Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yea, I forgot about the CT. Don’t know if you could charge it at a 350kW station with an adapter though
Yeah TMC hasn't really talked about it much. I see 1 post where someone mentions the CT charging at 800V at 3rd prty stations with the adapter.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Absolutely, and people generally do. I just think people get a bit lost down the Tesla rabbit hole at times recommending them in every EV discussion when they are just one of the many options available now. They used to be the best option a few years ago before the market grew and it’s good we now have so many EV options across most price points. The very entry level is perhaps in need of more options but the affordable to mid range now has plenty from Hyundai, Kia and Ford to join Tesla.
It’s true, Tesla isn’t the only option, a there are different options in Europe vs the US. If someone asks me for an EV recommendation I don’t blindly say Tesla. It depends on many factors: is the buyer looking for real luxury, is charging the first concern, does the buyer need a run-about or real SUV. What range should the vehicle have? Is the buyer looking for a halo EV or a real truck.

Tesla ticks a lot of boxes real handily.
The i5 M60 is a nice looking car, but I wouldn’t compare it to a Model 3 or Model Y as it’s really aimed at the executive market and is becoming a very popular company car, especially over here. BMW do interiors very well and even though they are one of the most popular cars on the road, they still have a good knack of making you feel like you’re driving a unique medium luxury car IMO.
The i5 m60 at $90K is not a mass market car for consumers. It’s a very nice car, very BMW, but I think other brands do EVs better. To me there is no compelling reason to either buy or not buy it. One thing I’ll give BMW is the consistency between their electric an ICE platforms in terms of layout and software.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s true, Tesla isn’t the only option, a there are different options in Europe vs the US. If someone asks me for an EV recommendation I don’t blindly say Tesla. It depends on many factors: is the buyer looking for real luxury, is charging the first concern, does the buyer need a run-about or real SUV. What range should the vehicle have? Is the buyer looking for a halo EV or a real truck.

Tesla ticks a lot of boxes real handily.

The i5 m60 at $90K is not a mass market car for consumers. It’s a very nice car, very BMW, but I think other brands do EVs better. To me there is no compelling reason to either buy or not buy it. One thing I’ll give BMW is the consistency between their electric an ICE platforms in terms of layout and software.

That’s true, we have a lot more choice in regard to EV’s so it’s a bit different in terms of choice, plus Tesla charging is now open to other brands.

The i5 M60 is generally a company car when new, much like the 5 and 3 Series are. They are some of the most common cars on the roads so within a couple of years the BMW executive EV’s will be a common mass market car for consumers. Very few people buy BMW’s brand new except for wealthy retiree’s or people with silly disposable income who don’t mind losing £25k in the first 12 months. Most domestic BMW’s have been through the used car network even if they are a year or two old. It’s the reason you won’t find many residential streets that do not have a BMW on driveways.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That’s true, we have a lot more choice in regard to EV’s so it’s a bit different in terms of choice, plus Tesla charging is now open to other brands.

The i5 M60 is generally a company car when new, much like the 5 and 3 Series are. They are some of the most common cars on the roads so within a couple of years the BMW executive EV’s will be a common mass market car for consumers. Very few people buy BMW’s brand new except for wealthy retiree’s or people with silly disposable income who don’t mind losing £25k in the first 12 months. Most domestic BMW’s have been through the used car network even if they are a year or two old. It’s the reason you won’t find many residential streets that do not have a BMW on driveways.
As far as BMW they are common in my neck of the woods. What is not common is the i5 m60 though. At 90k it is not a mass market car. But the German brands are very common, so common they are appliances at this point, if you want to say such a thing about cars.

I live in the state that has the third most Tesla’s. You can’t shake a stick in any direction without seeing some Teslas. Generous tax incentives, good super charging network and an abundance of stores I guess contribute to that.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
As far as BMW they are common in my neck of the woods. What is not common is the i5 m60 though. At 90k it is not a mass market car. But the German brands are very common, so common they are appliances at this point, if you want to say such a thing about cars.

I live in the state that has the third most Tesla’s. You can’t shake a stick in any direction without seeing some Teslas. Generous tax incentives, good super charging network and an abundance of stores I guess contribute to that.

I don't know how many times on my commute home, I have been in the HOV lane with 3 other TMY's around me (so that makes it 4 TMYs in a row). I think NY is ahead of NJ in total Tesla sales.

Like you. BMW, MB, and many others are everywhere. Long Island is basically a constant car show. Every car that exists in the US, is on this island.

