Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Because I think it’s bad for the battery to stay always at 100% plugged in overnight, isn’t it?

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Good to know, but unfortunately my iPhone 13 Pro does not support charge limits.
Is there another way to stop charge at 90%?

ATmahe

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2023
With optimized charging enabled it should (after some learning time) stop charging at 80 % and finish charging to 100 % about 1-2 hours before your usual wakeup time.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Nice now after I re-paired my Apple Watch 8 it drained in 5 hrs from 100% to 48%…
Hope it stops, can it be just the setting up as new Apple Watch - processing in background the set up?

wolfe48

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2020
Upper Left Coast
I have the 18 beta installed on:

iPad Pro 11 M2 x 2
iPad Air 11 M2
iPad 10th Gen
iPhone 12
iPhone 13 Pro Max

All are running exceptionally well except for my 13PM. The battery drain is around 20% at idle/overnight.

I have wiped, reinstalled OTA and setup as new. Still the battery is horrible. The only difference between my 13PM and all my other devices is that I have an Ultra2 paired to the 13PM. The Ultra was even wiped and setup as new.

I don’t think there is anything we can do to solve this drain, especially on unreleased OS beta 1.

Just providing the info… happy beta life. Fingers crossed Beta 2 brings some positive battery changes.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
On 11Pro battery is consumed way faster, but it's normal for beta as also I have turned more logging in Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements. Let them eat the logs ;)

Paired watch drain? Paired AW 8 is not having any noticeable battery drains.
Over night drain? I always charge it over night on 5W charger so n/a

Can it be daily driver? I think yes, had Respring once - when played with Control Center widgets positions and arranging (not baked feature ...) and also had once I Preferences (what the ?) app crash.

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
So I was a little concerned about battery life and noticed what seemed to be a trend. Users with an iPhone 15 Pro and an Apple Watch who installed the beta of WatchOS 11 along with the iOS 18 beta seemed to have the biggest problem with battery life so I split the difference.

The watch is on the 10.6 beta released last week but my iPhone 15 Pro is now on the iOS 18 beta and so far, other than over night last night where my phone somehow got disconnected from the WiFi at my house and had reverted to an LTE data connection from a 5G connection then stopped charging due to it’s temperature, the battery life has been good for an early developer beta!

Provided there are no other issues then to continue to avoid them I’m going to avoid the watchOS 11 beta for another release or two. I just started installing watchOS betas with v10 last year as I was concerned about not being able to roll it back without taking it in to the Apple Store should there be a problem so I can definitely operate like this for a few weeks before taking the watchOS 11 plunge.

Tuanl

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024
I installed iOS 18 beta on my 15 Pro Max and watchOS on my Series 8 (90% battery health). The drain is real.

The phone gets random overheats and the watch drains almost all it's battery in half a day. But as soon as I unpaired the watch, both the phone and watch's battery life becomes normal, if a little worse than iOS 17.5.1 and watchOS 10.

I suspect it has something to do with the new live activities feature on the watch, might be that the code is not quite done on the first beta. If you have both an iphone and an apple watch, I would recommend against installing this beta. I reverted my phone to iOS 17 and my watch is a literal brick now. 😂

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I installed iOS 18 beta on my 15 Pro Max and watchOS on my Series 8 (90% battery health). The drain is real.

The phone gets random overheats and the watch drains almost all it's battery in half a day. But as soon as I unpaired the watch, both the phone and watch's battery life becomes normal, if a little worse than iOS 17.5.1 and watchOS 10.

I suspect it has something to do with the new live activities feature on the watch, might be that the code is not quite done on the first beta. If you have both an iphone and an apple watch, I would recommend against installing this beta. I reverted my phone to iOS 17 and my watch is a literal brick now. 😂
Did you install WatchOS 11? Apple Watch cannot be reverted to the previous OS? Oh, it doesn’t have a Lightning or USB-C port…

Let’s hope they fix it, because I’d like to get an Apple Watch X and I’ve never had an AW.

