Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Maybe that's a stupid idea but You can buy iPhone in Europe. All models (even our 15 Pro Max) still have physical SIM slot

Reactions: decafjava

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
It's how the Apple Watch works, isn't it? ie: I have one phone number but it rings (and can make calls) on both my iPhone and Apple Watch.

Sorta. The Apple Watch technically gets its own phone number from the carrier but it's not shown to you. They are connected on the back end via the carrier, and with Apple, so it appears as one number.

I accidentally found the phone number for my cellular 4th gen and I could call it and the watch would ring but not my phone. I don't have a cellular model anymore so I don't know that would still work.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Sorta. The Apple Watch technically gets its own phone number from the carrier but it's not shown to you. They are connected on the back end via the carrier, and with Apple, so it appears as one number.

I accidentally found the phone number for my cellular 4th gen and I could call it and the watch would ring but not my phone. I don't have a cellular model anymore so I don't know that would still work.

It doesn't. You just get an instant hangup.

If you travel internationally, trust the advice to have a second, separate phone (iPhone or Android) with a physical SIM slot. It makes staying connected so, so much easier. Cheaper, too. Walk into local merchant, purchase cheap SIM with cellular calls + data, slide into phone. Done. No ***** around with "chat" or "representatives" from providers with zero physical presence.

My experience has differed. I simply go into a store and get a local plan; the rep pulls up a QR code and I have a second line. That becomes my main data line while still allowing me to get texts for free on my other number. I have also found unlimited data is often cheaper at a carrier store than on prepaid cards; which I want because I also use my phone as a hotspot to watch TV.

Are Multisims not a thing in the US? I use the same plan on two phones and I don't have to switch anything. It is basically using the same data plan and if someone rings me, both phones ring but when I pick it up on one phone, the other one stops ringing etc. its basically as if one is a clone of the other.

Not that I am aware of. If you move a SIM to a new phone the old one stops working.

I rarely (if ever) need a local number. More often then not I give my home country number and ask the person to contact me via whatsapp (which is fairly popular in many countries across the world) or imessage (if I'm in a country where whatsapp doesn't have widespread use such as the US).

Same here. Between WhatsApp and Facetime I never use a local number; and even low speed data, which my plan often includes for free outside the US, is good enough for those apps. Unless I need a hotspot I don't even bother with a local plan; especially since free wifi is pretty prevalent now.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I hate eSIM (or rather, I hate dual-SIM) for a slightly different reason.

I’m travelling right now and have a local cheap eSIM for calls and data, while still keeping my home SIM active for receiving occasional calls and SMS on my home number.

This all works great, except I just got a massive roaming bill because I accidentally made a local call using my home SIM card, which is charged as a very expensive international call!! 😡

The problem is that any number you’ve called previously from a particular SIM will default to using that SIM in future, even if you’ve set a different default SIM. You have to manually change the SIM for each contact in Contacts, or carefully select the SIM you want to use each time you make a call. There’s no way to set a Primary SIM for all calls, only a default for numbers you haven’t called before. Bad UX!

Perhaps there needs to be a setting to turn off making calls while roaming on a SIM, just like there is an option to turn off roaming data. Or at least a warning that you’re making a roaming call when you have a local SIM available too?

Reactions: HDFan

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This all works great, except I just got a massive roaming bill because I accidentally made a local call using my home SIM card, which is charged as a very expensive international call!! 😡

This is why I’m going back to 2 phones again for trips:
  • Travel phone with local SIM or roaming SIM while out and about.
  • Primary/home phone that stays in hotel room safe and used only with wifi calling in airplane mode.
SMS forwarding allows me to get OTPs and messages on either iPhone.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I hate eSIM (or rather, I hate dual-SIM) for a slightly different reason.

I’m travelling right now and have a local cheap eSIM for calls and data, while still keeping my home SIM active for receiving occasional calls and SMS on my home number.

The problem is that any number you’ve called previously from a particular SIM will default to using that SIM in future, even if you’ve set a different default SIM. You have to manually change the SIM for each contact in Contacts, or carefully select the SIM you want to use each time you make a call. There’s no way to set a Primary SIM for all calls, only a default for numbers you haven’t called before. Bad UX!

Perhaps there needs to be a setting to turn off making calls while roaming on a SIM, just like there is an option to turn off roaming data. Or at least a warning that you’re making a roaming call when you have a local SIM available too?
Isn't this exactly why there is a visual marker against each line to minimise the risk and for you to easily check what you are doing. Can you really expect apple to have a setting for everything that someone might accidentally do ? The fact that you don't check before you make a call isn't a problem for Apple IMHO. :) Your network provider can block all outgoing roaming calls if its that much of an issue.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
eSIM is here to stay and will be universal one day.
Apple should not limit the dual physical SIM option to China only... It's nearly 6 years since eSIM/dual physical SIM option was introduced but it still has not been available for countries other than China...

