Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
Would love to have this: https://duttongarage.com/BMW-E-M-R~52500

Alpine white 1995 BMW M3R no.06/15 by BMW Motorsport / Frank Gardner Racing - Australia

The only one of the 15 that still retains the radio and AC. Engine is S50B30 3.0L with 239kW and overall weight reduced by 100kg.

These 15 cars were intended for track use and on-road "Targa" rally events.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
A young lad crashed into me this morning on my commute, rear shunt at 15-20mph. So annoying but not a lot of damage on my car, although theirs is possibly written off with bumper, grill and radiator damaged on a 2015 VW Polo GTi. I need a bumper re-spray and a couple of bits on it filled. I agreed not to go through the insurance as mine is easily repaired and his insurance is £3050 a year apparently. He was in tears and I felt sorry for him.
This was the worst of the damage on my A4 and all sensors are working. Could have been worse.
ef88c5fdf0c6e4bf76cfe04d7558857e.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Matz and decafjava

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
A young lad crashed into me this morning on my commute, rear shunt at 15-20mph. So annoying but not a lot of damage on my car, although theirs is possibly written off with bumper, grill and radiator damaged on a 2015 VW Polo GTi. I need a bumper re-spray and a couple of bits on it filled. I agreed not to go through the insurance as mine is easily repaired and his insurance is £3050 a year apparently. He was in tears and I felt sorry for him.
This was the worst of the damage on my A4 and all sensors are working. Could have been worse.
ef88c5fdf0c6e4bf76cfe04d7558857e.jpg
Even when not using insurance to pay for it, legally it still has to be reported as an accident. I appreciate the best intentions to mitigate the impact on both parties, but good intentions have a habit of biting back when you least expect it.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Question for those of you who have a navigator built in the car. How often do you update the maps?
It’s continuously for me with live OTA updates. My car runs the Android Automotive Operating System and thus uses Google Maps. As I've got my common routes and areas synched locally, I can see map updates several times per week coming through.

Last edited:

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Question for those of you who have a navigator built in the car. How often do you update the maps?
I looked at it for a past car my mom have, some small Maza that was top spec'd and had built in Nav. They wanted a couple hundred CDN if I remember right to update the map which is crazy, especially when you could buy a Nav for cheaper and it would come with life time map updates. Now with Apple CarPlay there is no real reason to use the built in Nav on her current newer Mazda.

If your area is going through a lot of construction and changes then might be worth it it you drive around a lot to those new areas.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011

You can do that? ;)

I never have. The dealer might when it is in for service, but I never use them now that phones have more current info.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
On my Golf I did it once or twice. You downloaded it onto an SD card. A bit of a faff, but no Apple CarPlay play option on my model.

On my BMW it's done over the air automatically I believe. But 99% of the time I use Apple CarPlay.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013

My Teslas get OTA updates at least 2x per year. We got one last week.

On my previous vehicles, if it was on disc/flash, I would hunt down EBAY for someone selling them, or on forums. If the manufacturer updated the maps, I would update it. I have had vehicles where the manufacturer’s maps weren’t updated for years and years.

As stated, it is nice to be able to use Waze on the phone. I submitted a new speed camera and it appeared on Waze maps within 24 hrs. I keep Waze open on my phone since Tesla’s don’t have CarPlay, I only use it for camera/police/accident/hazard notifications.

Tesla has integrated speed cameras now in their maps, it even now dings before you get to them. If they add crowd sourcing updates like Waze, I wont miss Waze. Right now, I have no idea how to pass along the same info to Tesla, so that new camera does not appear.

Last edited:

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
I've done it a few times on older vehicles, or aftermarket head units. In my truck I have an old Kenwood in dash unit with Garmin navigation. I would go online and buy newer versions of the SD card and install it in the navigation card slot. I did similar with my fathers 2013 F150.

