Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
So apparently you and 90% of these people also don't travel and need to swap to local SIMs…
I'm covered in Europe by my carrier and outside Europe I can get something like 10 gigabytes of data and 200 minutes for 25 euros. Swapping sims simply is not worth it for me (and for most Europeans) when traveling.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So apparently you and 90% of these people also don't travel and need to swap to local SIMs…

If one doesn't need a local number, global data-only eSIMs like Airalo, Nomad, MobiMatter has made getting service a lot easier. You can even have the travel eSIM setup and ready to go upon landing.

Plus usually no pesky SIM registration which many countries now require.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
It takes me 15 seconds to remove a sim and insert another one without having to contact a provider. Try to beat it with an e-sim. Good luck. Only possible in the US where statistically few travel. Luckily, the removal of a physical sim will not be allowed in EU.
Genuinely interested to know where you have read it won’t be allowed in the EU ? (By the way 15 seconds is great until you drop the nano sim on the floor and lose it and then have to get a new one 😁)

Neofox

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2024
It takes me 15 seconds to remove a sim and insert another one without having to contact a provider. Try to beat it with an e-sim. Good luck. Only possible in the US where statistically few travel. Luckily, the removal of a physical sim will not be allowed in EU.

It take me way more than 15sec to find the correct way to put the sim card in the tray 🤣

Also I travel a lot and nowadays I use exclusively e-sim. Just look online for a good offer before leaving, activate my sim right away and done.
Also I don't see why EU would not allow the removal of physical sim card, they allowed removal of the jack. Also esim is already very well available in EU (at least in France, every carrier as a esim option)

Reactions: haddy and ukms

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Genuinely interested to know where you have read it won’t be allowed in the EU ? (By the way 15 seconds is great until you drop the nano sim on the floor and lose it and then have to get a new one 😁)
I did not read it. The “only e-sim” is exclusively an American game. Consumers in Europe will not go for it. And when the consumers will not want it, the UE will mandate the retention of it. In the US not only one gets what it’s told to get one will soon defend it and like it! It’s a state of mind.
As for dropping a phone in an Adriatic, you dive, get your sim, put it into the next phone. Done.

Reactions: platinumaqua

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
It take me way more than 15sec to find the correct way to put the sim card in the tray 🤣

Also I travel a lot and nowadays I use exclusively e-sim. Just look online for a good offer before leaving, activate my sim right away and done.
Also I don't see why EU would not allow the removal of physical sim card, they allowed removal of the jack. Also esim is already very well available in EU (at least in France, every carrier as a esim option)
Again, this is for Americans only. Certain US anti-consumer interest practices are not allowed in the EU. Americans have also a very low per capita number of valid passport holders and the ones who travel generally do not go to more say…obscure places.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
I wouldn't be so sure ...... watch this space ..................
It is what it is. It’s a bizarre concept of no choice where the US general public will not protest it, they will even embrace it. Have you ever asked a question why (the treason) one cannot import a car of his/her liking to the US, unless it is 25 years old? Or why the Internet and telecoms are largely monopolized with rigged prices and substandard quality service?

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
You don't have to spell it out but Im interested to know why you make such a bold statement without some kind of rationale. It (dual SIM) has remained in the China market for a specific reason and that's not because people are stamping their feet because they can't have what they want ;)
I like this “logic”. Obviously the Chinese consumers still have the double sim provision simply because this is what they want to have as oppose to not having what they want.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Again, this is for Americans only. Certain US anti-consumer interest practices are not allowed in the EU. Americans have also a very low per capita number of valid passport holders and the ones who travel generally do not go to more say…obscure places.
What do you base your assumption that US citizens don’t go to ‘obscure’ places ? And what’s an ‘obscure’ place ?

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
What do you base your assumption that US citizens don’t go to ‘obscure’ places ? And what’s an ‘obscure’ place
What do you base your assumption that US citizens don’t go to ‘obscure’ places ? And what’s an ‘obscure’ place ?
Extremely low per capita. Consider that in 1990 roughly only 3% of eligible Americans had valid passports. Foreign travel is often unaffordable to the general public, when in Europe for example one can buy all inclusive one week vacation in the Mediterranean from Israel to Spain/Morocco for a total cost of $400-$750.- where have you been lately? I rarely saw Americans in the Middle East, in Africa, Indian Ocean region, the south pacific, etc. It’s dominated by travelers from Europe. Most Americans prefer massive cruise ships with all-you can eat to Mexico, Alaska and the Caribbeans.

Attachments

• IMG_8856.jpeg
    IMG_8856.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Extremely low per capita. Consider that in 1990 roughly only 3% of eligible Americans had valid passports. Foreign travel is often unaffordable to the general public, when in Europe for example one can buy all inclusive one week vacation in the Mediterranean from Israel to Spain/Morocco for a total cost of $400-$750.- where have you been lately? I rarely saw Americans in the Middle East, in Africa, Indian Ocean region, the south pacific, etc. It’s dominated by travelers from Europe. Most Americans prefer massive cruise ships with all-you can eat to Mexico, Alaska and the Caribbeans.
I don't need a lecture on passport adoption in the 1990's as I hadn't asked that. What I asked was around 'obscure' places (what is obscure to one person is not to another). In fact drifting towards 50% have passports now and so that is still a lot of travellers despite low adoption.

where have you been lately?
Not on 'all inclusive' vacations as I hate them 😁 ..... but I have visited UAE, UK, Oman, Maldives, Singapore, Australia, France, Indonesia, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Spain, Germany, Netherlands and Thailand in the last 24 months. But then I'm not a US citizen 😉.