Reactions: Jackbequickly

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Do I really have to spell it out?

There are others that still prefer a single iPhone but want to use dual physical SIM...

Unless you live in the US which you no longer have a physical SIM tray [iPhone 14 series and newer] and you will be happy about it because Apple said so...
You don't have to spell it out but Im interested to know why you make such a bold statement without some kind of rationale. It (dual SIM) has remained in the China market for a specific reason and that's not because people are stamping their feet because they can't have what they want ;)

Has the removal of physical slots in US had any major impact on sales ? (I genuinely don't know) That's probably the only reason that it might return. It seems to me that the majority are quite happy with eSim or will be once they adopt it.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
You don't have to spell it out but Im interested to know why you make such a bold statement without some kind of rationale. It (dual SIM) has remained in the China market for a specific reason and that's not because people are stamping their feet because they can't have what they want ;)

Has the removal of physical slots in US had any major impact on sales ? (I genuinely don't know) That's probably the only reason that it might return. It seems to me that the majority are quite happy with eSim or will be once they adopt it.

The majority are sheep without opinion.

Reactions: winxmac

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
The majority are sheep without opinion.
Or perhaps people are just generally happy with eSIM and consider it more efficient (I accept some don’t) ….. plastic SIM cards have been around for 30+ years isn’t it time to move on to something more efficient ? ….

Reactions: scrane

sk1985

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2006
esim is a trash product offering. Carriers should just give you SIM cards and apple should just offer it. It's not widely adopted outside the USA and a total pain in the you know what to use elsewhere.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Or perhaps people are just generally happy with eSIM and consider it more efficient (I accept some don’t) ….. plastic SIM cards have been around for 30+ years isn’t it time to move on to something more efficient ? ….

Efficient by what? That every time I want to move the eSIM between my phones I need to get permission form the carrier to do so?

Or that I can’t use my perfectly working “old phones” because they don’t support eSIM, so i’m forced to buy expensive and useless new phone instead?

• Love
Reactions: brgjoe and Dsmith7

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Efficient by what? That every time I want to move the eSIM between my phones I need to get permission form the carrier to do so?

Or that I can’t use my perfectly working “old phones” because they don’t support eSIM, so i’m forced to buy expensive and useless new phone instead?

efficient by the fact that 90+% of people will never change their SIM during their iphone's lifespan, so don't have the issues you're describing.

• Haha
Reactions: geta

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
efficient by the fact that 90+% of people will never change their SIM during their iphone's lifespan, so don't have the issues you're describing.

So apparently you and 90% of these people also don't travel and need to swap to local SIMs…

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE

Why can’t you use your old phone ? Which carrier won’t give you a physical sim ? ….. and as I said some don’t find it efficient…..and there will always be some who don’t want to adopt newer tech ….. much like the drama when floppy disks were phased out.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
So apparently you and 90% of these people also don't travel and need to swap to local SIMs…
I travel extensively and never have issues with eSIM but I fully accept there are those who do. But as I asked earlier has it affected sales in the US ? That’s surely a good marker on acceptance and satisfaction.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
The technology in itself is great and a revolution for multi e-SIM usage on modern phones. Helps me juggle three numbers on one phone while traveling to different countries. I am touching down and immediately become a local for my friends and customers being able to reach me via calls, texts, etc. while enjoying 5G speeds.

The implementation by many carriers is the problem. Why can’t they implement a flexible system where moving to another phone is instant, and even a physical SIM could be part of the mix? I’d love to just be able to transition between e-SIM and physical SIM on a number so I can use it in modern AND older phones.

Why are the carriers blocking this? If I can’t use the SIM, they don’t generate any business!

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Why can’t you use your old phone ? Which carrier won’t give you a physical sim ? ….. and as I said some don’t find it efficient…..and there will always be some who don’t want to adopt newer tech ….. much like the drama when floppy disks were phased out.

Now you can still get and use physical SIMs, but it's only a matter of time before the carriers stop providing one, and then what people supposed to do except being forced to buy new phone?

Having options is good, but forcing to use only one not so much...

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Now you can still get and use physical SIMs, but it's only a matter of time before the carriers stop providing one, and then what people supposed to do except being forced to buy new phone?

Having options is good, but forcing to use only one not so much...
Fully understand what you say but physical sims won’t vanish overnight and therefore the spare phones will be older and older to the point that perhaps it’s not a big deal although I accept that it maybe an issue for a small number who don’t update their phones for many years AND need a new sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.