Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
SAmsung’s site described the screen as “12.4" Dynamic AMOLED 2X
I take the “2X” to indicate a tandem OLED.
If that were the case, Samsung would certainly lay claim to the 'tandem' or 'dual' layers as benefits offered by their device. Considering the 400 nit difference in baseline display, I'd say theirs is NOT 'tandem/dual' and therefore NOT equivalent to the iPad's display.

Reactions: wbeasley

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
If that were the case, Samsung would certainly lay claim to the 'tandem' or 'dual' layers as benefits offered by their device. Considering the 400 nit difference in baseline display, I'd say theirs is NOT 'tandem/dual' and therefore NOT equivalent to the iPad's display.
Could be. I didn’t see any tech specs that listed real details. I do wonder what they mean by the 2X in the screen name. “12.4" Dynamic AMOLED 2X

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Could be. I didn’t see any tech specs that listed real details. I do wonder what they mean by the 2X in the screen name. “12.4" Dynamic AMOLED 2X
"Dynamic AMOLED 2X is the latest and greatest generation of Dynamic AMOLED technology. Taking Dynamic AMOLED to even greater heights it offers the best in smartphone display technology. Dynamic Tone Mapping optimises colour and contrast to give 100% accurate DCI-P3 colour gamut and the ‘2X’ relates to the upgraded Hz - from 60Hz to an exceptional 120Hz ensuring super smooth scrolling and highly responsive movements ..."

https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-phone-buying-guide/what-is-dynamic-amoled-screen/

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
The biggest surprise here is that Samsung thought it was a good idea to put a notch on a tablet: even Apple has yet to make this particular sin against good design. 🫢

Samsung may need to dial back the Courage™ just a little.
As the owner of 3 generations of 12.9” iPad Pro, and 2 generations of Tab Ultra 15”…

The notch makes no difference, as it disappears into the small letterbox in movies.

The Tab Ultra is phenomenal. I’m always waiting to see if Apple can get back in the game with their pro tablet, but it’s been 3 years now, and they’re still just adding features the Samsung has had for that entire time.

Reactions: Ramchi and aue123

IJustZee

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2024
The best thing about the Samsung products is that the stylus works across multiple products. I do most of my work with a stylus these days, and my iPhone is basically useless when it comes to that.

The Samsung is winning there by a landslide.

Another important thing for me is Samsung (and other android tablets) can handle multiple user accounts like a real computer. We don’t need separate devices for everyone in my family. Samsung dex is also superior to ipados external monitor handling. IpadOS is like a child toy.

Reactions: Ramchi

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
This review seems geared toward using tablets as laptops. I would prefer hearing a review from someone that only uses the stylus and finger gestures which was the original intent of these devices.
Agreed, and that is very often my problem with YouTubers review of the iPad Pro .
For me it’s always a tablet first, and I use touch and pen much more than the keyboard

this is also why an S9 ultra for me is too big to use as a tablet and why a surface pro is not a great device for my needs as the optimisation for touch is not great

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
The biggest surprise here is that Samsung thought it was a good idea to put a notch on a tablet: even Apple has yet to make this particular sin against good design. 🫢

Is it even any bit of any kind of surprise anymore? This is the company that always backtracks. I mean, everyone is all like, "YAAAAAAA stick it to Apple!!!" "Ruthless BRUTAL take down of Apple and their anti-consumerism!!!!" But, then pikachu shock faced when Samsung does the very thing they mocked Apple for.

*makes fun of Apple sheep for wanting to buy a mobile phone without a headphone jack* (Samsung not only removes the headphone jack, but removes the SD card slot, and seals in the battery)

:cool: :cool: HAY GUYS, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW WE'VE TOTALLY NOT REMOVED THE IN-BOX CHARGER FOR YOUR GALAXY PHONE!! :cool: :cool: AREN'T WE SO AWESOME ✌️✌️ (then deletes tweet and removes the charger)

"Hee hee hee! We made a commercial about a family with notched hair cuts! See we're funny! We made a joke!" (makes a notched tablet)

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

Perhaps the iPad still doesn't have one because it's often used in varying orientations, which would look awkward.

Well, they're always a little full of it. Like when they criticized no headphone jack, then also removed it themselves.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
"Dynamic AMOLED 2X is the latest and greatest generation of Dynamic AMOLED technology. Taking Dynamic AMOLED to even greater heights it offers the best in smartphone display technology. Dynamic Tone Mapping optimises colour and contrast to give 100% accurate DCI-P3 colour gamut and the ‘2X’ relates to the upgraded Hz - from 60Hz to an exceptional 120Hz ensuring super smooth scrolling and highly responsive movements ..."

https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-phone-buying-guide/what-is-dynamic-amoled-screen/
So basically, their so-called 'AMOLED 2X' is...hot air. Like most Samsung claims, marketing-speak with no depth. iPad Pro's already have had variable refresh rates for several years now, likewise the DCI-P3 color gamut (I think 98-99%, but close enough for most users of an iPad Pro).

And this "2X" in the name is most definitely meant to mislead consumers into thinking, 'Oh, like a "tandem" or "dual" OLED—just like the iPad Pro, but for fewer dollars!'

Samsung did the same thing with television screens when they couldn't scale their OLEDs to large sizes economically (and consistently) and their main Korean competitor, LG, was having huge success with their OLED televisions and in fact making the screens for EVERYONE else in the market who used a quality OLED.

So 'Samesung' came up with the term "QLED" - it even LOOKS like "OLED" at first glance. And that is not accidental, the term was obviously designed with this in mind. Typical as with everything at this point, cloud the consumer mind, confuse the terminology (especially as most people won't really know that QLED and OLED are even different technologies).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.