• Haha
Reactions: Konrad

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
SIM + eSIM is a great combination, I prefer it to dual SIM.
Agree 100%

Physical sim for home, and esim for travel. I only need a few GB when traveling, so esim is perfect for me.
Far more convenient to enable esim on landing rather then to queue for a physical sim, hand over your passport etc etc...

Just give esim more time for the market to mature and for prices per GB to reduce.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
From reading this and other threads people’s preferences for eSIM seem to vary because of their experience with carriers on the eSIM process. Some carriers make it super difficult to obtain or replace a sim, other carriers make it a super easy process enabling customers to get an eSIM in minutes. I think if the process was consistent a lot more would be happier with an eSIM.

Reactions: arc of the universe

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Agree 100%

Physical sim for home, and esim for travel. I only need a few GB when traveling, so esim is perfect for me.
Far more convenient to enable esim on landing rather then to queue for a physical sim, hand over your passport etc etc...

Just give esim more time for the market to mature and for prices per GB to reduce.

I do eSIM for home and either pSIM or eSIM for travel.

Sometimes I need a local SIM (for local calls and text) and those aren’t always available in eSIM form.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
eSIM is great for travel. You can easily download a SIM, and use it abroad. Then just delete it.

I would still want a physical SIM slot for my main SIM though.

SIM + eSIM is a great combination, I prefer it to dual SIM.

Except I need wifi for that, which isn't always a given. No need for wifi to swipe my credit card, pop out a physical SIM and insert the new one.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Except I need wifi for that, which isn't always a given. No need for wifi to swipe my credit card, pop out a physical SIM and insert the new one.

I always download and install eSIMs at home before the flight. Then I just need to turn on the eSIM at the destination after landing and I’m good to go.

Reactions: ukms

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I’m in Canada and have physical SIM and E-SIM slots. I opt to use an E-sim to prevent it being taken out should I lose my phone. That said I’d gladly trade support for MM 5G to retain the SIM card slot (currently Canada does not have MM wave still but honestly that doesn’t sound like a big loss). If I ever travelled out of country it‘s nice to know I can just pop a physical SIM if I want or an e-SIM if I want. Choice is nice.
Some of the reason we retain the physical SIM slot has something to do with regulations here that phones cannot be legally locked to a certain carrier so we can switch carriers whenever we want which increases competition amongst carriers. My guess is if it was e-SIM only that would be more challenging and thus legally dubious.

Last edited:

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014

Look at the size of the United States and look a the size of Western Europe…one is one country, the other is multiple small countries packed together. There’s a reason one of these countries has low passport holders when there’s really no reason to get one. Tropical beaches, frosty mountains, colorful autumn leafed forests, the largest amount of freshwater lakes on earth, etc all within the same borders. Pretty sure you won’t find palm trees in Switzerland.

While I like the idea of a physical SIM, eSIM is nice in the sense that you, or the provider, can just lock/wipe it from your phone with zero issues. Even better, they just remove it from the lost or stolen device and put it on your new one. That’s a nice feature for sure!

• Haha
Reactions: Konrad and ukms

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Personally I prefer eSIM. However my carrier which is Mint Mobile charges a swap fee after the 2nd swap so i'm currently on a physical SIM. In the long run it will be the standard as the 800 lb gorilla i.e Apple is moving the industry towards eSIM. Also carriers are probably trying to catch up with the eSIM technology as the vast majority have used physical SIM's.

Eventually swapping eSIM's will be as easy as swapping a physical SIM.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Look at the size of the United States and look a the size of Western Europe…one is one country, the other is multiple small countries packed together. There’s a reason one of these countries has low passport holders when there’s really no reason to get one. Tropical beaches, frosty mountains, colorful autumn leafed forests, the largest amount of freshwater lakes on earth, etc all within the same borders. Pretty sure you won’t find palm trees in Switzerland.

While I like the idea of a physical SIM, eSIM is nice in the sense that you, or the provider, can just lock/wipe it from your phone with zero issues. Even better, they just remove it from the lost or stolen device and put it on your new one. That’s a nice feature for sure!
Haha..Western Europe? How about Europe? Central? Southern? Eastern? All in all roughly 20% larger than the U.S. No reason to have a passport? 🤦🏻‍♂️. And no reason to speak foreign languages? Sure, as long as one has a Costco and Walmart from coast to coast. No reason for Paris, London, Warsaw? Tropics do not exist in the US. The world largest fresh water lake is in Russia. Want to see palm trees in Switzerland? Go to Lugano. Wow!

Attachments

• IMG_8954.jpeg
    IMG_8954.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
I’m in Canada and have physical SIM and E-SIM slots. I opt to use an E-sim to prevent it being taken out should I lose my phone. That said I’d gladly trade support for MM 5G to retain the SIM card slot (currently Canada does not have MM wave still but honestly that doesn’t sound like a big loss). If I ever travelled out of country it‘s nice to know I can just pop a physical SIM if I want or an e-SIM if I want. Choice is nice.
Some of the reason we retain the physical SIM slot has something to do with regulations here that phones cannot be legally locked to a certain carrier so we can switch carriers whenever we want which increases competition amongst carriers. My guess is if it was e-SIM only that would be more challenging and thus legally dubious.
Increasingly more Americans are leaving for Canada or thinking about it and for very good reasons. likewise, the Euro commission will not allow the US nonsense in Europe and if they will not stop it, people will make the EU put a halt to it at the end.

• Haha
Reactions: Heat_Fan89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.