Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I guess a parking ticket is legal trouble. Going back to my original point, apple operates within the law where it does business. Whatever you described above is a parking ticket to apple.

You know you get a parking ticket for parking illegally, right? For, you know, breaking the law telling you where you can and cannot park?

Reactions: maxoakland

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Oh boy you’re proving my point again. -1 ouch. I said most and you’re citing specific examples. Most <= all.
Bud, I'm not going to sit here for hours and go through every Fortune 500 company just to fully disprove your bad faith argument. The fact that I can find examples of punishable violations of law by every one of the ten I looked at says quite enough about the validity of your absolutely laughable theory. I'll allow other members to render their own judgements, as I don't particularly care about yours in light of your complete lack of objectivity and wanton disregard for facts.

I guess a parking ticket is legal trouble.
Yes, minor legal trouble.

Going back to my original point, apple operates within the law where it does business. Whatever you described above is a parking ticket to apple.
Yup. Well, except when they don't.

apple operates within the law where it does business.
"Apple didn't do it."

Whatever you described above is a parking ticket to apple.
"And if they did it, it's not a big deal."

Your arguments are beyond predictable at this point.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Seriously? Now you want to weasel word your way through this? Fine,
Because the point isn’t coming across. So some granularity has to be put forth.
A non-zero number of CEOs participate in unethical and unlawful business practices, with increasing probability of breaching the law relative to the size of the business. Better?
Sure. Not that it has anything to do with apple following local laws.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You know you get a parking ticket for parking illegally, right? For, you know, breaking the law telling you where you can and cannot park?
That’s exactly the point. An honest law abiding person can get a parking ticket. So are they now a scofflaw with legal trouble? And how does that scale up to a company the size of apple?

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Sure. Not that it has anything to do with apple following local laws.

Law is law.

So are they now a scofflaw with legal trouble?

Technically, yes. Since you wanted to stretch this analogy that far.

And how does that scale up to a company the size of apple?

Parking illegally is parking illegally. Just like monopolization is monopolization. Nobody should get special treatment under the law.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
A $2 billion fine is more than the equivalent of a parking ticket.
Unless you consider $2000 an normal parking ticket.
Did they pay. Or are they appealing? In the US you can be charged with something and then the court finds you innocent.
They have been found guilty of violating antitrust law. It‘s not a mere charge - it’s a decision resulting from an investigation that began in 2020 and in which Apple were allowed to “defend” themselves.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Law is law.

Technically, yes. Since you wanted to stretch this analogy that far.

Parking illegally is parking illegally. Just like monopolization is monopolization. Nobody should get special treatment under the law.
That’s the point that even the most law abiding citizen can get fined and wind up in “legal trouble” and be a “scofflaw” even unintentionally. That scales up to corporate America.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A $2 billion fine is more than the equivalent of a parking ticket.
Unless you consider $2000 an normal parking ticket.

They have been found guilty of violating antitrust law. It‘s not a mere charge - it’s a decision resulting from an investigation that began in 2020 and in which Apple were allowed to “defend” themselves.
2 billion to apple is pocket change. But that’s not the point. See my response above.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
That’s the point that even the most law abiding citizen can get fined and wind up in “legal trouble” and be a “scofflaw” even unintentionally. That scales up to corporate America.
The difference of course being that someone could reasonably accidentally park somewhere they didn’t realize they weren’t allowed to and find themselves with a ticket. And while you’ve finally arrived at line 5 of your repetitive argument, “if Apple did it, then they didn’t mean to,” back in the real world Apple did not in fact accidentally collude and conspire with publishers to raise the price of e-books.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppliedMicro

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
So what you're now saying is that Apple is as silly and quirky as your average Joe or Jane?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The difference of course being that someone could reasonably accidentally park somewhere they didn’t realize they weren’t allowed to and find themselves with a ticket. And while you’ve finally arrived at line 5 of your repetitive argument, “if Apple did it, then they didn’t mean to,” back in the real world Apple did not in fact accidentally collude and conspire with publishers to raise the price of e-books.
And apple (or any other company) could do something as well they believed was fully within local jurisdictions but turned out not to.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So what you're now saying is that Apple is as silly and quirky as your average Joe or Jane?
Companies can do what they believe are legal transactions that turn out not to be. But yeah apple can be as silly about average Jane or Joe.

