Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Well most people would need SIM PIN (or eSIM) for other reasons, if you use 2-factor with your phone number then it's essential to keep your SIM card protected. My banks need 2-factor but they don't support authenticator apps yet. So they need a phone number for 2-factor so I need to protect my phone number.
Having had 100+ SIM cards over the years, the first SIM pin I ever had to use was in Germany last year.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I switch between my SE and my 15 fairly often and esim makes it a real pain in the butt. I have yet to see a single benefit over physical sim. I wanted to switch phones again yesterday, but the transfer borked itself somehow and both phones ended up with no service. This has happened multiple times now, and usually requires going to a T-Mobile store or spending forever on chat. Luckily this time I was able to reactivate the esim on my SE, but my 15 is still sitting on "activating".

How is this more efficient or convenient than simply popping a chip out of one phone and putting it in the other? The only benefit esim seems to offer is giving telcos more control over customers. And the fact that Apple doesn't even allow esim transfer to android phones, you have to call in or go to a store, is even more bs.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
And the fact that Apple doesn't even allow esim transfer to android phones

How easy is it to move an eSIM from Android over to iPhone? It gives you a QR code to scan or something like that? Also, constantly switching SIMs between phones seems like an edge case, no wonder it's not well supported.

Last edited:

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
How easy is it to move an eSIM from Android over to iPhone? It gives you a QR code to scan or something like that? Also, constantly switching SIMs between phones seems like an edge case, no wonder it's not well supported.

It might be different/easier with other carriers but with mine the only way to get a QR code is by calling in. I know I'm an edge case, but my point is I own my phones and pay for service, I should be able to use a different phone every day if I want.

Dsmith7

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
It might be different/easier with other carriers but with mine the only way to get a QR code is by calling in. I know I'm an edge case, but my point is I own my phones and pay for service, I should be able to use a different phone every day if I want.
Exactly. I own a s23 ultra and 15 pro max. If i want to switch every hour i should be able to.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Broke my 14 pro and had to use a spare pixel 6. Had to call t-mobile to get a qr code to activate the pixel, took almost an hour. Got a 15 pro and had to put in another call to get a qr code to activate it, took another hour.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Highly carrier dependent.

On one of the carriers I used, it was super easy. Just delete the eSIM from the old phone and scan the same QR code on the new phone.

Unfortunately, there are also carriers that require you to make a trip to the store to get a replacement.

Reactions: MisterMillz

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I don't think eSIM is that bad...when it works. With Samsung, via T-Mobile I can just log-in with my credentials and opt to swap the sim without having to talk to anyone. Pretty painless. With Apple you can do it amongst its own devices fairly quickly too. Even talking through T-mobile chat is often pretty painless.

But when it isn't, oh my gosh, it isn't. Reps insisting one device can't hold two esims, waiting an eternity for a QR code, entering the wrong numbers, reps requiring you to call in–at that point, I just head to the store, which takes up more time. All-in-all, it hasn't been too bad though. I'd like to see the capability to swap esim regardless of manufacturer, a la newer Samsung devices on T-mobile.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I don't think eSIM is that bad...when it works. With Samsung, via T-Mobile I can just log-in with my credentials and opt to swap the sim without having to talk to anyone. Pretty painless. With Apple you can do it amongst its own devices fairly quickly too. Even talking through T-mobile chat is often pretty painless.

But when it isn't, oh my gosh, it isn't. Reps insisting one device can't hold two esims, waiting an eternity for a QR code, entering the wrong numbers, reps requiring you to call in–at that point, I just head to the store, which takes up more time. All-in-all, it hasn't been too bad though. I'd like to see the capability to swap esim regardless of manufacturer, a la newer Samsung devices on T-mobile.

That's odd, I have Tmo too and I can't change SIMs online anymore. When I try it takes me to the contact us page.

I did finally get my eSIM issue fixed but it took 2 hours and 3 reps, one of whom insisted there was no way to use both my numbers on one phone without using Digits lol.

• Haha
Reactions: MisterMillz

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
That's odd, I have Tmo too and I can't change SIMs online anymore. When I try it takes me to the contact us page.

