it’s easier because a policeman can pull on the shoulder, switch on the radar, drink his coffee and wait for something to pop up. Laser requires aiming at a specific vehicle. In big cities, I’ve seen laser used by motorcycle cops. Where I live, we don’t have any type of speed or red light cameras. Each state has their own laws on this so California for example might be different.

I used to have a radar detector when I was a speed demon in my younger days but now I have an EV and concentrate more on efficiency. It doesn’t make sense unless there’s an emergency to speed. You only get places few minutes early unless you’re really going fast and that could be jail time in the USA.

I always have a dash cam because people will lie to not take responsibility. I’ve had it happen to me where someone lied and the cop believed them. I recommend getting a dash cam that has both front and rear cameras. If that’s too expensive, any dash cam is better than no dash cam.

The UK is full of ANPR cameras that record speed also. The police employ third parties to sit by the sides of the road as temporary speed cameras, but rely largely on static cameras to flag up uninsured drivers and those braking the speed limit. Any fines I’ve had have come from gantry cameras or average speed cameras etc.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The UK is full of ANPR cameras that record speed also. The police employ third parties to sit by the sides of the road as temporary speed cameras, but rely largely on static cameras to flag up uninsured drivers and those braking the speed limit. Any fines I’ve had have come from gantry cameras or average speed cameras etc.
As much as people here would hate it I would love to see police speed traps replaced by cameras. It’s much safer for everyone. In the USA traffic stops are just an excuse to search people to see if they are committing crimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.