There, did the stock price change, tims compensation, retail volume etc. this conversation only satisfies all participants who want to be right on an anonymous Internet forum.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
And apple (or any other company) could do something as well they believed was fully within local jurisdictions but turned out not to.
Any corporate lawyer, especially a massive team (and presumably a highly talented one at that) that Apple would employ would be able to tell executive leadership that such a scheme does not comport with the Sherman Antitrust Act. It's not exactly a complex piece of legislation. Here's actual text of sections 1 and 2.

Sec. 1. Every contract, combination in the form of trust or other- wise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is hereby declared to be illegal. Every person who shall make any such contract or engage in any such combination or conspiracy, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and, on conviction thereof, shall be punished by fine not exceeding five thousand dollars, or by imprisonment not exceeding one year, or by both said punishments, at the discretion of the court.

Sec. 2. Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and, on conviction thereof; shall be punished by fine not exceeding five thousand dollars, or by imprisonment not exceeding one year, or by both said punishments, in the discretion of the court.

And this appears to be news to you, but being found guilty of breaking the law because you believed you could skirt it or get away with something does not magically mean you didn't break the law. Though I concede that in your made-up world, this may be the case. Fortunately, the rest of us do not live there.

this conversation only satisfies all participants who want to be right on an anonymous Internet forum.
This is both hilarious and wildly hypocritical considering the fact that you ignore plain facts, create your own definitions for words, and twist yourself into a pretzel to maintain this fantasy in your head and claim that you're right and Apple always follows the laws of where they operate. Much to your apparent dismay, whether or not Apple broke the law isn't a matter of opinion. It's a fact and your claim has been proven utterly and verifiably false with finalized court cases. You accomplish nothing by arguing otherwise and only make yourself appear entirely unreasonable and without the ability to argue in good faith or recognize that you will not always be right. The ability to admit when you're wrong is a strength, not a character flaw. Of course, that ability is also at odds with a "want to be right on an anonymous Internet forum."

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Any corporate lawyer, especially a massive team (and presumably a highly talented one at that) that Apple would employ would be able to tell executive leadership that such a scheme does not comport with the Sherman Antitrust Act. It's not exactly a complex piece of legislation. Here's actual text of sections 1 and 2.
Very nice that you googled this legislation, but it has nothing to do with my earlier comment. If you believe apple got bad advice then they overpaid on their yearly 1b legal fees.
[…] snipped for brevity

And this appears to be news to you, but being found guilty of breaking the law because you believed you could skirt it or get away with something does not magically mean you didn't break the law. Though I concede that in your made-up world, this may be the case. Fortunately, the rest of us do not live there.
It appear to be news to you that a company could be found for a violation even when following all local laws.
This is both hilarious and wildly hypocritical considering the fact that you ignore plain facts, create your own definitions for words, and twist yourself into a pretzel to maintain this fantasy in your head and claim that you're right and Apple always follows the laws of where they operate. Much to your apparent dismay, whether or not Apple broke the law isn't a matter of opinion. It's a fact and your claim has been proven utterly and verifiably false with finalized court cases. You accomplish nothing by arguing otherwise and only make yourself appear entirely unreasonable and without the ability to argue in good faith or recognize that you will not always be right. The ability to admit when you're wrong is a strength, not a character flaw. Of course, that ability is also at odds with a "want to be right on an anonymous Internet forum."
It is pretty funny the hoops and cognitive dissonance that posters go through to try and convict apple in an anonymous online forum. These posts (including the above) aren’t worth the cost of the bits used to transmit them to the server.

When there is a disagreement in principle it’s because of bad faith. Way too funny.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
It is pretty funny the hoops and cognitive dissonance that posters go through to try and convict apple in an anonymous online forum. These posts (including the above) aren’t worth the cost of the bits used to transmit them to the server.

We didn't convict Apple, various courts did. Feel free to check out the previously provided sources.

