Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
This is the worst take to have as it completely invalidates real bugs and serious problems just because they may be rare or not experienced by OP.

They are sharing their own personal experience. Your experience differed. Cool. Just leave it at that.
As an experienced problem manager, if a bug is rare, has little impact in the real world and is reported by a tiny number of users you issue a knowledge article to say you know about it and that you’re not fixing it. Then you crack on with fixing stuff that is impacting many people.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
As an experienced problem manager, if a bug is rare, has little impact in the real world and is reported by a tiny number of users you issue a knowledge article to say you know about it and that you’re not fixing it. Then you crack on with fixing stuff that is impacting many people.
Well, there's the problem right there. The perfect recipe for mediocrity.

Reactions: CasualFanboy

Porkchop-76

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
I just purchased my very first Mac computer the other day (Mac Mini) it updated, and it hasn't blue screened on me yet 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: martint235

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
This is the worst take to have as it completely invalidates real bugs and serious problems just because they may be rare or not experienced by OP.

They are sharing their own personal experience. Your experience differed. Cool. Just leave it at that.

My experience is quite different. I have Sonoma running on an M2 MBA and an M2 Studio … I might reboot them once every 2-3 months … and I could not tell you the last time anything hung or crashed.

My first (and Current) experience with Sonoma--which was the default install on my 2023 M2 Studio--directly parallels AZhappyjack's 🤷‍♂️

This subjective impression is not intended to deprecate any others' subjective impression.

If I may be so bold, such feedback is in response to an inflammatory assertion (e.g., Teh Thesis (i.e., "Sonoma- The worst OS in human history?")).

Th OP served acerbic content, based-upon hear-say (without, it seems, direct experience). For that matter, the OP did not posit their Thesis with any specifics.

If I were to claim that "The Sky is Red", it would be my fervent hope that we not publicly devolve into the unruly specifics of whether my cones were developed with insufficiently-transcribed genetics (or--*gasp*--that said cones are entirely specific to only *my* eyes!)

If the Sky is--to all intents-and-purposes--Blue, it's entirely up to me to support my alternative Thesis ;)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Reboot daily? No freakin' way. Sonoma truly is the worst OS in human history if that is needed to keep it running. I go many, many weeks without rebooting. I will **NEVER** upgrade to Sonoma given its horrible reputation. Pure, unmitigated filth. That's Tim Cook's Apple.

I miss the days of Snow Leopard.

I'm curious on what is your personal experience is with Sonoma ?

I myself would rate Sonoma (in its current revision) as one of the better revisions and certainly no worse then Ventura.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My first (and Current) experience with Sonoma--which was the default install on my 2023 M2 Studio--directly parallels AZhappyjack's

This subjective impression is not intended to deprecate any others' subjective impression.

If I may be so bold, such feedback is in response to an inflammatory assertion (e.g., Teh Thesis (i.e., "Sonoma- The worst OS in human history?")).

Th OP served acerbic content, based-upon hear-say (without, it seems, direct experience). For that matter, the OP did not posit their Thesis with any specifics.

If I were to claim that "The Sky is Red", it would be my fervent hope that we not publicly devolve into the unruly specifics of whether my cones were developed with insufficiently-transcribed genetics (or--*gasp*--that said cones are entirely specific to only *my* eyes!)

If the Sky is--to all intents-and-purposes--Blue, it's entirely up to me to support my alternative Thesis ;)

Yeah, I tend to dismiss any posting or comment calling anything “the best” or “the worst” as hyperbole. Sure some things work really well, and others not so much… and as always YMMV.

Like I said, it works for me without crashing or hanging .

Reactions: splifingate

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Yes, but in fact, you already did.
Like with MSWindows, you pay for the OS while buying the box.
;JOOP!
True but if you want it entirely without bugs or features: at 100% rather than 80% that box will cost an eye watering amount of money, more than most people could afford.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
True but if you want it entirely without bugs or features: at 100% rather than 80% that box will cost an eye watering amount of money, more than most people could afford.
Well, I'm a long time user of ECLIPSE (free). Now, professionals pay $2500 for a 'professional' version from IBM.
I eye-witnessed that this professional version has many extras and .... is NOT 100% error free.
Btw.: a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow might have a flat tire once.
;JOOP!

Reactions: martint235

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I took a look at past posts from the OP for the last couple years. That shined a bit light on all of this. Highly recommend, 10/10.

Yeah, he’s a hater from way back. He may have said something good/positive/nice about Apple and its wares at one point, but I’m pretty sure that I missed it.

Reactions: Queen6

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
the way what things are going? 🙄

on my macs, progress has always been forward-moving (with, as always, bumps in the road). guess i'm just one of the lucky millions.... ☺️
It's not Apple's software bugs that I'm talking about.

It's their features. There are fewer new useful ones. Existing useful ones are taken away.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It's not Apple's software bugs that I'm talking about.

It's their features. There are fewer new useful ones. Existing useful ones are taken away.
hmmm, not everyone would agree with that... which is also, the point...

i don't care about a lot of these things, i care about how well the finder works, how well my apps work... and in that, it's a pretty-great time.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Oh man, I remember supporting Windows NT running Novell on a Token Ring network. Sonoma is so much more awesomely better than that.
I rather liked NT 3.1! I was my first sortie into domain based and corporate services. Although this was a brief interlude of a few years in a long Mac journey.

Reactions: gank41

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
hmmm, not everyone would agree with that... which is also, the point...

i don't care about a lot of these things, i care about how well the finder works, how well my apps work... and in that, it's a pretty-great time.
Yes I fancy a slimmed down modern operating system - particularly for those computers that just sit there woking away in this day of no apple server software

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yes I fancy a slimmed down modern operating system - particularly for those computers that just sit there woking away in this day of no apple server software
none of the apps i don't use intrude on my mac experience (ie siri, stage manager, desktop widgets, et al). i use what i need, work, play... and all is well. this seems great to me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.