Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The keyboard has a light to indicate this....and has for years!!!
That light is for those who write looking at the keyboard. :) Those who look at the screen while typing can clearly see the CAPS ;) In my opinion, the new indicator is useless for both categories.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yikes this needs to be able to be turned off and it should be off by default. Why in the world would anyone need this? The keyboard has a light to indicate this....and has for years!!!
i don't care if apple sets it on by default, just feel that we need that option to disable it...

Reactions: Nermal

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Apparently the light on the caps lock isnt enough for people to know when it is on or off....not to mention the fact that when they type...THEY WILL KNOW!!!

• Angry
Reactions: BriannaM

BriannaM

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
I am on DAY 1.... AND I AM ALREADY GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This MUST be deliberate torture.
NOBODY could possibly be stupid enough to think that ANYONE would want this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somebody call Tim Cook and have him put every Apple employee on the task of getting his stupid, distracting, annoying bubble off the screen immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BriannaM

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
I've now "promoted" my feedback to a proper bug report: in both Discord and Warcraft (edit: and TextEdit) it pops up after exactly 8 minutes without typing. I suspect it actually affects all apps but haven't confirmed that.
YES! It has affect ALL of my NON-APPLE APPS!!!!! I AM FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
What can we do about this???? I am losing my mind!!!!!!!!!!

Until Apple does something about it (which is unlikely to happen anytime soon), try to disable your Caps Lock key entirely:

System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Modifier Keys; set Caps Lock to No Action.

I always have it disabled as otherwise I constantly activate it by pressing accidentally.

The Shift key is sufficient for my capitalizing needs. But I do realize that if you actually do need Caps Lock key to type in caps frequently then it can be an issue.

luckman212

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Manager:
"Listen CapsLock Dev, your numbers last year look really bad. People aren't engaging enough with their CapsLock key. Tim wants to see growth. Federighi wants new features added every quarter."
CapsLock Dev:
"But..."
Manager:
"No Buts. This order comes straight from up top."
CapsLock Dev:
"What about the people who know how to type and don't want—"
Manager:
"NO BUTS!!!"
CapsLock Dev:
"What if the big annoying icon gets in people's way, or distracts them?"
Manager:
"We asked 4 random grandmas who use iPads to type emails and they said they liked this feature"
CapsLock Dev:
"Well, ok, but shouldn't we make it optional? Advanced users should be able to keep the current—"
Manager:
"No way! Options just confuse our users. They only know how to watch TikToks and send iMessages."
CapsLock Dev:
"Ugh. How's this then?
1696180861915.png
Manager:
"Perfect. Ship it!"

BriannaM

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
Manager:
"Listen CapsLock Dev, your numbers last year look really bad. People aren't engaging enough with their CapsLock key. Tim wants to see growth. Federighi wants new features added every quarter."
CapsLock Dev:
"But..."
Manager:
"No Buts. This order comes straight from up top."
CapsLock Dev:
"What about the people who know how to type and don't want—"
Manager:
"NO BUTS!!!"
CapsLock Dev:
"What if the big annoying icon gets in people's way, or distracts them?"
Manager:
"We asked 4 random grandmas who use iPads to type emails and they said they liked this feature"
CapsLock Dev:
"Well, ok, but shouldn't we make it optional? Advanced users should be able to keep the current—"
Manager:
"No way! Options just confuse our users. They only know how to watch TikToks and send iMessages."
CapsLock Dev:
"Ugh. How's this then?
Manager:
"Perfect. Ship it!"
You forgot to add in that the CapsLock Dev must make sure that this new "feature" gets activated in EVERY application, including ALL purchased software programs that are not even made by Apple!!!

And also, make sure that the caps lock icon is so large, that it prevents people from reading the line below whatever they are editing.

And, make sure the icon flashes on and off, to cause the most amount of distraction possible.

apr

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2020
This is the most idiot new feature ever shipped on mac...
(There is a similar stupid indicator for the current language, if we are using multiple keyboard layout.)

Reactions: ixxx69

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
(There is a similar stupid indicator for the current language, if we are using multiple keyboard layout.)
That disappears if you disable “Show Input menu in menu bar” (Keyboard – Text Input – Input Sources – Edit)

A first step, the caps lock icon is in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/EFILogin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/EFIResourceBuilder.bundle/Contents/Resources/loginui_password_capslock.png

Now we have to figure out how (probably) HIToolbox controls it :)

Last edited:

kunze50

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Nelson, BC
The indicator shows centered in a Parallels VM window, which becomes very annoying to work around. I use software that required text input as CAPS so this is forcing me to adjust ways. Seems sloppy as it seems like testing with a Virtual Machine was overlooked..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 11.45.33 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 11.45.33 AM.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: precision01

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
That doesn't get rid of it on my machine.
It might have been just a glitch on my Mac. I couldn't get it to work again. Sometimes, just after login, the caps and language icons are not displayed.

I think the are controlled by the CursorUIViewService process. While com.apple.TextInputSwitcher and com.apple.TextInputMenuAgent are present in Monterey and Ventura, CursorUIViewService appears only in Sonoma.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TextInputUIMacHelper.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/CursorUIViewService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/CursorUIViewService

I can stop and disable com.apple.TextInputSwitcher and com.apple.TextInputMenuAgent, but I can’t find what starts CursorUIViewService or how to disable it. Nor could I find any preferences related to CursorUIViewService.
Maybe someone else has better luck.

Setting “Change input language” to the Fn
mac-fn-key-globe-icon.png
key displays both languages.
US-FR.jpg

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Same thing, caught it once.
I found this solution, what do you think?
It seems to be working. I don’t know JavaScript, but testing in a virtual machine I get that it creates the folder /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain then a file UIKit.plist with this content

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>redesigned_text_cursor</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Enabled</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Reboot and CursorUIViewService is no longer active, the caps lock and languages icons are no longer displayed.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Same solution, but from Terminal:

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'redesigned_text_cursor:Enabled' bool false" /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist

Tested and working on MBA M1 Sonoma 14.0 (23A344)

saf_andy

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2023
Reboot and CursorUIViewService is no longer active, the caps lock and languages icons are no longer displayed.
Yes, it works. I have also lost the icon, but the spotlight field for example has moved to the left relative to the center of the screen :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 18.56.23.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 18.56.23.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 97

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Yes, it works. I have also lost the icon, but the spotlight field for example has moved to the left relative to the center of the screen :)
You can press Command (⌘) and drag the Spotlight window with the mouse wherever you like on the screen. The position should be remembered.

Reactions: saf_andy

kunze50

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Nelson, BC
Same solution, but from Terminal:

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add 'redesigned_text_cursor:Enabled' bool false" /Library/Preferences/FeatureFlags/Domain/UIKit.plist

Tested and working on MBA M1 Sonoma 14.0 (23A344)
THANK YOU for this fix!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.