Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

precision01

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Yikes this needs to be able to be turned off and it should be off by default. Why in the world would anyone need this? The keyboard has a light to indicate this....and has for years!!!

For anyone who uses Parallels desktop, this infamous caps lock icon is a totally mess. It pops from nothing at the middle of the screen... it covers the first two or three letter of any text so you can't see them... and many other bizarre behaviors....

precision01

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
At the mentioned Stack overflow thread, a clever user simplified the terminal command, where we can finally disable this "redesigned_text_cursor":

1. Open Terminal.
2. Type the following sudo command:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist redesigned_text_cursor -dict-add Enabled -bool NO

3. Restart the computer

Finally the disgraced blue caps lock icon is gone for good. The keyboard swap indicator is also like it was before (see attached image).

Captura de Tela 2023-10-19 às 09.09.55.png

Reactions: j7205 and ixxx69

Purrific

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2023
At the mentioned Stack overflow thread, a clever user simplified the terminal command, where we can finally disable this "redesigned_text_cursor":

1. Open Terminal.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist redesigned_text_cursor -dict-add Enabled -bool NO

3. Restart the computer

Finally the disgraced blue caps lock icon is gone for good. The keyboard swap indicator is also like it was before (see attached image).
Thank you so much for posting this solution!

I updated to Sonoma the other day and have been finding the constant intrusive blue arrow extremely aggravating. I'm a translator, and some of my documents are in all caps (medical, not allowed change the format). So typing away in all caps and having this huge blue flashing icon has been highly irritating.

It is truly bizarre that this is not an optional setting.

Reactions: jchap and ixxx69

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
I too would like the option to disable this. I've logged feedback with Apple. I doubt they care.
This type of icon is yet another example of someone on the development team thinking they must hold our hand and assuming we’re not intelligent enough to learn from our mistakes. All of this handholding is one of the reasons entitlement exists in today’s society. Oh dear, what in the world would I ever do without mommy and daddy holding my hand all the time.. how on earth did mankind ever survive before computers were invented, smh.

Last edited:

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
As it should be. You all are crazy!
What's crazy is Apple implementing a feature like this without an option to turn it off. This is one of the absolute worst UI decisions they've ever made. It may not be that big a deal to most people (though pretty much every Mac user I know hates it), but as someone who uses ALL CAPS extensively for work purposes, it's a HUGE PITA. It's made me want to throw my Mac out the window.

And that whole "as it should be" attitude is what causes they sort of completely unnecessary issues.

Thank goodness some clever people figured out a way to disable it.

• Love
Reactions: zevrix and Purrific

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
What's crazy is Apple implementing a feature like this without an option to turn it off. This is one of the absolute worst UI decisions they've ever made. It may not be that big a deal to most people (though pretty much every Mac user I know hates it),

Meaning you and a couple of people you know.

Well, at least now you know a Mac user who really likes it, so you can assume there’s more.

but as someone who uses ALL CAPS extensively for work purposes, it's a HUGE PITA. It's made me want to throw my Mac out the window.

Yes, I can see how a small icon can completely wreck your work. It is horrible.

And that whole "as it should be" attitude is what causes they sort of completely unnecessary issues.

I mean, every design decision will bother someone. And I guess they should put an option to disable it. Why would you do that (it doesn’t cover anything) is beyond me, but you do you.

Reactions: jchap

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
Even the password field doesn't need it, because there's already an existing icon that shows up for them.

View attachment 2355206

I meant this text field that is on some websites and is created with the following code:

Code:
<input type="password" tabindex="2" id="password" name="password" size="25" class="inputbox autowidth" autocomplete="off" />

Reactions: Nermal

apr

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2020
We can hide the indicators using:
"sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist redesigned_text_cursor -dict-add Enabled -bool NO"

But I found, that this fix caused other problem: The text cursor disappears (randomly) in various apps (outlook, safari, finder etc.) This is much worse than the original problem, you cannot insert text, because there is no visual indicator where is the carret.

I reverted the UIKit.plist change, since then the text cursor works correctly.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Interesting. I'd logged a bug with Mail because tabbing past the Subject field and then shift-tabbing back to it made the cursor disappear, but I hadn't twigged that it was related to the caps lock icon. Of course, if Apple provided a "proper" setting then it hopefully wouldn't exhibit that bug.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
I posted this on the Apple Support forum, but no reply yet.

I found the tiny caps icon that appears - and persists - in the middle of a document when one tapped the Caps Lock key to be annoying.

I searched for how to turn this off, successfully did so, but unwisely did not save the terminal command that turned it off...and presumably back on.

After a week of no Caps Lock functionality, I'd like to revert to having an enabled Caps Lock key but don't know how to do so.

Any help or instructions on how to get this Caps Lock functionality back would be greatly appreciated.

In another MacRumor's thread I found this command to turn OFF the Caps Lock:

1. Open Terminal.

3. Restart the computer

Can I run this command, swapping the NO for YES, to restore the Caps Lock functionality???

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
1. Open Terminal.

3. Restart the computer

Can I run this command, swapping the NO for YES, to restore the Caps Lock functionality???
You can, but it's probably best to delete /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist and restart

Reactions: Speed38

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
Thanks so much for replying.

When I followed the path you gave me, the FeatureFlags folder bore the red circle with a horizontal yellow bar.

When I did a Get Info, I see, under Sharing and Permissions, that system = Read & Write and everyone = No Access.

I have never messed about with Permissions before and hope you have a moment to tell me how to deal with them so that I can delete the UIKit.plist and restart.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
From Terminal:

- to delete the Domain folder and the UIKit.plist

Code:
sudo rm -r /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain

- to delete only UIKit.plist

Code:
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist

Reactions: Speed38

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
Thanks, but no joy yet. I ran the code sudo rm /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist in terminal, restarted, and the Caps Lock key still does not work.

Have I buggered this thing up permanently???

Again, the Caps Key works when I enter my admin password, but as soon as I reach the desktop, it no longer works.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
Thanks, zevrix. Got Onyx. Opened it and it showed [Show the caps lock indicator] as ON so I turned it Off and restarted. No caps lock functionality. Relaunched Onyx, turned [Show the caps lock indicator] to ON and restarted. Again, once at the desktop, there was no caps lock functionality and launching Onyx just to double check, it shows [Show the caps lock indicator] as ON.

It looks like I have well and truly made a mess of this.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
A thought. Since this file we are trying to manipulate is in the root directory, will it not be replaced when Sequoia is released this fall? Once I upgrade to Sequoia, the caps lock key should begin working again, no?

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
Nope, because when I try it when I type in my password at the logon prompt after the restart, it works, but after everything loads, it does not...so it's not hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.