Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I've never even seen a Galaxy tablet, or any non-iPad tablet for that matter other than a Microsoft Surface or Kindle fire.

I see iPads all day long. I know android users with an iPad.
You do see cheaper Android tablets here in Europe occasionally but agree iPads more often.
usually the cheaper ones with the home button though when I look around on flights

Reactions: wbeasley

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
That’s hilarious.

Oh we acknowledge them and realize they are 💩

The only tablets worth mentioning are iPads and surfaces. Anything else is a waste of time lol.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actively use an android tablet in my undergrad or law school days. Only time I see them is when they are using the cheap Ones from Walmart that you give the kids (android excels because it’s cheap not better) or those cheap tablets they use in stores lmao.

Android tablets have been around for over a decade. They will never catch up to iPad for productivity.
I disagree. If we’re talking pure tablets, it’s the Galaxy tab and iPad line I’d only consider.

The surface for me is a modular laptop replacement that’s decent (better than iPad) for productivity such as Office apps. And as a device that can run more powerful ”desktop software”. As a pure tablet it is extremely mediocre though because of its weight and because of how windows is not well optimised for touch.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
Now I have a fairly new M2 iPad Pro, but frankly, I can’t tell much difference between the M1 iPad Pro I was running during my comparison.
I still use and love my 12.9” iPad Pro. It’s smooth and keeps up with everything I throw at it, albeit it’s a bit bulky. I’d love to see how the M4 feels in hand, but I’ll most likely not get another iPad as long as my M1 is running well.

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2024
Every time I've had to use Android I've absolutely hated it, so the hardware of an Android based tablet would have to be pure magic, perfect screen, sound quality as though you're actually sitting in front of the orchestra, battery life of a week, before I'd even consider one.

I have, however, been briefly tempted by a Surface. It's not a very good tablet, but as a touch-screen laptop without a keyboard, it seems nice. Turns out I don't want that. If I want to use a laptop, I don't want anything touching my screen!

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I disagree. If we’re talking pure tablets, it’s the Galaxy tab and iPad line I’d only consider.

The surface for me is a modular laptop replacement that’s decent (better than iPad) for productivity such as Office apps. And as a device that can run more powerful ”desktop software”. As a pure tablet it is extremely mediocre though because of its weight and because of how windows is not well optimised for touch.
I’ve used surface since the OG and rt days. Weight has never been any issue for me using it in my bed as a media device.

I still have my sp9/surface book that I use but I’m all in with mac/ios/ipad os these days so I don’t use either as often as I used to.

Android tablets offer nothing and considering the terrible Os and its laggy performance compared to iOS and even a full blown os like windows, I could never buy it.

I even told my friend to buy a used iPad instead of giving her kid a cheap android tablet because nobody should be using an android tablet honestly.

macabrumorsab

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2017
I’ve been using iPads for years, but it’s always a bit cumbersome with iOS. I always feel like I’m trying to play a violin inside a phone booth. I picked up the S9 ultra last Christmas and I really-really wanted to keep it. Unfortunately, I struggled with logging onto websites because I’m so used to using Face ID. Likewise, not even Samsung‘s own apps seem to work without bugs. It’s simply not optimized for the tablet at all in my opinion. You have to use third-party apps to get the darn thing to work. Certainly, iOS 17.x once again introduced more bugs that I didn’t have before the update, so it’s almost a draw. 🤷‍♂️
Samsung’s own Apps are the best and most bug-free Apps you can find out there. And they are the best Apps adapted to tablets. In fact, most of them work like PC Application. So, what do you mean by they don't seem to work without bugs? Which one?
And why didn’t you use logging onto websites with the fingerprint sensor? This has been working for years (long before Face ID or anything similar was offered on iPads to login onto websites).
I have been using both iPads and Samsung tabs for years. My experiences is the Samsung tablets feel and behave like real computers while iPads really feel like bigger phones.
I have on a daily basis crashes on my iPads. I can't remember when I had any issues on the Tab S8 Ultra.

macabrumorsab

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2017
IMO yes 16:10 is better for video consumption, but 4:3 is MUCH better for everything else in a tablet. Especially if you use things in portrait mode.
The problem is what to do with the huge iPad Pro screen in Portrait mode if you can't open two apps in split screen on top of each other. It is actually unbelievable that this is still not possible. The iPadOs is really a joke!

Reactions: Harry Haller

macabrumorsab

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2017
Great device but I prefer the iPad Pro

- S9 ultra heavier to use just as a tablet
- universal control feature is important for me (+ ecosystem in general )
- S9 ultra aspect ratio is better for video but not for most other things - 4:3 is more versatile
- Screen is more reflective on the tab S9 ultra
S9 is bigger, therefore heavier. Just take a Tab S9+ (12.5 inch) instead.

Instead of universal control you have multi control on Samsung which not only works on the notebook and tablet, but guess what, also on your Samsung phone👍I am enjoying right now😊

The screen is a bit more reflective, but the upcoming Tab S10 Ultra will have the same anti-reflective coating as S24 Ultra which would make it unbeatable.

One more thing: my daughter enjoys her Tab S9+ on her Pool Lounger every day without being afraid it could fall into water which happened already twice😊

macabrumorsab

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2017
The S Pen is nowhere near the quality peripheral that the Pencil Pro is. It's not as feature rich, it isn't built as well, and Samsung's warranty coverage for the device absolutely stinks. For artists and content creators, there is no comparison: iPad Pro and Pencil Pro win hands down.
What? Did you just say "It's not as feature rich"? Really?

macabrumorsab

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2017
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actively use an android tablet in my undergrad or law school days. Only time I see them is when they are using the cheap Ones from Walmart that you give the kids (android excels because it’s cheap not better) or those cheap tablets they use in stores lmao.
So you haven't really seen one let alone used one but say they were sh.t? Incredible credible!

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
I’ve used surface since the OG and rt days. Weight has never been any issue for me using it in my bed as a media device.

I still have my sp9/surface book that I use but I’m all in with mac/ios/ipad os these days so I don’t use either as often as I used to.

Android tablets offer nothing and considering the terrible Os and its laggy performance compared to iOS and even a full blown os like windows, I could never buy it.

I even told my friend to buy a used iPad instead of giving her kid a cheap android tablet because nobody should be using an android tablet honestly.

Why should nobody use an Android tablet?

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I watched the video. Samsung tablets still suck in 2024.

I don't use a keyboard with a tablet. Using a Pencil, the aspect ratio of the iPad is much better all-round because it is sized like a piece of paper.

The M4 is more powerful. CAD and rendering is faster and better on the M4.

Putting a Pencil holder on the back is total crapolla. You can't lay it flat on a table or desk when using a Pencil.

The only single one reason to perhaps choose the Samdung tablet is if the only single one thing you do is watch movies.

🤌

Reactions: wbeasley

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Should’ve compared performance :)
I’d like to see a comparison of the software between the two. Checked Samsung’s product page and a couple of reviews. Other than Google Office stuff, I can’t find what apps come in the box of the Galaxy.

Everyone’s talking specs and display brightness, but does it have software comparable to GarageBand (for example) in the box? I honestly don’t know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.