I take it that the rest of your comment means that you are finding your position less and less defensible, but would rather not admit that someone else might have a point. Otherwise, you would be arguing your position, not the other posters.

Companies can do what they believe are legal transactions that turn out not to be. But yeah apple can be as silly about average Jane or Joe.

People park in places they can't legally all the time, it's trivial to do that. I live in LA, NO PARKING signs are a language in and of themselves here.

Nobody is accidentally monopolizing software distribution, that's something that you have to make an active effort to do. Like parking somewhere you know you cannot.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It appear to be news to you that a company could be found for a violation even when following all local laws.
Let's just go ahead take that claim at face value so as to avoid having to listen to even more absurd arguments. Is that what happened to Apple? They were following U.S. law when they committed acts that were found to have violated the Sherman Antitrust Act??

It is pretty funny the hoops and cognitive dissonance that posters go through
I can only assume that you must be looking in the mirror here.

to try and convict apple
Actually, the court did that. Some of us are just pointing out that fact and for some inexplicable reason you cannot cope with that fact.

When there is a disagreement in principle it’s because of bad faith. Way too funny.
When you reject plain facts and create your own definitions for words, yes that is in fact arguing in bad faith.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Let's just go ahead take that claim at face value so as to avoid having to listen to even more absurd arguments. Is that what happened to Apple? They were following U.S. law when they committed acts that were found to have violated the Sherman Antitrust Act??
It can’t be proven either way.
I can only assume that you must be looking in the mirror here.
You know what happens when you assume…
Actually, the court did that. Some of us are just pointing out that fact and for some inexplicable reason you cannot cope with that fact.
Some can’t cope with that it’s a possibility that a company could believe they are following local laws….
When you reject plain facts and create your own definitions for words, yes that is in fact arguing in bad faith.
You are making assumptions in this conversation you can’t possibly prove. OJ was found innocent, does that mean he didn’t commit the crime?

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
You are making assumptions in this conversation you can’t possibly prove. OJ was found innocent, does that mean he didn’t commit the crime?
Of course someone can be found innocent of a crime they actually committed and vice-versa. Is that what happened with Apple? Let's find out, shall we...

It can’t be proven either way.
"On the day of the launch, Jobs was asked by a reporter why people would pay $14.99 for a book in the iBookstore when they could purchase it for $9.99 from Amazon. In response Jobs stated that 'The price will be the same... publishers are actually withholding their books from Amazon because they are not happy.' By stating this, Jobs acknowledged his understanding that the publishers would raise e-book prices and that Apple would not have to face any competition from Amazon on price."

There it is in black and white.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Of course someone can be found innocent of a crime they actually committed and vice-versa. Is that what happened with Apple? Let's find out, shall we...

"On the day of the launch, Jobs was asked by a reporter why people would pay $14.99 for a book in the iBookstore when they could purchase it for $9.99 from Amazon. In response Jobs stated that 'The price will be the same... publishers are actually withholding their books from Amazon because they are not happy.' By stating this, Jobs acknowledged his understanding that the publishers would raise e-book prices and that Apple would not have to face any competition from Amazon on price."

There it is in black and white.
Okay. I’ll give you the above going back to 2012 is a firm possibility of a definite maybe reported by a third party.

The burden of proof is extremely low around here.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Okay. I’ll give you the above going back to 2012 is a firm possibility of a definite maybe reported by a third party.

The burden of proof is extremely low around here.
That's the court's bar for burden of proof, as it comes from the trial itself. Are you saying the Federal Court's bar was so low that they allowed admission of manufactured evidence? Or perhaps that Apple's lawyers were so incompetent that they didn't have the "manufactured" Jobs statement disallowed as evidence?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's the court's bar for burden of proof, as it comes from the trial itself. Are you saying the Federal Court's bar was so low that they allowed admission of manufactured evidence? Or perhaps that Apple's lawyers were so incompetent that they didn't have the "manufactured" Jobs statement disallowed as evidence?
That still doesn’t mean that apple doesn’t abide by the laws in the locale it operates from. You just brought us full circle back to that basic premise.

• Haha
Reactions: vipergts2207
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.