I have 2 Tesla SC within 5 miles of my house (Westbury and Syosset), 5 if I extend that range to 30 miles.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It’s funny how different it can be. Just been on a gruesome 4h13 drive through traffic in Netherlands, Belgium and a little bit of France. Countless KIA and Polestar. BMWs are harder to spot as they compare to normal models as well. Lots of Porsche Taycan as well. But only a handful of Tesla’s.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I was saying the i5 M60 is not common anywhere yet, it’s still a relatively new EV. Tesla model 3’s are popular all over the developed World now, they are fairly affordable new and even more affordable secondhand. The company car industry is also flooding the secondhand market across Europe which was my point about the i5, as that will be more common within a few years. Its entry price will be irrelevant by then once its suffers massive depreciation like all BMW’s and most cars after the first 12 months.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I was saying the i5 M60 is not common anywhere yet, it’s still a relatively new EV. Tesla model 3’s are popular all over the developed World now, they are fairly affordable new and even more affordable secondhand. The company car industry is also flooding the secondhand market across Europe which was my point about the i5, as that will be more common within a few years. Its entry price will be irrelevant by then once its suffers massive depreciation like all BMW’s and most cars after the first 12 months.
Don’t know for sure, but I’m positing the depreciation on the i5 m60 is going to be steep. Like the plaid, it’s for the 10% ers. Is affordable bmw ev an oxymoron?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It’s funny how different it can be. Just been on a gruesome 4h13 drive through traffic in Netherlands, Belgium and a little bit of France. Countless KIA and Polestar. BMWs are harder to spot as they compare to normal models as well. Lots of Porsche Taycan as well. But only a handful of Tesla’s.
Where I drive very few kia and polestar evs. Almost no Porsche taycan. Teslas? you can’t spit in the wind without hitting one.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't know how many times on my commute home, I have been in the HOV lane with 3 other TMY's around me (so that makes it 4 TMYs in a row). I think NY is ahead of NJ in total Tesla sales.

Like you. BMW, MB, and many others are everywhere. Long Island is basically a constant car show. Every car that exists in the US, is on this island.

I have 2 Tesla SC within 5 miles of my house (Westbury and Syosset), 5 if I extend that range to 30 miles.
I couldn’t find any stats of registered Tesla’s in either NY or NJ. There was another article I read that claimed that NJ was 3rd.

Reactions: JT2002TJ

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Don’t know for sure, but I’m positing the depreciation on the i5 m60 is going to be steep. Like the plaid, it’s for the 10% ers. Is affordable bmw ev an oxymoron?

They are affordable secondhand**, that was my point but not saying it again. I’d imagine they are more expensive in the US generally though.

**BMW’s generally, not specifically the i5 M60 as I said in a previous post above (#5733) that it’s a new car and isn’t likely to be affordable to non-company buyers for a couple of years.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
They are affordable secondhand, that was my point but not saying it again. I’d imagine they are more expensive in the US generally though.
No way they are affordable secondhand. The i5 was only released this year. Perhaps in six years time a high mileage one could be classed as affordable secondhand.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
interesting announcement today, good for Rivian:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
interesting announcement today, good for Rivian:
Interesting. Rivian is getting cash. But they still have to move against Tesla who is not standing still either. They have a huge lead, imo, with their vehicle software, AI FSD and what not.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just returned from Yosemite, CA National Park in my EV.
Apprehensive travelling to a remote area of California without L3 chargers.

Yosemite valley now has multiple Rivian L2 chargers for free.

Tesla Superchargers were the ticket into the huge park.

And I got a free lifetime access pass for all National Parks !
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Bye bye range anxiety. I’ll take two. Cash. But my cynical side won’t let me quite believe the above isnt some snake oil.

Also, I expect it to take significantly longer than 2x that 5 minutes once you go to a big enough battery to support a fully safe vehicle around it (all the safety stuff needed to be US street legal).

I wonder what the battery price is, vs. what comes in TM3/Y. I just assume some unobtanium amount…

But it is good that new tech is being produced…

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
There’s been a few articles about these new batteries and the company over here in the UK. I’ll try and dig a couple up. If I remember correctly the gist seemed to be that they think they’re around 3 years away and were talking about using them in sports cars / prestige cars initially. So sounds like they’re going to be expensive but they could be a game changer.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Those lovely Nordic people did a 16 car, 1,600Km (almost a 1,000 miles) EV competition. Interesting top 3 with the winner being a NIO ET5, closely followed by a Polestar 2 LRM, and then a Tesla Model 3 LR.

In my view, with good infrastructure, there really isn't that much difference between the vehicles in the real world. The drivers' understanding and capability have a much bigger influence. Charging curve (something I've mentioned numerous times) is a considerable factor as well, to proceed with your journey quickly.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Also, I expect it to take significantly longer than 2x that 5 minutes once you go to a big enough battery to support a fully safe vehicle around it (all the safety stuff needed to be US street legal).

I wonder what the battery price is, vs. what comes in TM3/Y. I just assume some unobtanium amount…

But it is good that new tech is being produced…
Porsche got some interesting split charging with their new platform. That also helps the system further and make use of existing slower infrastructure where the chargers are limited to only 150kW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.