Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pushover486

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2014
I've been using macOS since Mavericks. Just upgraded today from Ventura to Sonoma 14.5 directly, and for the first time with macOS, I'm having such a problem.

With Ventura, I had another strange issue: I received a "your computer was not shut down correctly" alert on every boot, which I couldn't get rid of. But I lived with it for a while.

Honestly, I wouldn't have upgraded since Catalina if I wasn't an Apple developer. Apple prevents me from releasing updates for my iOS app unless I use the latest macOS.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rmadsen3

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Aside from Finder windows sometimes being out of focus (and I cannot bring them back in focus unless I quit Finder), I have not noticed issues.
I love how I am saying this as if it's some minor issue, it's damn annoying when it happens, it kicks me out of the flow (if you've ever been in this state of flow, you will know what I mean and how annoying it is when you're kicked out if it by something or someone).

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
I started getting nagged about some things losing support on Monterey so I upgraded to Sonoma today.

I can't say it was a problem, necessarily. Just that in most cases, there was no difference, and thus no apparent need for a major version release; and where there are differences, they're all objectively worse than before.

This system settings thing, for one. LOL, why? Who needed this? I think it's because the window doesn't resize dynamically, and that made it easier for their increasingly untalented development team to maintain it.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
A lot of the changes are “under the hood” type of changes where you may not see something visually different, but things are very different.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
A lot of the changes are “under the hood” type of changes where you may not see something visually different, but things are very different.
This is exactly why I will never, ever upgrade away from Ventura. macOS is clearly now something Apple no longer cares about. Sonoma is an unmitigated disaster. Tim Cook is just fine letting macOS die.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Yeah, he’s a hater from way back. He may have said something good/positive/nice about Apple and its wares at one point, but I’m pretty sure that I missed it.

Macs I've owned: Mac Plus, Mac SE, Classic II, LC III, Quadra 630, eMac, MacBook Pro (2009), MacBook (2016?), iMac (2017), MacBook Air (2019), Mac Mini M1, MacBook Air (2023).

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I've literally never seen or heard anything like this about Sanoma until I randomly saw this thread.
I've been running Sanoma on my 2009 Mac Pro 5,1 since probably 14.1 and I haven't had a problem. In fact I haven't been able to really tell a difference since I had Monterey installed on it. I skipped Big Sur. Mac OS has been pretty little upgrades in recent years. Granted I haven't done a lot with it these days besides use it as an overpowered web browser.

No, Sanoma is not the worst OS ever. It's a fine OS. I prefer Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard if we're comparing OS'es. But, Sanoma is fine.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020

Like what?

"Under the hood changes" reminds me of the "bugfixes and improvements" release notes. Yes of course an operating system has many components that will evolve incrementally with each release, no matter how minor the release.

The first under-the-hood change/"feature" I noticed was implementing a punishment for not accepting automatic updates. Luckily it's something I don't really care about, like disabling apple pay.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Macs I've owned: Mac Plus, Mac SE, Classic II, LC III, Quadra 630, eMac, MacBook Pro (2009), MacBook (2016?), iMac (2017), MacBook Air (2019), Mac Mini M1, MacBook Air (2023).

And I’ve yet to read anything positive from you about the company.

There are things about Apple that make me crazy mad, too… but some things still “just work”.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I've literally never seen or heard anything like this about Sanoma until I randomly saw this thread.
I've been running Sanoma on my 2009 Mac Pro 5,1 since probably 14.1 and I haven't had a problem. In fact I haven't been able to really tell a difference since I had Monterey installed on it. I skipped Big Sur. Mac OS has been pretty little upgrades in recent years. Granted I haven't done a lot with it these days besides use it as an overpowered web browser.

No, Sanoma is not the worst OS ever. It's a fine OS. I prefer Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard if we're comparing OS'es. But, Sanoma is fine.
My thoughts are the same. So far Sonoma has not presented any issues for my use, OS works as described for me. Any stating Sonoma is useless without ever trying the OS simply cant be taken seriously as they have zero experience of the OS and are seemingly only intent on creating a negative echo chamber.

Do I think Sonoma is perfect? no, do I think some will incur issues? yes, however for the most part the OS is solid. If Sonoma was a bad as @Eric Idle is trying to project it would have blown up by now, similar to the Butterfly Keyboard and many more. It hasn't...

Q-6

Last edited:

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
And I’ve yet to read anything positive from you about the company.

There are things about Apple that make me crazy mad, too… but some things still “just work”.