Tuanl

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024
Did you install WatchOS 11? Apple Watch cannot be reverted to the previous OS? Oh, it doesn’t have a Lightning or USB-C port…

Let’s hope they fix it, because I’d like to get an Apple Watch X and I’ve never had an AW.
Yes, you need to send it to Apple directly to get it downgraded, Apple authorized service providers can't even do it for you, at least in my country, they can't even send it to Apple cuz there's no Apple store here. Now the only way that I can use it again is to update my phone to iOS 18 beta again, and live with the short battery of both devices.

I hope they at least provide a way to connect it to other devices for firmware work and all that, since it's literally a miniature phone on the wrist.

Deep_Thought

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Re battery drain and Apple Watch (is there a separate thread for it?) - is it only when on iOS 18 and watchOS 11? Has anyone had any issues with WatchOS 10 and iOS 18?

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
Re battery drain and Apple Watch (is there a separate thread for it?) - is it only when on iOS 18 and watchOS 11? Has anyone had any issues with WatchOS 10 and iOS 18?
Yes. My drain was iOS 18 DB 1 and WatchOS 10.5. I never run betas on my watch. Waiting to see reporting if DB 2 fixed the bluetooth stack. There are several notes about bluetooth fixes in the release notes, but they are still adding in features and won't get to serious bug squishing and optimization for another couple betas most likely.

Reactions: Deep_Thought

Tuanl

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024
Update: Updated both my phone and watch to iOS 18 DB2 and watchOS 11 DB2, respectively.

Looks like battery life issues are resolved, went outside for a 2 hour 30 minutes workout and usual stuff today, watch dropped to around 20% at 10pm, starting from ~85% at around 11am. Phone is at 45% currently starting from 80% charge limit at 11am.

Not quite as good as stable builds but a MASSIVE improvement from DB1. I can finally use my watch with my phone again. Recommend updating. 👍

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Got my brand new iPhone 15 Pro (old iPhone broke 😒) and with iOS 17.5.1 I got idle drain more than 10% over the last 6 hrs with 80% limit and on charger…
I now download again iOS 18 beta 2 (backup is done) - hope that the drain stops…
And my Watch will also be Updated to watchOS 11 DB 2!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenChild

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I know this isn’t the “iOS 18 Battery Life and Health Thread” like we had in the iOS 17 forum, but maybe it can be?

Just dropped another percent…

1719382696074.png

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iOS 17.5.1, iOS 17.6 DB 1, iOS 18 DB 1 all seem to have battery issues but iOS 18 DB 2 seems to fix that... iPhone 13 Pro

No matter the new features and improvements in the newer versions, I still believe we should be allowed to downgrade to the last update of prior versions... Want the perfect balance of battery life and performance? Stay on the version designed for your iPhone...

Line_Noise

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2023
If Home Screen & Lock Screen are murdering your battery on Beta 2 check whether you've got a Screen Time widget anywhere and get rid of it.

Screen Time seems busted in general on my devices (iOS and macOS) with the relevant Settings pages just crashing out, but on iOS the widget spinning its tyres trying to load data was enough to make the phone run warm.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Guess my iPhone battery limited to 80% is ok on my new iPhone 15 Pro - received iPhone yesterday and updated today to iOS 18 DB2 - so I guess I have to wait a few days until I can seriously say if the battery is good or not?
Because right now it has SOT 5h46min with 38% battery remaining and I thought 10hrs SOT is normal for the new 15 Pro!?
Or is it way less?

• Haha
Reactions: Tomas1988

Tomas1988

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2022
Lithuania
Guess my iPhone battery limited to 80% is ok on my new iPhone 15 Pro - received iPhone yesterday and updated today to iOS 18 DB2 - so I guess I have to wait a few days until I can seriously say if the battery is good or not?
Because right now it has SOT 5h46min with 38% battery remaining and I thought 10hrs SOT is normal for the new 15 Pro!?
Or is it way less?
10 hours sot on beta version...hmm it doesn't matter if your device is new or old..don't forget you are on beta version first my friend ✌️

Reactions: Stiille
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.