The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Anyone else notice that all social media/ internet posts focus on the negative aspects of childbirth and postpartum?

It’s very doom and gloom out there. These “supportive” instagram accounts that say …

“It’s ok to feel like a piece of *** human who doesn’t connect with your baby and you feel terrible down below and healing is a ***, you aren’t alone!” geeze i feel like I’m being over prepared for the negative and expecting nothing exciting

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
7 Comments
Oldest First
SharpFam21

Yep!! I think generally people find it easier to share/relate the negative aspects because the positive could be seen as bragging. ����‍♀️

quelyne

Yes social media is sharing more of the negative aspects of birth an postpartum but I think it is good to know all sides of motherhood. because for generations women were dismissed and silenced about stuff like PPD/PPA. It goes undiagnosed and in acknowledged particularly by the older generations. Outlet generation is sick of burying our feelings and want others to learn from their experiences so they don’t have to suffer.

I had a negative/ traumatic birth and a very challenging postpartum with my first. It took me a long time to process and I now realize I was borderline PPD. My birth trauma was avoidable so I do share my story and advice with some moms so they don’t. I wish more people were available for me to talk to during that time. It wasn’t until about a year after my son was born that I found a support group where people share their stories but successes with later births. It is about balance. It is good to know about negative aspects so you can learn and prepare but it is also good to know the positives.

Unfortunately the medical system is very flawed when it come to maternal care and it isn’t one size fits all. Many women and first time moms are dismissed or treated as ignorant and bullied into things they don’t want. It is important to find your voice and be an advocate for yourself. I think knowing all possible outcomes and being educated is a big part of that and being able to speak up.

L
LizzyG11

I’ve been feeling a little depressed about this lately because not only is it social media, but people who are sharing all the negative aspects and saying “oh just wait until…..” I’ve had a rough week with aches and pains and haven’t been feeling as excited and al the negativity with how awful my life will be is making it so much worse.. there has to be positives or people wouldn’t have babies right ����‍♀️

quelyne

Adding to above: I had a positive second birth and postpartum with my second and I share that too. I share the positives of learning to advocate for myself and my birth. The newborn snuggles are amazing and addicting. I loved breastfeeding and bonding over leave. But also returning to work anxiet was hard that final week but the first day back was liberating. I’m shocked how well I handled broken and little sleep in a pandemic with an 18 month old and a newborn but those bonding hormones are incredible but if you have the blue and PPD it is challenging to see those positives.

k
knsmama1

I agree 1000% and in person is almost just as bad with the comments about sleeping and every stage seems to be that way — ohhhh terrible twos and threes and teething etc etc — it’s terrible. My husband and I go out of our way to share with friends all the good and to say the hard times are mostly short and manageable because people were so negative with us the first time. My daughter is 4.5 and there are things that are hard but the good outweighs the bad by an absolutely indescribable amount — people just love to *** and complain , its sad ! And social media is also filled with this stuff, I agree. I have been trying to look away from social media more and more

enjoyingtheadv

I’ve seen both sides. I appreciate the honesty of the “doom and gloom” post. I grew up in a family where you don’t complain or talk about the pain you’re in. I appreciate knowing that there will be a safe space for me to talk with other women if I struggle. I also like knowing ahead what can go wrong so it doesn’t increase my anxiety. I guess I don’t see it as negative since it’s sharing how hard things can be. I have a big family, 11 siblings and my grand mother had 8 kids so 17 first cousins. I’ve seen the good and the bad so I know that it’s different for each pregnancy. Everyone only likes to point out the good things but we don’t speak on the negative aspects so I understand why some people may need social media as an outlet or just want to tell people how hard it can be and that nothing is wrong if it is hard. Try to seek out positive birth stories to help push your social media in that direction. I’m a huge fan of this little girl on TikTok who always says “dip dip” maybe some light hearted post like that will make social media a bit more positive for you.

Bo-Belse

Yes I've noticed this. I feel like the same accounts often undermine dads too. My own experience with my first had both highs and lows.