Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Oh, so the new Mac mini won’t have an M2 but an M1 Pro/Max chip?? That breaks a bit my expectations. I was expecting a really lightweight, small Mac mini, but it’s true that, with a proper refrigeration, an M1 Pro/Max can be fitted into a Mac mini.

Also, 16GB as minimum memory on the M1 Pro/Max will be much better than having to pay for the upgrade from 8GB to 16GB in case of the M2 chip.
M1 Pro/Pro Max chip is still very powerful.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
M1 Pro/Pro Max chip is still very powerful.
Actually, it is on a different category than the base M chips, and an M1 Pro is probably more powerful than a future M2 chip. Because, you know, “double” the consumption, “double” the heat, and “double” the cores. Maybe not exactly double -thus, the quotes- but you get my point.

I’m not complaining about the M1 Pro/Max but in my head, the mini was aimed at a more casual audience, that’s why I expected it to be much smaller, lighter and efficient with a lower power SoC

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I was kind of hoping for the new MBA in March/April. But I guess Fall would be nicer for my wallet, seeing that I’m looking to get an iPad mini 6 soon.

norwaypianoman

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Norway
It’s going to be a busy year but we already know that. Can’t wait for the new re-design Of the iPhone 14. It will definitely bring iPhone 4/4S vibes.

I was blown away by the squeeky and sharp speaker in the iPhone 12. While the speaker on iPhone 8 is perfect. It must be something with the aspect in the iPhone12 / iPhone 4 that does not allow for the iPhone 8 speakers.

So I am hoping for a good design for the iPhone 14, that does not hurt my ears. It is very much an important part of the phone.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Oh, so the new Mac mini won’t have an M2 but an M1 Pro/Max chip?? That breaks a bit my expectations. I was expecting a really lightweight, small Mac mini, but it’s true that, with a proper refrigeration, an M1 Pro/Max can be fitted into a Mac mini.

Also, 16GB as minimum memory on the M1 Pro/Max will be much better than having to pay for the upgrade from 8GB to 16GB in case of the M2 chip.
Supposedly this was against more powerful Mac mini pro not the current M1 models. With Apple showing us how they were making more powerful SoC's from the M1 base with the M1 Pro/Max, now you'll likely see multiple M1 Max in a Pro design. The M2 is only to be somewhat faster then a M1 possibly with more GPU cores, but then you have the M1 Pro 8/14, and my impression is what would a M2 be to anything but something you use for ultralight weight Macs?

Last edited:

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA

I feel Apple will still offers M2 for Mac Mini buyers. Similar to how you can buy the M-series and Intel Mac Mini.

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Might finally upgrade my 2018 iPhone end of this year. Not a phone person at all and actively avoid it. I'll text occasionally and with the lockdowns I rarely leave the house to justify a top of the line iPhone, but it might be time to upgrade since it's getting closer to being bricked. How long do iPhones get support, 7-8 years?

Echoing others but an affordable Apple monitor is on my wishlist. Would love to see something thin, lightweight, and if possible - edgeless. It would be great to have an Apple option that isn't 16lbs.

Purchased the Samsung M7 32" for my 16 MBP but the USB-C connection is clunky - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Lots of plugging in and out then waiting... restart and repeat. I don't even look forward to unplugging my M7 monitor from the MBP just to avoid "will it or will it not?". I purchased the Base Model MacBook Air (on sale!) last week just to avoid this nonsense when I need to do non-pro work outside of the home office - also great for me as third monitor.

The M7 works for now. I purchased it in anticipation of some of the rumors. When or if these affordably priced Apple Monitors come, I can use the M7 as a guest bedroom smart TV.

Jcxa

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Athens, GA
At the rate Apple has been going, the 2021 MBP backlog should clear up about two months after the 2022 release. To those who point out an unprecedented increase in demand, I would suggest just because Apple screwed up and actually gave their customers features they have wished for, it just reinforces how tone deaf Apple has been for years. It also reflects how overstated Tim Cook's reputation for being a supply chain wonder. A two+ month wait to receive a $4,000 laptop is ludicrous. So which boogyman will be cited, Covid or Chip shortage? Yet, magically, a wide array of new releases is scheduled later for this year.

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
At the rate Apple has been going, the 2021 MBP backlog should clear up about two months after the 2022 release.... A two+ month wait to receive a $4,000 laptop is ludicrous.

I've been away from the forum but is that how long the current backlog is?! That's insane. I waited a month for mine last year, after ordering on launch day.

Edit: OH Wow, I just checked the Apple website. The 16" MBP are Mar17-30 delivery dates. The 14" MBP are next month. Okay, wow.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I've been away from the forum but is that how long the current backlog is?! That's insane. I waited a month for mine last year, after ordering on launch day.

Edit: OH Wow, I just checked the Apple website. The 16" MBP are Mar17-30 delivery dates. The 14" MBP are next month. Okay, wow.
That’s just for the base models. If you going M1 Max 64GB, that’s well into April.

Sinfonist

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
I’m not complaining about the M1 Pro/Max but in my head, the mini was aimed at a more casual audience, that’s why I expected it to be much smaller, lighter and efficient with a lower power SoC
The Mini is great if you need to

- run in headless mode, eg in a server farm
- build in a device as part of an installation
- use your own external monitors

So I would think it's more suitable for "pro" use than the iMac. Apple has kept the top-end Intel devices in the product line, suggesting that they will be replaced by something in due course. The M1 Max/Pro looks plausible

Reactions: entropys and Boil

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The Mini is great if you need to

- run in headless mode, eg in a server farm
- build in a device as part of an installation
- use your own external monitors

So I would think it's more suitable for "pro" use than the iMac. Apple has kept the top-end Intel devices in the product line, suggesting that they will be replaced by something in due course. The M1 Max/Pro looks plausible

And for those of us that don’t need a Mac Pro but do not want our computer to be tied into the monitor (iMac)

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
What i would like to know is the new MacBook Air going to have a larger screen?

Would love this option! A 16" MBA would be tears of joy.

I always have a triple screen setup:
A large central monitor for Pro software with lots of custom menus and plugins to do my work.

A MBP off the side for project management and a list of tasks to complete as well as time tracking and invoicing software open.

Then I like to have a third monitor off the other side for references (mood boards, or research material to address) as well as movies or videos playing, which is currently my MBA.

It would be nice to have a MBA with a similar screen footprint to the 16" MBP.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Bring it on, I'm still using the vintage 27" iMac (Late 2014) at work and been holding up for a big upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.