Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Guilty until proven innocent I suppose. Nice necro from 2012 but it doesn’t mitigate my comment that apple follows the laws in the locales it does business with.
Guilty until proven innocent? At least two of those three examples have been settled in a court of law, proving your statement false as a matter of fact. That’s an impressive fantasy world you’ve imagined for yourself where Apple never does any wrong and has never broken any law.

Reactions: maxoakland

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Guilty until proven innocent? At least two of those three examples have been settled in a court of law,
Yes all actions are settled in a court of law. Next up, the sky is blue.
proving your statement false as a matter of fact.
No it doesn’t.
That’s an impressive fantasy world you’ve imagined for yourself where Apple never does any wrong and has never broken any law.
The above is a broad sweeping logical fallacy.

• Haha

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Yes all actions are settled in a court of law. Next up, the sky is blue.

Fascinating that you say this while also saying:

Apple follows the laws of the locale they do business in.

Considering that:

It seems you have no problem simply making things up as you go, even to the point of making conflicting statements. Not all that surprising though considering how acceptable that seems to be these days.

No it doesn’t.

I guess in your mind you’re entitled to not only your own opinions but your own facts as well.

The above is a broad sweeping logical fallacy.

Pointing out your non-sensical and false statements is not a logical fallacy, much as you may wish it to be.

Last edited:

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
In the US you can be charged with something and then the court finds you innocent
Apple haven’t been merely “charged”.
They - to borrow the parlance - have been convicted.

They have been found guilty of violating antitrust law - contrary to your claim that…
Apple follows the laws of the locale they do business in.

May that ruling ultimately be overturned? Possibly. But for the time being, it certainly contradicts your claim.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple haven’t been merely “charged”.
They - to borrow the parlance - have been convicted.

They have been found guilty of violating antitrust law - contrary to your claim that…

May that ruling ultimately be overturned? Possibly. But for the time being, it certainly contradicts your claim.
Again, following the laws and convicting something especially when you believe you are following the laws are two different things.

Apple has been charged and let me know when they have to pay up.

• Disagree

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Apple has been charged and let me know when they have to pay up.

This is getting ridiculous. You maintain that Apple has not faced legal trouble, evidence to the contrary has been brought to you.

You claim that the legal trouble did not result in anything, so the conviction is brought to you. Apple was found guilty of violating antitrust law.

Now you've moved the goalpost to "well, they haven't been punished yet." That's irrelevant - the fact of the matter is that they have been found in violation of the law.

How far are you going to move the goalposts? "Well, Tim hasn't been put to death yet, so clearly it's not Apple's Problem"?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is getting ridiculous. You maintain that Apple has not faced legal trouble, evidence to the contrary has been brought to you.
What is ridiculous are people not reading the posts. Please show me where I specifically said apple has not faced legal trouble.
You claim that the legal trouble did not result in anything, so the conviction is brought to you. Apple was found guilty of violating antitrust law.
And what was the outcome?
Now you've moved the goalpost to "well, they haven't been punished yet." That's irrelevant - the fact of the matter is that they have been found in violation of the law.
The goalpost deserved to be moved.
How far are you going to move the goalposts? "Well, Tim hasn't been put to death yet, so clearly it's not Apple's Problem"?
Until they pay up.

• Disagree

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
And what was the outcome?
Well in the e-books case for instance, "in March 2016, the Supreme Court of the United States declined to hear Apple's appeal that it conspired to e-book price fixing therefore the previous court decision stands, which means Apple must pay $450 million."

You ask, I deliver;
And there it is in black and white. Don't worry though, he'll either move the goal posts yet again or make up some more falsehoods. He's shown time after time that he will refuse to argue in good faith. Essentially his arguments follow a pattern:

1. Apple didn't do it.
2. And if Apple did, it wasn't that bad.
3. And if it was, that's not a big deal.
4. And if it is, that's not Apple's fault.
5. And if it was, Apple didn't mean it.
6. And if Apple did, they deserved it.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well in the e-books case for instance, "in March 2016, the Supreme Court of the United States declined to hear Apple's appeal that it conspired to e-book price fixing therefore the previous court decision stands, which means Apple must pay $450 million."

And there it is in black and white. Don't worry though, he'll either move the goal posts yet again or make up some more falsehoods. He's shown time after time that he will refuse to argue in good faith. Essentially his arguments boil down to:

Apple didn't do it.
And if Apple did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not Apple's fault.
And if it was, Apple didn't mean it.
And if Apple did, they deserved it.
Semantics and word games. Being assessed a fine is not legal trouble. No matter what apple operates within the laws of the locales it does business in.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Semantics and word games. Being assessed a fine is not legal trouble. No matter what apple operates within the laws of the locales it does business in.
"So far they haven’t. So there is that." Here you start at line 1 of your typical argument.

"Please show me where I specifically said apple has not faced legal trouble." This is line 2.

"And what was the outcome?" Up to line 3 now.

"The goalpost deserved to be moved." Now we're at line 4.

I'm sure you'll move to lines 5 and 6 before long, probably with some comment about how it's Apple's property and they should be able to do what they want with it.