I did finally get my eSIM issue fixed but it took 2 hours and 3 reps, one of whom insisted there was no way to use both my numbers on one phone without using Digits lol.
Love that /s. All of a sudden our eSIM only iPhones can't hold 2 esims, let alone 8 lol. iPhone to iPhone can still be done on device. As of about two months ago, I also noticed iPhone to Android and Android to Android has given me the contact us screen. At that point I primarily chat through the app to get it done.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
ATT's implementation of eSIM is really good. installation is easy, and usage settings are clear and easy to understand.
plays very well with iPhones.

and, incredibly, even transferring my ATT eSIM to a different iPhone was very painless.
when i transferred my ATT eSIM to a my wife's iPhone, a popup window appeared and basically did it all automatically.

• Haha
Reactions: Dsmith7

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I use Verizon Business these days, and eSIM is a non-issue. I can very easily change devices in a matter of seconds using their website and have yet to have an issue.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Are Multisims not a thing in the US? I use the same plan on two phones and I don't have to switch anything. It is basically using the same data plan and if someone rings me, both phones ring but when I pick it up on one phone, the other one stops ringing etc. its basically as if one is a clone of the other.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Are Multisims not a thing in the US? I use the same plan on two phones and I don't have to switch anything. It is basically using the same data plan and if someone rings me, both phones ring but when I pick it up on one phone, the other one stops ringing etc. its basically as if one is a clone of the other.
Never heard of such a thing.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Never heard of such a thing.

from the German Telekom page

What is a MultiSIM?
The MultiSIM is a kind of "clone" of the SIM of your MagentaMobil contract. You can therefore use your contract content (e.g. data volume, text messages, phone number for calls) with the MultiSIM on other devices such as smartwatches, surfsticks or tablets.

Depending on the tariff, up to 7 MultiSIMs can be added.

IchabodCricket

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2024
from the German Telekom page

What is a MultiSIM?
The MultiSIM is a kind of "clone" of the SIM of your MagentaMobil contract. You can therefore use your contract content (e.g. data volume, text messages, phone number for calls) with the MultiSIM on other devices such as smartwatches, surfsticks or tablets.

Depending on the tariff, up to 7 MultiSIMs can be added.

The cellular watch is kinda like that with it's parent iPhone, but no, the US (and Canada) doesn't have multisim.

Last edited:
Reactions: internetrando

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
my iphone has both sim + esim (yey for not being from USA). i moved my main number over to esim. no issues so far but i haven't traveled or wanted to transfer my number. i put my work sim into the physical slot and it's been great.

i'll be traveling next month but i don't think there should be any issues as i'm only going from UK to EU. i'm more worried about data caps. I'll need to look into a cheap local sim for internet.
Yeah but you have that dreaded CE mark etched on the frame of the iPhone. Then again I’ve got the dreaded 5G gash on mine 😂

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I have the same in the UAE ….. slight difference is that all sims don’t ring at the same time, you have to select which device receives calls with an SMS short code which changes it within a few seconds, but all devices share data at the same time. You can have 5 devices.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
If you travel internationally, trust the advice to have a second, separate phone (iPhone or Android) with a physical SIM slot. It makes staying connected so, so much easier. Cheaper, too. Walk into local merchant, purchase cheap SIM with cellular calls + data, slide into phone. Done. No ***** around with "chat" or "representatives" from providers with zero physical presence.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
If you travel internationally, trust the advice to have a second, separate phone (iPhone or Android) with a physical SIM slot. It makes staying connected so, so much easier. Cheaper, too. Walk into local merchant, purchase cheap SIM with cellular calls + data, slide into phone. Done. No ***** around with "chat" or "representatives" from providers with zero physical presence.
I respectfully don’t share your views or experience other than I agree on having a spare device. It really depends on the country but also in my experience, it was getting harder and harder (and time consuming) to find good value sims, because of the advent of esims. I usually plan ahead and simply buy an esim online which solves most trips for me globally. I rarely need a local number, only data.

Reactions: saber32au

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
I respectfully don’t share your views or experience other than I agree on having a spare device. It really depends on the country but also in my experience, it was getting harder and harder (and time consuming) to find good value sims, because of the advent of esims. I usually plan ahead and simply buy an esim online which solves most trips for me globally. I rarely need a local number, only data.
Same for me.

Generally when I travel, I need minimal data (unless I'm working overseas...where I get work to pay for a large data allowance).

Esim works well for me; buy the plan before I leave, enable esim on landing, and consume data whilst I'm on my trip.

I rarely (if ever) need a local number. More often then not I give my home country number and ask the person to contact me via whatsapp (which is fairly popular in many countries across the world) or imessage (if I'm in a country where whatsapp doesn't have widespread use such as the US).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.