The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Visiting in hospital

Just curious about your plans for visitors during the hospital stay?

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
20+ Similar Discussions Found
121 Comments
Oldest First
J
Justlive

Nope. Maybe one close friend will

Come since she works in the same building.

We’re not invinting her,but if she will ask if she can come,we will say yes

C
CharleeAk
@Justlive,

Your only there 24 hours, rest and visit the baby yourself. You’ve waited so long:)

m
mrsmurphyxoxo
@CharleeAk,

At my hospital they make us stay two days for vaginal births and three days for c-sections. I didn't realize hospitals have different stay policy's. I thought it was standard across the board. :) 

M
MommaBeartoBen
@mrsmurphyxoxo,

I work in the Admitting department of our regional hospital, so our dept admits and discharges everyone in our system. Our hospital discharges Moms and babies whenever theyre ready, which is normally two nights for a first time mom, and one night for an experienced mom. However there have been multiple situations where the midwife or OBGYN will discharge 2-3 hours after birth, which I think is insane. 

B.mama

I plan to just have immediate family visit in hospital, unless a friend reaches out and asks. But I guess it will depend on how my delivery goes, how I feel, how the baby is, etc. I also plan to have a few hours at least with just my husband, the baby, and I so we can have that special time. And I want the lactation consultant to come work with me before any visitors come as well.

Ideally hoping to have friends and extended family visit at least a few weeks after coming home.

cccsim
@B.mama,

just immediate family

mrsb28
@B.mama,

Nope. Just me and hubby and doula! 
people can visit when I come home! 

HolisticMomof2

For me I am giving birth in my In laws tub(we live right next door on there property in a small cassida) so after the labor and birthing. Once I feel ready for people to come in my In laws will probably be the first to meet the baby and then once my parents get the chance they will come over and meet the baby.

Both will probably just be brief, then will get to be on my own with my hubby.

Y
Yunagirl1
@HolisticMomof2,

You did not have medical people?  That's wonderful 😊

HolisticMomof2
@Yunagirl1,

wow this comment was such a long time ago��. I had a midwife and her assistant with me during my labor with my son.

Just had my second actually, she was also a homebirth in my own home with the same midwife different assistant

GingerbreadBakes

None apart from my husband and 2 children.

rebeccamh18

No one will be in the room during delivery except me and my husband. Immediate family is welcome after we've had our time skin-to-skin to say hello, but then we'll want a break. Probably not a lot of visitors will come to the actual hospital - will save for home visits once we've made it back to the house.

FollowTheYellowBrickRoad

Definitely my husband and son every day. I’m sure my in-laws will want to visit, but hopefully they will be respectful and not stay long when they do. I already plan on telling them they need to wait until after the first day though. Only visitors I want on the day of the birth are our little family so my son can meet his brother ��. Otherwise I don’t expect many other visitors. My parents and sister will be coming once we’re home (since they have to fly in).

ziggythezygote

Close family. Anyone else will stop by once we get home... One word of advice, have a signal you can give to your partner to help politely wrap up visits. We had one family member stay way too long and I was absolutely exhausted. I had even said I'm pretty tired but no one really paid attention. Hubby was also very tired so we decided to have a signal for future visits.

k
keiki18
@ziggythezygote,

Good tip!

r
rosesofroses
@ziggythezygote,
I had to help my friend with this. Our other friend was just staying and staying and then I was like ok we just need to head out! A visit should be 20-30 minutes max!
k
keiki18

We haven't set guidelines about that other than we told our families we don't want anyone waiting in the waiting room while I am in labor. I don't want to feel rushed afterwards to see people. I want some time to recover and bond with the baby before having guests in.

Show 3 Previous Comments
k
keiki18
@Jessmpeters,

Exactly. That's an important time for you, the baby, and your husband! I am glad they respected your wishes and came back later.

mumsterr

Nobody is allowed to visit and if I decide to accept a few at the time like I did when I had my daughter it won’t be until at least 24 hours after we are settled and bonded. My main reason behind allowing visitors last minute was because I didn’t want to be bugged once we got home lol

1sbaby
@mumsterr,

Awesome!! I totally agree!!

JessCastP
@mumsterr,
S
SBinHB

I actually prefer people visiting day 2 in the hospital rather than dropping by the house cause the visits are more regulated. That way once we get home we can just relax and rest up.

LKK1986
@SBinHB,

same. We usually tell most people to visit in the hospital, that way when we’re home it’s just “us” and the visits end up being a lot shorter in the hospital versus at home.

u
userdeletedalias83593336
@LKK1986,
Sorry, this content has been deleted