Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
My biggest complaint is Monterey 12.0 which shipped on my M1 MacBook Pro. I bought a maxed out one (other than storage) for $4k and can't plug it into an external display without it kernel panicking during sleep/wake from sleep. 12.1 made it better but didn't resolve it. Apple support useless, I spend hours with each Senior Advisor for them to just close my case blaming Samsung (monitor manufacturer) and saying they can help me with this (yeah right!). The same kernel panic bug has existed with many USB-c devices including hard drives and docks since February 2021 with Big Sur. Even though this was a factory install of Monterey one user with same issue recommended wiping the OS manually and I have yet to do that. But between that and apps crashing constantly on my phone, the stupid focus features to clean up the annoying billion notifications features introduced previously, I am just so tired of crappy software. Make it stable as a baseline, THEN add all this garbage for the average users that need new OS features every year or they won't pull their attention away from tik tok long enough to buy a computer
Thanks for the response! I'm still on Big SUR on the air so i have to hold off anyway
as many of the plug in makers are just getting up to speed with 11,
so though 12 looks interesting I don't want the hassle so I'll wait.
Thanks!

macar00n

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2021
Thanks for the response! I'm still on Big SUR on the air so i have to hold off anyway
as many of the plug in makers are just getting up to speed with 11,
so though 12 looks interesting I don't want the hassle so I'll wait.
Thanks!
Probably for the best. For what it's worth, the main issue I've complained about has been on M1 Macs since Big Sur, but even if you're not experiencing that one I personally can't say Monterey feels like a fully baked OS. I have no idea what's going on over at Apple.

Reactions: fourthtunz

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
I have this problem as well. I find if I use the top left USB-C port it is pretty reliable.

Same. The top left USB-C port is currently what I'm using, but before that it was the one below it.

I think during my initial tests it had registered a connection in whichever USB-C port was used - the power delivery would always work, but the video signal wouldn't. So I had to switch USB-C ports and it registered with the left 2nd down USB-C port but it was a 30 minute game of constant restarting to finally switch ports to the top left. Lots of restarting both the M7 and MBP.

Currently my MBP registers the M7 on the top left, and so far no hiccups but I go through a very particular process of unplugging the M7 from my MBP at night: Turn off the M7, unplug USB-C, then plug in the charger on my MBP (for TimeMachine nightly backups).

If I break that specific sequence of unplugging my MBP and M7, it all goes haywire 😟

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
... I personally think that the ”Classic” suffix, used previously on iPods, would make the job.

This would be my lineup suggestion:
ClassicConsumerPro
iPhoneCurrent iPhone SE, older design and features (iPhone 6 look, Touch ID)Current 13 and 13 mini, newer design and features, but not as advanced as the proCurrent 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max, best of the best, everything that Apple has to offer
WatchCurrent Watch SE, older design and sensors (No ECG, Series 6 design and display)Current Series 7, nothing to addMaybe the rumored rugged version, or just the high-end of the current Watch models
iPadCurrent entry-level iPad, older design and features (No 2nd generation Pencil support, home button Touch ID and original iPad Air design)Current mini and Air (drop the Air suffix), newer design, features and internals, but not as advanced as the proCurrent Pro, best of the best, similar to iPhone Pro, everything that Apple has to offer

I love it. That's a great idea, rename the SE to Classic. It eliminates confusion for regular consumers and from a sales and marketing perspective too. It would be so easy to say your choices are 3: Classic, Consumer, or Pro.

There's at the very least a product re-naming that needs to happen. I still own the iPhone XS Max, which was a doozy, it's the ten but it's also extra small but is the max size.

Something like: iPhone # Classic , iPhone #, and iPhone # Pro.

Macbook vs MacBook Pro.
Mac vs Mac Pro.

Maybe just drop the name for Air and Mini and have consumers assume that whether it's a Macbook or a Mac, the base tier would always prioritize compact portability. Is it absolutely necessary to put "Mini" or "Air"?

