Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FaleoMD

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2018
Battery life with DB2 is really bad although it’s better than it was with first beta.

Just arrived from festivals and you need really careful to think how much you use phone, taking off notifications, but low battery mode on at right time. And still 12 hours is almost maximum you get out of it.

Reactions: HuNay

Line_Noise

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2023
“Update Finishing in Background” a good 6 hours after installing.

Edit: And the same 14 hours after installing.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.png
    IMG_0181.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
First day with beta 3 (car diagnostic software drained a good amount of battery). Not very good but I’ll wait a few days

Attachments

• IMG_2844.png
    IMG_2844.png
    303.8 KB · Views: 62

Teksel

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2024
It's terrible on iPhone 13 mini. Updated to Public Beta yesterday hoping for best but nah. On iOS 17 I was easily passing throughout the day with 30-40% left at the evening. But with iOS 18 Betas it hardly making up to the 6-8pm.

1721121323683.png

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
It's terrible on iPhone 13 mini. Updated to Public Beta yesterday hoping for best but nah. On iOS 17 I was easily passing throughout the day with 30-40% left at the evening. But with iOS 18 Betas it hardly making up to the 6-8pm.
You can’t tell if it’s bad or not - that early it processes things in the background.
Collect data over the next few days and then come back here an post your experience!

Reactions: ATmahe and TwoBytes

Tuanl

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024
First day with the public beta on my 15 Pro Max, upgrading from beta 3 and somehow my battery is actually really good ??
Not sure if it’s because I got used to the terrible battery life of previous betas but beta 3 and now public beta has been solid for me, no problem getting through a typical day with 80% limit.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
First day with the public beta on my 15 Pro Max, upgrading from beta 3 and somehow my battery is actually really good ??
Not sure if it’s because I got used to the terrible battery life of previous betas but beta 3 and now public beta has been solid for me, no problem getting through a typical day with 80% limit.
What’s a typical day for you? Can you share SOT with us?

Tuanl

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024
What’s a typical day for you? Can you share SOT with us?
Most days around 3-4 hours for me, mix of wifi and cellular with an apple watch connected at all times. I use mostly social apps, a little bit of light gaming and a lot of youtube. I usually end the day with around 35-40% when I plug in my phone overnight. Oh and 98% battery health btw, I lost the battery lottery 😭

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Okay that’s light usage in my eyes - I use my 15 PM almost 8-10 hrs a day.
Right now on revised beta 3 (yesterday installed, so it’s processing in the background) I got 4 1/2 hrs SOT - with photos taken, call for about an hour, gaming, listening to music almost all the time, editing photos and surfing in safari.
Not that great, but almost the same like beta 2 for me - 80% limit is set. Charge over night and disconnected from charger at 06:56 am today.

Edit: maybe important too, all the time on 4G (5G is off)

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Don’t know why Apple can’t report battery use broken out by their various background processes such as indexing, photo processing, etc.

Tuanl

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024
Okay that’s light usage in my eyes - I use my 15 PM almost 8-10 hrs a day.
Right now on revised beta 3 (yesterday installed, so it’s processing in the background) I got 4 1/2 hrs SOT - with photos taken, call for about an hour, gaming, listening to music almost all the time, editing photos and surfing in safari.
Not that great, but almost the same like beta 2 for me - 80% limit is set. Charge over night and disconnected from charger at 06:56 am today.
With 8-10 hours SOT usage i’d probably have to charge twice a day even on iOS 17, but the beta definetely worsen battery, it’s just that it’s so much better for me compared to beta 1 and 2. Back then I literally have to bring 2 cables with me cuz my phone and watch would die multiple times a day. The SoT you got seems pretty good to me.

Reactions: Stiille

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
So you say the battery life on Public Beta is better than on dev beta 3? Did I understand that correctly?

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
I have the feeling that beta 3 „newer build“ is worse in terms of battery life.
I spend ~5 hrs on my iPhone SOT and then I needed to charge my phone from 22% to 80%.
Now I use the phone for about 2 3/4 hrs and it’s down to 57% from 80% again.

I guess the battery life will be better in the last betas at earliest, right?

That’s the thing they fix at last minute, right?

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
To early for me to say, I will post a comment in a few days.
How’s yours holding up?
I ask because I just upgraded to the 15 Pro Max (it gets delivered today). Yes I know the 16 Pro Max (if thats what they continue to call it) is coming, but we needed to get another phone added to our plan at T-Mobile and it was costing a lot more than it would if we switched back to Verizon for the service so we need switched and instead of my teenager getting a new phone my teenager gets my 14 Pro Max and I got the 15 Pro Max

Curious because I'll would like to go back on iOS 18 beta but I know how it can affect every device differently.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Yeah that’s tricky, I would say go for it, you can always go back, especially if it’s a brand new iPhone.
Mine is 2 weeks old and I installed the beta right after I booted my 15 PM for the first time.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Yeah that’s tricky, I would say go for it, you can always go back, especially if it’s a brand new iPhone.
Mine is 2 weeks old and I installed the beta right after I booted my 15 PM for the first time.
Yeah I may wait for the 2nd beta to do it. Not for potential battery issues but more to just get the phone through a good indexing after a transfer between the devices etc.

Also I'll probably wait a day or two just to be safe (in case there are major battery issues lol)

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Well been on beta since v2 and didn't see any difference with IOS 17 15 PM, same goes with my iPad M4.
Good to know.

I loved having RCS messaging especially with two of my kids who have android phones. Nice having read receipts and typing indicators to know they saw and got my messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.