We have different definitions of what legal trouble is. That is a fine that is being appealed. That is not a common definition of legal trouble.
Being sued and losing that legal battle, resulting in a nearly half a billion-dollar loss for violating the law, would certainly be a common definition of "legal trouble." But I guess this is again where you apply your own definitions/facts and move goal posts. Nothing new nor surprising here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProbablyDylan

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
"So far they haven’t. So there is that." Here you start at line 1 of your typical argument.

"Please show me where I specifically said apple has not faced legal trouble." This is line 2.

"And what was the outcome?" Up to line 3 now.

"The goalpost deserved to be moved." Now we're at line 4.

I'm sure you'll move to lines 5 and 6 before long, probably with some comment about how it's Apple's property and they should be able to do what they want with it.

Being sued and losing that legal battle, resulting in a nearly half a billion-dollar loss for violating the law, would certainly be a common definition of "legal trouble." But I guess this is again where you apply your own definitions/facts and move goal posts. Nothing new nor surprising here.
I guess you have your own definition of “legal trouble”. I guess some would call a jaywalking ticket legal trouble.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
In what world is being convicted of a crime not legal trouble???
It depends on if it’s criminal or civil. At any rate large corporations an unless your Enron and others do business according to the laws. Big companies always have something going on but that doesn’t mean they have legal trouble as others claim.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
It depends on if it’s criminal or civil. At any rate large corporations an unless your Enron and others do business according to the laws. Big companies always have something going on but that doesn’t mean they have legal trouble as others claim.

Except that we have provided evidence in spades that this is objectively untrue. One does not get convicted of a crime by following the law.

If you truly believe that businesses only ever operate within the letter of the law you are either naïve or ignorant. I'm not convinced you are either of these, though.

The fact that when presented with evidence to the contrary you maintain your position betrays your intent.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Except that we have provided evidence in spades that this is objectively untrue. One does not get convicted of a crime by following the law.
Well that does happen.
If you truly believe that businesses only ever operate within the letter of the law you are either naïve or ignorant. I'm not convinced you are either of these, though.
No. I’m convinced most Fortune 500 companies who have honest ceos do operate with the laws of the locale they operate in.
The fact that when presented with evidence to the contrary you maintain your position betrays your intent.
What intent. That apple operates in a lawful fashion and is not in legal trouble?

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
What intent. That apple operates in a lawful fashion and is not in legal trouble?

They objectively are. I'm sure that going to trial against the United States of America, who is bringing charges of violating the Sherman Act, would be considered "legal trouble," even by your apparently very strict definition of the term.

Is this the part where you decide to pick at the definitions of "legal" and "trouble"? Or better yet, argue that, because the case is ongoing, it's not Apple's problem?

This is well past the point of absurdity.

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I guess you have your own definition of “legal trouble”. I guess some would call a jaywalking ticket legal trouble.
That would indeed be minor legal trouble. I guess if you have no sense of proportionality and view everything as black and white that you may conclude that a jaywalking ticket is not in any way legal trouble. That being said, I'm not sure how you reach that same conclusion with regard to a scenario where an entity ends up being found guilty of violating the law by a U.S. District Court, having a U.S. Court of Appeals confirm that decision, having the SCOTUS decline to hear the case, and having to pay out nearly half a billion dollars. Yeah, a jaywalking ticket is definitely a good point of comparison. 🙄😂 You essentially have to ignore all meaning of the phrase "legal trouble" to reach such a conclusion. It seems that by your laughable self-defined metric, perhaps not much short of murder constitutes "legal trouble." This is all plainly another one of your many bad faith arguments.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
No. I’m convinced most Fortune 500 companies who have honest ceos do operate with the laws of the locale they operate in.
Let's look at the top 10 Fortune 500 companies shall we?

Walmart:

Amazon:

Apple:
Already well-covered here.

UHC:

Berkshire-Hathaway:

CVS:

Alphabet:

McKesson:

Cencora:

That's 0 for 10, mate. Oof.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Let's look at the top 10 Fortune 500 companies shall we?

Walmart:

Amazon:

Apple:
Already well-covered here.

UHC:

Berkshire-Hathaway:

CVS:

Alphabet:

McKesson:

Cencora:

That's 0 for 10, mate. Oof.
Oh boy you’re proving my point again. -1 ouch. I said most and you’re citing specific examples. Most <= all.

• Haha

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That would indeed be minor legal trouble. I guess if you have no sense of proportionality and view everything as black and white that you may conclude that a jaywalking ticket is not in any way legal trouble. That being said, I'm not sure how you reach that same conclusion with regard to a scenario where an entity ends up being found guilty of violating the law by a U.S. District Court, having a U.S. Court of Appeals confirm that decision, having the SCOTUS decline to hear the case, and having to pay out nearly half a billion dollars. Yeah, a jaywalking ticket is definitely a good point of comparison. 🙄😂 You essentially have to ignore all meaning of the phrase "legal trouble" to reach such a conclusion. It seems that by your laughable self-defined metric, perhaps not much short of murder constitutes "legal trouble." This is all plainly another one of your many bad faith arguments.
I guess a parking ticket is legal trouble. Going back to my original point, apple operates within the law where it does business. Whatever you described above is a parking ticket to apple.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Oh boy you’re proving my point again. -1 ouch. I said most and you’re citing specific examples. Most <= all.

Seriously? Now you want to weasel word your way through this? Fine,

A non-zero number of CEOs participate in unethical and unlawful business practices, with increasing probability of breaching the law relative to the size of the business. Better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.