I'm just nitpicking at this point, but from a marketing perspective it helps make the product line-up a bit more organized. It also makes the sales associate's job simpler and sets up a level of expectation from the consumers so they know exactly what to look for in each of the product segments every time. I think consistency is key and makes The Paradox of Choice less daunting for your average consumer.

Reactions: gonsawa_

gonsawa_

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2021
Maybe just drop the name for Air and Mini and have consumers assume that whether it's a Macbook or a Mac, the base tier would always prioritize compact portability. Is it absolutely necessary to put "Mini" or "Air"?

I'm just nitpicking at this point, but from a marketing perspective it helps make the product line-up a bit more organized. It also makes the sales associate's job simpler and sets up a level of expectation from the consumers so they know exactly what to look for in each of the product segments every time. I think consistency is key and makes The Paradox of Choice less daunting for your average consumer.
I 100% agree with you. There’s no need for the “Air” suffix anymore, since the Pro and Air are the only notebooks. I really hope that with the rumored Air redesign they also drop the suffix.

Reactions: CoffeeMacBook

Tech_Mac_Man

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2018
Toronto, ON
It's all about the NEW 2022 Macbook Air. Looking forward to them releasing it in April/May of this year instead of the Fall. The Macbook Air is way overdue for an update. Yes Covid and shortage of chips don't help but hopefully Apple gets the first dips on chip sets and hardware before any other manufactures.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

zeeshanmh215

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2021
Purchased the Samsung M7 32" for my 16 MBP but the USB-C connection is clunky - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Lots of plugging in and out then waiting... restart and repeat. I don't even look forward to unplugging my M7 monitor from the MBP just to avoid "will it or will it not?". I purchased the Base Model MacBook Air (on sale!) last week just to avoid this nonsense when I need to do non-pro work outside of the home office - also great for me as third monitor.

The M7 works for now. I purchased it in anticipation of some of the rumors. When or if these affordably priced Apple Monitors come, I can use the M7 as a guest bedroom smart TV.

Did you mean you don't have issues with M1 Air connecting M7? I have ordered M1 Air but looking for an external monitor. I had planned for a Dell U2720Q which seems perfect for my Air with USB-C port available for charge but doesn't seem to be in stock right now until next 30-35 days. So was looking at M7 just yesterday. Let me know if you don't have any issues and would recommend that?

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Did you mean you don't have issues with M1 Air connecting M7? I have ordered M1 Air but looking for an external monitor. I had planned for a Dell U2720Q which seems perfect for my Air with USB-C port available for charge but doesn't seem to be in stock right now until next 30-35 days. So was looking at M7 just yesterday. Let me know if you don't have any issues and would recommend that?

I have issues with both my MBP and MBA (any MacBook). My MBP 16" I connect with the Samsung M7, but I use my MBA as a completely separate computer on the side, not connected to the M7.

It's not a perfect setup but it works. You'll just have to be willing to connect and disconnect to get the M7 and MBP (or MBA) to recognize it. The USB-C port always recognizes the power delivery, but for whatever reason the video signal sometimes requires a bit more work and isn't as consistent in recognizing as the power delivery. The mechanisms are all there, but with any third party monitor - it's not as smooth as Apple Hardware.

I think for the price, it's worth it. Once the video signal registers in one of the USB-C ports on your MBP, it recognizes it fairly consistently.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
Things that are overrated and don’t really have a place in the real world, outside of the idea that they might be cool:
  1. DVDs that you pay to rent every time you play them at home
  2. 3D TVs
  3. Amazon puppy that follows you around
  4. Foldable phones
  5. VR being a thing
DIVX FTL ;)

Reactions: Veeper

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
U4021 for the win - 5K2K. Works great with my 2010 Mac Pro and 2020 MBP, though the M1 Air might have difficulty at full rez.
I view the M1 Air kinda like the G5 1.6GHz I had back in the day, a PoC testbed to soon be eclipsed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.