Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Jesus that is seriously creepy… Like reading that made me feel genuine discontent and anguish and I’m not even a citizen of that country, thank God. It’s nothing personal against people of Chinese ethnicity, of course. I’ve been fortunate to know many over my lifetime and find the language, culture and history of that part of the world to be endlessly fascinating and impressive. Which is why it’s such a shame to see their government has devolved into such draconian authoritarianism. Despite our flaws and imperfections - of which we have no short supply (especially in recent years) - reminders like these every so often are good for appreciating the value of being a US citizen.

Apropos of what I mentioned above, this is probably for the best. Maybe not for Apple’s bottom line but definitely for the users of their upcoming AI features.
Wishing you the best that it’ll stay this way after this November! 🙈

Reactions: FineWoven

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
No. AI is treated as a strategic weapon in China whether they admit or not. They know how powerful AI is. The rumour of replacing news reporters with AI says it all. The moment they sense someone developing their own AI I’m confident he/she will be warned or even jailed for doing so. It’s called an oppressive regime for a reason.
Chinese government has already approved over 40 AIs for public use.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Is it possible for an individual to make an AI by themselves? And if they could a did, what would stop them from getting the AI approved by the party?
Chinese law is vague by nature so I don’t know. But I know there are no shortage of talented young lad in China. The obvious first problem I can see to get those approved is how that individual can jump all the hooks before putting their AI into approval process without one of those bigger IT firms contacting him/her and buying it out.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
since i’m in america the eu cannot protect me from apple “intelligence”

but since i bought a 15 plus apple will instead protect me from apple “intelligence”

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Chinese law is vague by nature so I don’t know. But I know there are no shortage of talented young lad in China. The obvious first problem I can see to get those approved is how that individual can jump all the hooks before putting their AI into approval process without one of those bigger IT firms contacting him/her and buying it out.

AI is not something individual can get done. The amount of investment takes to develop a workable AI model is beyond an individual.

It is almost guaranteed that bigger firms will invest

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2024
Apple is scrambling to catch up on AI. So much so they will partnership with Meta and will also sell their soul, again, in China.

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
Might be hard for apple to find a partner in china that's willing to accept the same $0 pricing as chatGPT

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Well, all the US AI companies are providing progressive-culture-approved/prepared answers to all our queries. The control freaky censorship of US tech drives me insane these days.
Look at these people who have the audacity to disagree with you. Left and right alike, a lot of Americans think that everything is fine.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
It's rational and I'm pretty sure EU would prefer the same if they had companies that could do AI. Hence the DMA law.

In China, Huawei Ascend chips already match nVidia, so why give billions away to foreign companies when AI can be done domestically?
As far as I know, the EU has no problem with international tech companies. They have an issue with monopolies and privacy invasive features. But I never heard them shout: the EU first. Or MEGA ;-)

Reactions: d686546s and chfilm

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Chinese government has approved more than 40 AIs so far for public use. How many substantial AIs in the USA are there that are operating for public use?

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
And you seems forgot about history of US surveillance. Do I need to remind you about Edward Snowden?
Oh please. The entire history of the US surveillance state doesn't even hold a candle to what China probably does to its own people in the course of a day.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
Oh please. The entire history of the US surveillance state doesn't even hold a candle to what China probably does to its own people in the course of a day.

Oh please. Your government is listening to phone call made by German Chancellor. You’d fool to think US governments aren’t listening to your call.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
You’d probably be arrested if you said Xi Jinping resembled him though.

No. The most you get is your online profile gets blocked by services provider.

Ultimately, people will need to be responsible for whatever he/she said. It is no different than celebrity get cancelled with non-politically correct speech.

I get what you coming from. In your mind, Xi is bad. You have already made your opinion and you just looking of anything to support your opinion. So first you think Winne the Pooh is banned in China, then when someone shows you it is not the case, you immediately changed your statement. In the end of the day, Xi is bad. So whatever he does is automatically bad.

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Oh please. Your government is listening to phone call made by German Chancellor. You’d fool to think US governments aren’t listening to your call.
I never said they weren’t. In fact this very thing was essentially spelled out for all of us here in America when The Patriot Act was signed into law a couple decades ago and then later confirmed by Snowden.

I would prefer no government spy on me but if one must then at the very least I’d like it to be my own and not another country, much less an adversary like China. That’s why I won’t download that spyware crap TikTok. All the tireless work our intelligence agencies and military do to keep devious Chinese espionage out of ordinary citizens’ lives and then they go and install that nonsense on their phones to just hand over everything about them on a silver platter to Xi and his communist regime.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
I never said they weren’t. In fact this very thing was essentially spelled out for all of us here in America when The Patriot Act was signed into law a couple decades ago and then later confirmed by Snowden.

I would prefer no government spy on me but if one must then at the very least I’d like it to be my own and not another country, much less an adversary like China. That’s why I won’t download that spyware crap TikTok. All the tireless work our intelligence agencies and military do to keep devious Chinese espionage out of ordinary citizens’ lives and then they go and install that nonsense on their phones to just hand over everything about them on a silver platter to Xi and his communist regime.

That’s fine. I have more trust in CCP than United States, as I am living in North America.

If you count China as adversary, then that’s also fine. So don’t be surprised that China treat US as adversary. Overall, it is not China started the conflict, it is preciously the United State with Trump Administration.

If you think banning TikTok is justifiable, then China banning US social media is also justified. Then don’t criticize China’s censorship. If you think TikTok is national security risk, then Facebook, WhatsApp Instagram are all national security risk to China.

If you think China is evil, then United State is just as evil if not.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
No. The most you get is your online profile gets blocked by services provider.

'Your online profile'? What does that mean, you can't use WeChat? A minor inconvenience I'm sure.

Ultimately, people will need to be responsible for whatever he/she said.

So they should expect 'consequences' for criticising the president-for-life / dictator?

It is no different than celebrity get cancelled with non-politically correct speech.

Well, that's stupid too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.