Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
I know this isn’t the “iOS 18 Battery Life and Health Thread” like we had in the iOS 17 forum, but maybe it can be?

Just dropped another percent…

1) If you are experiencing overheating on the beta then your battery health will degrade faster. If the phone is hot, reboot it. If it continues, downgrade back to a stable build.
2) Apple has once or twice done a battery recalibration in a build to make the health reporting more accurate, so could be that.
3) But if temps are normal and Apple wasn’t trying to fix battery stats then its just normal aging.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Guess my iPhone battery limited to 80% is ok on my new iPhone 15 Pro - received iPhone yesterday and updated today to iOS 18 DB2 - so I guess I have to wait a few days until I can seriously say if the battery is good or not?
Because right now it has SOT 5h46min with 38% battery remaining and I thought 10hrs SOT is normal for the new 15 Pro!?
Or is it way less?
You wish! Ahahah 10h SOT is normal on a Pro Max. On a regular Pro you are lucky to get 6h, so I’d say your battery on the beta is excellent.

Reactions: Stiille

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
So it’s excellent because i got 80% limit too! Not charged fully to 100% - thanks and good to know - maybe the Pro Max would be better, but it’s to large for me…

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
So it’s excellent because i got 80% limit too! Not charged fully to 100% - thanks and good to know - maybe the Pro Max would be better, but it’s to large for me…
Yeah I’m thinking about exchanging my regular Pro with a Pro Max just for the battery (and I’d like the added screen size)

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
But the battery is way better than on iOS 17.5.1!
And I have always to remember that I set up the 80% limit, too.
If I would set it to 100% limit I would get up to 7-8 hrs battery life.
+ I do not use WiFi (don’t have WiFi at home), only 4G always, I guess that’s something what makes a difference too

Last edited:

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
If you don't have 5G available, you can turn it off in your cellular settings if you haven't already. I used to do this when I had the 13 mini to maximize the battery life. Turning off that extra modem does the trick.
I am on „LTE/4G only“ Toggle.
So yes I do this trick since my 13 Pro introduced 5G. For me it’s just a huge battery waste…

Reactions: winxmac and UliBaer

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
I think I will try it with 90% battery limit for the next days.
Should give me some extra energy!
But I am now constantly on my phone for about 5 1/2 hrs…from 80% to 30% in that time seems quite good.
If I want more than that, the only way is to get the 15 PM…which I don’t want to.

I will see what the 90% gives me in terms of battery life.

+ one more question, do you guys also experience quite a hot 15 Pro/PM while charging? Already reported it in the feedback app

And secondly I found that Siri was constantly listening for „Hey Siri/Siri“ - deactivated that, guess it’s another way to get better battery life. Do you activated or deactivated this function?

Last edited:

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
So it’s now 03:54 pm here and I disconnected the iPhone from charger at 09:15 am.
Almost used it the whole time, ~5hrs SOT so far - started from 90% limit to now 37% battery.
Quite good I would say, and if I wouldn’t downloaded two episodes of a series and watched it, I would have many more battery left at this point.
So yes I would say beta 2 is pretty good at battery life!

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
Update: Updated both my phone and watch to iOS 18 DB2 and watchOS 11 DB2, respectively.

Looks like battery life issues are resolved, went outside for a 2 hour 30 minutes workout and usual stuff today, watch dropped to around 20% at 10pm, starting from ~85% at around 11am. Phone is at 45% currently starting from 80% charge limit at 11am.

Not quite as good as stable builds but a MASSIVE improvement from DB1. I can finally use my watch with my phone again. Recommend updating. 👍

Do you have an iPhone 15? If so what kind? Pro? Max? Thanks!!! I’d love to try the Watch OS 11 beta but since these are my daily drivers (yes I know the deal) I want the best odds of avoiding the huge battery drain issues some with both have reported. I’m fine with the typical battery drain you get from betas early in the process but what I was reading seemed to be excessive and I only recently (as of Watch OS 10) started installing betas in my watch because of the process involved in rolling them back. So far staying with the latest iOS 11 beta and watchOS 10.6 beta has served me well in the battery department. It’s no worse than usual and I’ve been beta testing iOS for years now.

