Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
One note in favor of Samsung's keyboard is that it can be separated into two pieces, leaving the back cover attached to the tablet for protection. While Apple has a keyboard design like this for cheaper iPads, the Magic Keyboard can not be removed from the iPad Pro without also removing the back cover.

One thing that reviews seem to not mention is how the kickstand design on these and the surface make it super unstable/impossible to use on a small or uneven surface like your lap. There are also ultra thin cases that are compatible with the Magic Keyboard so you get the best of both worlds.

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Does the Samsung use the duel OLED panel thing? If not, and the screen is barely any difference, it suggests the Apple talk about how amazing duel layer OLED is is just nonsense.
It does not offer a tandem OLED screen. The Samsung tablet's normal max brightness is around 600 nits vs the iPad Pro's max brightness of 1000 nits.

chiltonwebb3

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
The best thing about the Samsung products is that the stylus works across multiple products. I do most of my work with a stylus these days, and my iPhone is basically useless when it comes to that.

The Samsung is winning there by a landslide.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Great device but I prefer the iPad Pro

- S9 ultra heavier to use just as a tablet
- universal control feature is important for me (+ ecosystem in general )
- S9 ultra aspect ratio is better for video but not for most other things - 4:3 is more versatile
- Screen is more reflective on the tab S9 ultra

Deine Mudda

macrumors member
May 16, 2022

With the introduction of OLED displays, a thinner design, and more in the M4 iPad Pro, we thought it was worth taking another look at Samsung's flagship OLED tablet, the Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra, to see how the two compare and which one might be the better purchase for you.

Both tablets offer excellent OLED displays, though the Tab S9 Ultra's 14.6-inch 16:10 display is better optimized for video consumption than the iPad Pro's 13-inch 4:3 display. The wider aspect ratio on the Tab S9 Ultra means widescreen video content fits much better on the display, offering a larger content view with much less letterboxing than on the iPad Pro.

The Tab S9 Ultra's display is rated just a bit brighter than the iPad Pro's, but in real-world usage the difference isn't noticeable. HDR content on the Tab S9 Ultra can get a bit too bright, however, washing out other content. The iPad Pro also does a better job of handling glare, and that's not even accounting for the Nano-Texture option available on higher-end iPad Pro configurations.

The iPad Pro and Tab S9 Ultra have similarly thin profiles, with the iPad Pro's new design making it just a hint thinner than Samsung's offering, but the difference feels negligible. The Tab S9 Ultra maxes out at 1TB of built-in storage while the iPad Pro goes up to 2TB, but Samsung includes a microSD slot that makes it simple to pop in extra storage at a much lower cost than boosting the integrated storage on an iPad Pro.

Apple removed the Ultra Wide camera in the latest iPad Pro, leaving only the standard Wide camera for capturing video content. Samsung includes both styles of camera on the Tab S9 Ultra, but we don't think most people should be using their iPads for capturing video anyway.

Where Apple really sets itself apart on the hardware side with iPad Pro is the redesigned Magic Keyboard, which offers a premium feel, solid typing performance, an excellent trackpad, and an additional USB-C port for charging the iPad. Samsung's first-party keyboard accessory for the Tab S9 Ultra looks and feels good, and the typing experience is pleasant, but the trackpad is simply awful.

One note in favor of Samsung's keyboard is that it can be separated into two pieces, leaving the back cover attached to the tablet for protection. While Apple has a keyboard design like this for cheaper iPads, the Magic Keyboard can not be removed from the iPad Pro without also removing the back cover.

Alongside the new iPad Pro, Apple introduced a new Apple Pencil Pro with more advanced capabilities including new gestures and Find My support, but Samsung has the S Pen that also offers excellent integration with Android. Significantly for stylus adoption, the S Pen is included in the box with the Tab S9 Ultra, while the Apple Pencil Pro is an extra $129 purchase for iPad Pro owners.

As with most purchasing decisions for Apple and Android, it's likely to come down to platform preference. If you're already thoroughly invested in the Apple ecosystem, you're probably going to want to go with the iPad Pro to reap all of the benefits that come with Apple's tight integration. But if you're looking for something a bit different, Samsung's Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra offers some great features and a huge display at a price that well undercuts the iPad Pro.

Would you consider picking up a Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra, or is the iPad Pro a better fit for your needs? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Apple's M4 iPad Pro vs. Samsung's Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra
Price for the tablets?!

Reactions: The Apple Bitch

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Ok but the Samsung is brighter as well. So what difference does tandem make?

The article is a bit misleading. It can only briefly boost the brightness when there’s a small light spot in HDR to 1750 nits in select scenarios. The SDR peak brightness is actually only around 600 vs. 1000 on the iPad and HDR peak brightness is only 950 vs. 1600 on the iPad.