Typically I would go online and look for people selling their old cards and buy them used. For example Ford would put out a new SD card with maps for my dad's truck every year. I think it was after Ford released the 2018 maps I went online and bought someone's 2017 map card and installed it in his truck. It wasn't totally up to date, but it was better than the 2012 or 2013 map card his F150 came with.

Now I typically use my iPhone in my truck, and my dad has upgraded to a 2018 F150 with CarPlay, so I haven't bothered in a few years. My Charger and my wife's Odyssey both have CarPlay so I haven't bothered messing with their built in navigation ever.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I've done it a few times on older vehicles, or aftermarket head units. In my truck I have an old Kenwood in dash unit with Garmin navigation. I would go online and buy newer versions of the SD card and install it in the navigation card slot. I did similar with my fathers 2013 F150.

Typically I would go online and look for people selling their old cards and buy them used. For example Ford would put out a new SD card with maps for my dad's truck every year. I think it was after Ford released the 2018 maps I went online and bought someone's 2017 map card and installed it in his truck. It wasn't totally up to date, but it was better than the 2012 or 2013 map card his F150 came with.

Now I typically use my iPhone in my truck, and my dad has upgraded to a 2018 F150 with CarPlay, so I haven't bothered in a few years. My Charger and my wife's Odyssey both have CarPlay so I haven't bothered messing with their built in navigation ever.
My wife's 2023 Tacoma has CarPlay, but we have to read the manual some more to figure how to use it. I am assuming that CarPlay uses the iPhone data in order to operate the navigational features (Maps), but I don't really know (been quite busy recently). We would be interested only on the navigational feature of CarPlay, and text and voice.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My wife's 2023 Tacoma has CarPlay, but we have to read the manual some more to figure how to use it. I am assuming that CarPlay uses the iPhone data in order to operate the navigational features (Maps), but I don't really know (been quite busy recently). We would be interested only on the navigational feature of CarPlay, and text and voice.
That’s exactly how it works. You just use Apple Maps or Waize like you would on your phone. One of the reasons I prefer that over the BMW own navigation, is you can look up the address before you leave the house and it’s right there ready to go when you leave.

Reactions: Chuckeee

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013

Carplay/Android Auto essentially make your vehicles headunit into a TV screen. The Carplay/Android Auto OS is run on the phone, with the apps play on the phone.

So, it is actually using the iPhone's GPS app.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
That’s exactly how it works. You just use Apple Maps or Waize like you would on your phone. One of the reasons I prefer that over the BMW own navigation, is you can look up the address before you leave the house and it’s right there ready to go when you leave.

Tesla did a great job with a cool feature. If you open an address in Apple Maps or Waze, you press the send button in the app and select the Tesla app, it will send the address to your Tesla's GPS. With 2 Teslas, I have to decide which one to send the address to, all you have to do is go into the Tesla app first and pick which vehicle you want to control, then jump back into Maps and send the address.

I've sent this to my wife's car for her, instead of texting it to her and her having to put it into the car.

You also are able to sync your calendar on your phone to Tesla, so as long as you have the appointment in your calendar with address, the address will come up as you get in the car. But for the times you don't have it, you can do the above trick.

Does BMW have something similar? Maybe it does and you aren't aware?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Tesla did a great job with a cool feature. If you open an address in Apple Maps or Waze, you press the send button in the app and select the Tesla app, it will send the address to your Tesla's GPS. With 2 Teslas, I have to decide which one to send the address to, all you have to do is go into the Tesla app first and pick which vehicle you want to control, then jump back into Maps and send the address.

I've sent this to my wife's car for her, instead of texting it to her and her having to put it into the car.

You also are able to sync your calendar on your phone to Tesla, so as long as you have the appointment in your calendar with address, the address will come up as you get in the car. But for the times you don't have it, you can do the above trick.

Does BMW have something similar? Maybe it does and you aren't aware?
It does. As does Mercedes and Porsche and also AAOS based cars. 👍 Good feature indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.