The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Things They Don’t Talk About -Mom Edition

Give me all the things you didn’t expect to do/happen when you became a mom. All the things no one talks about!!

Here’s mine:

1. I never knew my new hair style would be “up” all the time because of the constant hair pulling!!!

2. Omg how much can a child’s nose run?! It is like never ending snot!

3. How much room car seats take up in a vehicle and how annoying/difficult they can be at times to get in and out of.

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
20+ Similar Discussions Found
125 Comments
Oldest First
y
yikestoddlermom

1. Vehicle! We are just making peace with the fact that we have to get an SUV and it’s a bit of mourning for us because we both love our Gulia sooo much! It’s barely feasible with an infant seat. It’s just laughable for a convertible seat lol

2 . Snot! Sucking out snot is by far the worst! Way worse than any poop blowout!

3. Disinterest in toys! At least to this point, LO is more interested in practicing her gross mother skills (crawling, standing up, first steps) and not that interested in toys.

Show 5 Previous Comments
y
yikestoddlermom
@ElleJayLe,

we call this game mommmy/daddy rollercoaster, essentially it’s tossing her around, it’s a great arm and a a workout lol

M
MamaJuly21

That my life would revolve around her sleep!

Show 7 Previous Comments
BeachMama808
@MamaJuly21,

��

s
seomama

Omg I’m dying at every response on this thread. Yes to it all!!!!!!

l
lano122

Snot and leftovers on your shirt. Having to carry 10 million things. Can’t use the passenger seat in front cause the car seat won’t fit in the back then. A whole mission to go to any store/ appointment.

Show 3 Previous Comments
j
jbrown1113
@kaevans,

yeah mine won't fit in my middle seat. and I can fit in the passenger side but not my hubs so now when we travel no driving for mommy yay

C
Cheesethatisnotyours

How much time in the day is spent nursing, preparing solids, feeding solids, cleaning up the highchair after meals, sweeping over and over because baby treats all floor food like an all-you-can-eat buffet. That and how long it takes and how much stuff you have to bring to leave the house.

Show 3 Previous Comments
ElleJayLe
@Cheesethatisnotyours,

100% yes!! the amount of time my goodness

ijustcantthinkofagoodsn

1 All the head bumps. I had no idea babies hit their heads so much

2 Anxiety. I should’ve thought of it because I had anxiety disorders prior, but I never thought of how anxious I’d be about her well-being.

3 Sleep deprivation for almost a year now. I thought it would be a few weeks. �� Joke is on me!

4 That I’d turn into the biggest softie ever. My eyes literally well up just talking about how cute she is. I can hardly ever be mean to anyone anymore UNLESS it’s to protect her. Then I become like a wild animal with no filter lol.

5 The food… I had no idea I’d spend 90% of my time preparing, feeding, and cleaning up food once she started eating solids. We spend so much time in the kitchen & dining room. ��

Show 4 Previous Comments
jeskak
@ijustcantthinkofagoodsn,

oh man, the tears. I’ve never been the type to cry much less in front of people, but after having kids…forget it. Went to my son’s high school orientation…tears walking through the school doors. Go into a store like Hobby Lobby and read the framed art with the inspirational says…tears thinking about my kids. Passed a prom dress store in the mall…tears thinking about my 1 yo picking out her dress in years to come. Scrolling through Pinterest and see a motherhood quote…tears start rolling. First birthday party once all the decorations were complete…a mess of tears.

C
CarryOn21

- How exhausting it is to just BE a mom. Even when baby is sleeping through the night. I thought once I was getting a reasonable amount of sleep at night I’d be ok!

- another one for the food. I just need someone to give me a “what to feed baby today” list that only includes things that take 5 mins or less to make. And then goes grocery shopping for me and replaces the things when they go bad in the fridge lol.

- how difficult it can be to figure out a rhythm with your partner. I feel like every time we make a decision we do a dance around who’s done more for the baby recently, who’s burnt out today, who has what going on…it’s really like making a schedule for a job �� and my husband is willing and able to help a lot so that’s not the issue! It’s just always having to consider someone else when making ANY kind of decision.

Show 5 Previous Comments
ElleJayLe
@CarryOn21,

the food one is literally my biggest gripe . pleassssse invent baby chefs universe 

b
boxerwiggles

1. How much my relationship with my husband would change. People always say it does but I just assumed it was because a baby was new or finding a routine or whatever. But even when our kids aren’t the priority (like on a date) our conversation still revolves around them. Our dates have turned into family dates too. We are currently planning to take our older two (4 and 5) to dinner and a movie Friday night.

2. Lack of hygiene!! I showered, blow dried my hair and put make up on every. Single. Day. I do not remember the last time I did all three of those things on the same day.

3. How important schedules would be to me. I have always been a go with the flow person until my first decided that he was only happy following a strict schedule and all of a sudden I find myself struggling that this baby won’t follow one ��

t
thebellyofkelley
@boxerwiggles,

Number 2 for sure!! I always air dry now because I hardly find time for the shower, there's no time left for drying my hair! and make up is only when I'm going out.. so maybe a few times a week. Mascara is solely for church on Sundays 😂 When I think about how I used to get up and get ready every day for work, it just blows my mind now lol. I haven't even been a sahm for a full year yet but it feels like the distant past

n
nycmoments

How much cleanup every meal will be at this stage. Baths 3 times a day anyone?

marie0601
@nycmoments,

yes! The cleanup is ridiculous. I have to change his clothes about 3 times a day and by nighttime he definitely needs a good scrub in the bath lol

M
Momma2Gavin
@marie0601,

Same. I got some shirt bibs from Amazon and they changed my life!

T
TwinBoyMom2021

NAPS. So much to know about wake windows, lengths of naps, naps related to bedtime. Naps RUN MY LIFE. And to spice things up, I have twins!

m
mojohunt
@TwinBoyMom2021,

omg I don’t know how you do it!! You go mama! I often think about what all this would be like x2. Geez!