Personally, there has been a trend for quite a while now that leaves me with few positive things to say about Apple. At present they're still "better than Microsoft," but considering my opinion of Microsoft, that's simply an expected minimum.

Fewer and fewer things "just work."

None of their changes from the old are enticing to me. The dumned down 'convergence' interfaces are a pure negative. The OS as a (subscription) service model is insulting and disrespectful.

It's a mystery to me who (other than Apple executives) actively _wants_ many of the changes Apple has made the last few years, as opposed to who just accepts it.

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
This system settings thing, for one. LOL, why? Who needed this?

Well. I was waiting for the settings in system preferences to appear in the sidebar - that is, like they work in all normal apps on the Mac - for many years. And submitted quite a few feedbacks to Apple.

Before that, we had to constantly switch back-and-forth between individual panels in System Preferences and the view of all settings because they could not be viewed at the same time.

Finally, Apple did the right thing in Ventura. The System Settings app still needs some work - but they're on the right track at least.

Reactions: Ben J.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Well. I was waiting for the settings in system preferences to appear in the sidebar - that is, like they work in all normal apps on the Mac - for many years. And submitted quite a few feedbacks to Apple.

Before that, we had to constantly switch back-and-forth between individual panels in System Preferences and the view of all settings because they could not be viewed at the same time.

Finally, Apple did the right thing in Ventura. The System Settings app still needs some work - but they're on the right track at least.
Just a general remark: I bet that SONOMA is far better than the average of all software that you all have produced.
In other words: thank heaven that SONOMA was created by APPLE.
;JOOP!

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
After a day of general usage, while keeping an eye out for any disruptive differences, I will say this.

The upgrade from Moneterey to Sonoma was easy, fairly quick, and fairly painless.

Most importantly to me, in the context of this upgrade being motivated by practical necessity rather than a desire to do so, it's been unobtrusive.

Nothing has stopped working, and nothing has changed drastically enough to annoy me or catch my attention. So in this regard, no complaints.

I still don't care for the direction Apple has been going, and Sonoma doesn't change that, but that's not necessarily specific to Sonoma.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
After a day of general usage, while keeping an eye out for any disruptive differences, I will say this.

The upgrade from Moneterey to Sonoma was easy, fairly quick, and fairly painless.

Most importantly to me, in the context of this upgrade being motivated by practical necessity rather than a desire to do so, it's been unobtrusive.

Nothing has stopped working, and nothing has changed drastically enough to annoy me or catch my attention. So in this regard, no complaints.

I still don't care for the direction Apple has been going, and Sonoma doesn't change that, but that's not necessarily specific to Sonoma.
Nothing has stopped ..... ??? DIG DEEPER, FIND SOMETHING!!!
Hahahaha
;JOOP!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland

You may conclude that I got fed up from all the complaining. It's always the same: new OS: complaints,
and hardly a neutral, let alone positive comment.
Back in 1073 my first computer costed $350000 and there was no update in years and no forum of any kind.
Be happy with today's toys.
;JOOP!

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
wonder: why is your Sonoma crappy and why are my 2 machines absolutely stable on 14.5?
The PCI-E SSD unmounting is infuriating on Sonoma. Makes it very unreliable to use that storage. No problems in Ventura and seemingly, so far no problems in Sequoia thankfully.

But my setup is strange, I’m running one of those evil 2019 Mac Pros…

Reactions: gank41

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
You may conclude that I got fed up from all the complaining. It's always the same: new OS: complaints,
and hardly a neutral, let alone positive comment.
Back in 1073 my first computer costed $350000 and there was no update in years and no forum of any kind.
Be happy with today's toys.
;JOOP!

There are many legitimate reasons for displeasure with Apple.

Also, the fact that it worked fairly easily for me doesn't mean much. I don't use mine for anything exotic, but people should be able to do that, or whatever else they want to do with the product that they purchased.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
There are many legitimate reasons for displeasure with Apple.

Also, the fact that it worked fairly easily for me doesn't mean much. I don't use mine for anything exotic, but people should be able to do that, or whatever else they want to do with the product that they purchased.
I agree: nobody is using ALL the functions and goodies from the OS, so many problems go unnoticed.
But, re-reading the content of this thread, I can only conclude:
1) no proper solution was given for any complaint,
2) this way none of these problems will be solved, unless the complainers also report to APPLE.

And the title of this thread is RUBBISH.
;JOOP!

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
2) this way none of these problems will be solved, unless the complainers also report to APPLE.

SSD unmounting has been reported to Apple numerous times by lots of people (but Apple doesn't reply).

Sonnet is also working with them:

See technical notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.