Tuanl

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2024
Do you have an iPhone 15? If so what kind? Pro? Max? Thanks!!! I’d love to try the Watch OS 11 beta but since these are my daily drivers (yes I know the deal) I want the best odds of avoiding the huge battery drain issues some with both have reported. I’m fine with the typical battery drain you get from betas early in the process but what I was reading seemed to be excessive and I only recently (as of Watch OS 10) started installing betas in my watch because of the process involved in rolling them back. So far staying with the latest iOS 11 beta and watchOS 10.6 beta has served me well in the battery department. It’s no worse than usual and I’ve been beta testing iOS for years now.
I have the 15 Pro Max, and a Series 8 41mm cellular. So far, the drain is definitely more than stable builds, i'd say around 10-20% more depending on what i'm doing. If before i'm ending the day with 50% then it would be 30-40% now. Not that bad considering it's literally the second developer beta that's not even meant for regular users. Bugs are also not that annoying but they're there.

I don't use the watch with cellular tho, my carrier here blocks cellular from beta devices so my watch works like the non-cellular version of the series 8. If you like to give a shot I would say just keep in mind the worst case of 20% more battery consumption (in my experience), and the fact you can't downgrade it. Also always keep a backup, if there's any problem, just do a reset and restore from backup, that'll usually solve the issues with the betas.

Line_Noise

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2023
The iPhone Mirroring feature has some pretty significant idle drain in beta 2, nearly doubling the normal idle drain.

The curve visibly flattens out on the iPhone when I shutdown my MacBook.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
I've had battery drain issues with beta 2 of 18 on my 15PM. The beta 1 had similar issues and the beta 2 doesn't seem to have made any difference. It's not enough to make the phone un useable, and I generally make it through the day with light usage and charing the phone while in my car or at my desk.

But the struggle IS real. So to speak.

Reactions: GoldenChild

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
It’s 06:38 pm here and I disconnected from charger at 09:49 am.
From 90% to now 41% with somewhat my normal usage - ~02:50hrs SOT.
Not the best day I guess, but I find myself more and more enjoying the 15 Pro and I am glad that I have chosen this one over the 15PM, because it would be to large for me

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Yeah I’m thinking about exchanging my regular Pro with a Pro Max just for the battery (and I’d like the added screen size)
I decided to switch to Pro Max 🤣😅

Ordered it 30min ago from my carrier.
It should be at my home in the next three days I think.
Will send the Pro back to my carrier once the Pro Max arrived.
And will reset this phone tomorrow at Apple Store to iOS 17, otherwise it won’t get taken back I think.

The battery is way to short for me and my usage!

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
15 PM now, let’s see how the battery holds up on Beta 2 - didn’t want to install the beta at first thought, but my watch did not worked without updating to iOS 18, because it’s already on watchOS 11 😂

• Haha
Reactions: winxmac

dazcox5181

Suspended
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
15 PM now, let’s see how the battery holds up on Beta 2 - didn’t want to install the beta at first thought, but my watch did not worked without updating to iOS 18, because it’s already on watchOS 11 😂
My experience was not great on 15pm, not that 17.5.1 is that great either. Feel like everyone praising the battery must have had very different devices than me lol

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
First report for my new 15 PM that I received yesterday.
Using it straight for 3 1/2 hrs it’s down to 47% from 80% limit… guess the beta isn’t good with battery life on my end this time 😂

When to expect beta 3?

Reactions: mikiotty

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Hmm any other DPs on b2 battery life? I've been debating. B1 is usable but definitely losing around 20% or so more per day than before (15 pro max).

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
Hmm any other DPs on b2 battery life? I've been debating. B1 is usable but definitely losing around 20% or so more per day than before (15 pro max).
Hard to tell. I have much better results with beta 2 on a 15 than I had with beta 1 on a 15 Pro, but it is a less powerful phone. (The Pro is back on 17.5.1 for some testflight purposes.) Some of the Apple Watch and Bluetooth drain seems to have been mitigated at least. I am currently finishing the day with about 60-70% in the tank with about 3 hours SoT.

CrisiomiroX

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2024
UK
DB2 much better battery life than DB1 on my 13. Haven’t measured it, but I’m charging far less frequently now.

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
I feel as though the battery life is somewhere between iOS 17.6 beta 2 and 18 beta 1 on a 14 Pro Max. Obviously not great since I was forced to move off iOS 16, but I can deal with it somehow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.