The point of the tandem OLED is to sustain higher brightness for longer without worrying about excessive power consumption or burn-in.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Oh my god I'm having to set up 16 Samsung Galaxy tabs at work for a project and I don't think I could use an Android (or I guess specifically Samsung) because man I hate today. Getting anything done on those tablets is like pulling teeth. I've seen "Something went wrong." way too many times.

Exactly. That’s what always gets lost in these comparisons. For all my complaining of Apple’s software, at least it essentially always does what it says it will. They get a lot of fundamentals right that everyone takes for granted until you have to deal with something else.

Danilamak

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
One of The biggest killer features of Android is a full featured web browser, I was struggled to use Figma on iPad, and blown away when check it on Samsung S22 dex mode

But yeah, Android’s software is less friendly than Apple’s, but Apple do everything to wash out this difference

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
I traded my 11-inch M2 iPad Pro for the Tab S9 Ultra, and wow, it's a blessing! 📱✨ It works seamlessly with my S24 Ultra. I love how it came with the pen, as I was able to sign some PDF documents the other day. 🖊️📝 Transferring photos and videos with Quick Share is a breeze. 💨 I can even make calls and send texts from the Tab. 📲📞 I get about 13 hours of screen time. 🔋💪 The screen aspect ratio is amazing! 😍 The black bars on the top and bottom are drastically slimmer than the iPad's, which is great for watching movies. 🎥🍿 My free Android Play Pass unlocked so many awesome games for free that I don't think are available for the iPad. 🎮🆓 Plus, the Android game selection is just so vast and amazing. 🤩 #Samsung #TabS9Ultra #Android #TechLove

Quick edit - also samsung does I think 30% military discount so I saved about $300 😎

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
it probably doesn’t matter to each device’s intended audience, but the Samsung tablet lags considerably in pure processing power behind the iPad shown here. It can’t beat the M2, let alone the M4. If you’re currently satisfied with the Apple ecosystem there isn’t anything to see here just yet.

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
I've never even seen a Galaxy tablet, or any non-iPad tablet for that matter other than a Microsoft Surface or Kindle fire.

I see iPads all day long. I know android users with an iPad.

This is true. I think a lot of that comes down to apps being better optimized for iPad than Galaxy Tabs. This is changing but the perception is still out there so people interested in the Galaxy Tabs end up moving on after a few Google searches. Since they sell in fewer numbers developers aren't motivated to optimize their apps creating a circular catch 22. Hopefully there will be better app parity in the future.
I also wish Samsung would offer a different aspect ratio. I have Tab S7 and it's great for media consumption but feels too narrow for portrait use. Especially when drawing. On the flip side 4:3 is awful for media consumption. I recently took a flight with a friend who had an iPad pro. He commented that watching movies with that aspect made video so small his iPhone Pro Max would probably have been the better choice.

I honestly wish Samsung & Apple would offer an aspect ratio between the two for a more balanced experience. I use my Galaxy for work sometimes as apps like Microsoft Office is great on the platform but truthfully I mainly use it for games and movies. Laptops still have enough advantages where I can't justify using anything else exclusively for work. Tablets of any brand just require jumping through too many one size fits all hoops to be taken seriously by most. I know they work with some people's work flow but that's the problem. Either your work flow aligns exactly with what they offer or you're out of luck.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Considering the Samsung is 1 year old shows how the iPad was falling behind.
True but they definitely made up for that with the M4.

OLED display, lighter, improved pencil and Magic Keyboard, finally the camera in the right position, and while not utilised to its full potential, the M4 is much more powerful than the Snapdragon 8 gen 2. (Eg for games )

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I really like the Samsung tablets, I feel like they have a lot to offer in terms of versatility. In a vacuum, I'd pick one of those up over an iPad any day of the week.
That’s hilarious.
Yes because majority of the people here refuse to acknowledge other companies without 💩‘ng all over them.
Oh we acknowledge them and realize they are 💩

The only tablets worth mentioning are iPads and surfaces. Anything else is a waste of time lol.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actively use an android tablet in my undergrad or law school days. Only time I see them is when they are using the cheap Ones from Walmart that you give the kids (android excels because it’s cheap not better) or those cheap tablets they use in stores lmao.
it probably doesn’t matter to each device’s intended audience, but the Samsung tablet lags considerably in pure processing power behind the iPad shown here. It can’t beat the M2, let alone the M4. If you’re currently satisfied with the Apple ecosystem there isn’t anything to see here just yet.

Android tablets have been around for over a decade. They will never catch up to iPad for productivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.