Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
When I start typing a phone number in the Phone app like my parents landline (yes, this still exists) it is starting to suggest me her mobile phone number below, even though the digits are not remotely close to the digits I am typing. Is this a bug or feature?
The new T9 dialing feature means you are typing letters (that appear on the keys) as well as numbers. So if the numbers you enter correspond to letters in a contact's name they will pop up. 262 would bring up "Bob" for example.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
The new T9 dialing feature means you are typing letters (that appear on the keys) as well as numbers. So if the numbers you enter correspond to letters in a contact's name they will pop up. 262 would bring up "Bob" for example.

What is T9? I just tried to „type“ Diego and I had no idea how to get to the „i“ for example. Am I supposed to long press on „4“ to get to the „i“? Also tried quickly tapping on „4“ three times but that just ended up as „444“ Confusing. Is my age showing?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
What is T9? I just tried to „type“ Diego and I had no idea how to get to the „i“ for example. Am I supposed to long press on „4“ to get to the „i“? Also tried quickly tapping on „4“ three times but that just ended up as „444“ Confusing. Is my age showing?
You don’t need to worry about where the letter is. Just hit that key once and carry on.

Reactions: Brachaci

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
All letters are counted that is on each key, you don't need to pick them individually. 529 for example would search for "Jay" and "Law" and any other letter combination that those numbers make. So Diego would be 34346.

I didn't know what T9 was until recently myself, it's something from back during the flip phone days.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
All letters are counted that is on each key, you don't need to pick them individually. 529 for example would search for "Jay" and "Law" and any other letter combination that those numbers make. So Diego would be 34346.

I didn't know what T9 was until recently myself, it's something from back during the flip phone days.

aaaah now I got it to work! Almost seems too easy which makes it confusing like "it cant be this easy?" like "how does it know what word I want to write by tapping on a single digit number" :D

Reactions: Paddle1

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
now updates to app start, then screen freeze on each update about 3/4 done. reboot start over and have to go into each one separately to complete updates. It's a mess. Next beta can't come soon enough.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I had one of these, and loved it. Loved how small it was, the fact once closed nothing could be dialled by accident, and the fact the battery lasted a few days.

When I say I loved it, I definitely mean that in the past tense. I'm not swapping my iPhone for one ...

T9 input was brilliant at the time.

View attachment 2394557
Adrian how doing mate ? Haha same here. Mine was I recall an Orange T28. The 888 world phone was a little bigger but had more bands. Those were the days huh 😍

Reactions: adrianlondon

jazzzyJeff

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2024
I had one of these, and loved it. Loved how small it was, the fact once closed nothing could be dialled by accident, and the fact the battery lasted a few days.

When I say I loved it, I definitely mean that in the past tense. I'm not swapping my iPhone for one ...

View attachment 2394557
If you wanna knock someone unconscious though I’d recommend Nokia.

• Haha
Reactions: Brachaci

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Adrian how doing mate ? Haha same here. Mine was I recall an Orange T28. The 888 world phone was a little bigger but had more bands. Those were the days huh 😍
I vaguely remember it having an orange logo/square on it. It was on the Orange network, so maybe they branded it. I don't remember!

Reactions: Fred Zed

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Just experienced my first device crash earlier today which was really my biggest fear of jumping on the beta train again. Things were fairly stable but only for just short of 2 weeks. Happened when I tried to take a photo out on the water when my phone suddenly started respringing.

Hopefully we get beta 3 on Monday and hopefully it runs a bit better.

Reactions: xgman

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Maps: not sure if it’s a bug or that I’m on a non official release iOS, but traffic readings, red, amber etc have not been correct. I’m getting to red roads and they are completely clear 🤷🏽

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
As seems to be the usual in the Betas, Since installing 18 Beta 2 I've lost 2% battery health, down from 100% on my release day 15 Pro Max :confused:
iPhone SE2022, still on 100% health/capacity, 8 months old, on Beta 2. Maybe the new iPhone 15 Show-me-everything battery stats are pessimistic. Certainly we need to charge to 100% every so often to recalibrate the capacity algorithm.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
One thing that annoys me about the new Photos app is you can’t multi-select photos unless you scroll fully into the grid view (i.e. when the app launches, drag down in order to enter the full grid view). The select button in the navigation bar doesn’t appear until you do that.
That doesn't bother me much, as until you do scroll down a bit, all the other stuff - albums and utilities in my config - is still being shown.

However, we're still early in the beta schedule, so file a Feedback. I'm not sure whether one would file it a "suggestion" or "incorrect behaviour" but a cynic would guess that the latter may get more attention. But it also may get closed with "working as currently designed" quickly, too.

P_Watt

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2018
However, we're still early in the beta schedule, so file a Feedback. I'm not sure whether one would file it a "suggestion" or "incorrect behaviour" but a cynic would guess that the latter may get more attention. But it also may get closed with "working as currently designed" quickly, too.
If unsure do both reports!

• Haha
Reactions: adrianlondon

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
One thing that annoys me about the new Photos app is you can’t multi-select photos unless you scroll fully into the grid view (i.e. when the app launches, drag down in order to enter the full grid view). The select button in the navigation bar doesn’t appear until you do that.
I think this is my only complain I have about the new Photos app.

Und Eser

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022

View attachment 2394557
Same here. Very fond memories of my T28 but my 13 mini just sniggers at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.