Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
View attachment 2389729 Went out with the boss to test drive another Y Long range that is basically new, 2024 model with 9K on the odometer. They have a chevy equinox EV as well so we gave it a drive as well. Night and day difference, especially where performance is concerned. The Chevy was not even in close performance wise. The Chevy was way too busy inside as well, this is a personal preference, I can see people liking the multi screens and turbines for air/con. Much more aggressive exterior look for sure. The only non Tesla EV I have ever tried. Certainly felt more like a traditional car inside.
We don’t get the Chevy here, or I don’t see it. But plenty of other EVs that are as fast if not quicker than Tesla’s. Ok plaid aside.

I prefer to have a binnacle in addition to a center screen, and ideally a HUD as well.

Reactions: SalisburySam

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If any US folk want the Long Range 3, it is now eligible for the $7500 credit (or have it applied at point of sale). Making the LR $1000 more than the RWD car.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The Long Range TM3/Y are rocket ships, especially with Acceleration Boost (there are reports of some of the newer LR versions missing the option to buy AB). I like the minimalist interior only because the Tesla UI is so good that you really don't need to interact much (cloud profiles, auto climate control), and really only use the screen to view the visualizations and maps.

I've had 2 Tesla for a year now (the 3 for a year and a half, the Y for a year), my experience has slightly improved every couple of months (regular updates) and significantly improved 2 times a year (Spring and holiday updates). These have been the only vehicles I've owned that I liked from day 1, and like even more as time goes on.

This is the latest update, before the visualizations took up the left 1/4 of the screen, and maps took up the right 3/4. With the FSD package, you could swipe the visualizations over to take up the full screen but lost maps. Now with full screen visualizations you have an overlayed map in the top right corner. They increased the speed font size, added audible, improved auto parking speeds, added the ability to pause the trunk liftgate mid-way through on the screen, and a few other things.

To bar on the right lets you know that you can swipe left (like on the bottom of an iPhone). This was right after the update, I was testing it out, I dropped a pin and had FSD drive me there while I supervised.

img_2035-jpeg.1004210
There was also an update related to best management and the climate control. FWIW.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
True. But it’s hard to beat the new performance model at its price point. Or even the TM3LR with acceleration boost for $2k.

Tesla 3’s and Y’s have gotten very popular due to their price point, but that then makes other brands attractive too for something different. My wife hates the look of the Tesla’s she’s seen, whereas I don’t mind the new model 3. However it was her car to get and she prefer’s German cars and the premium over a Tesla Model Y got a car she preferred. She hasn’t regretted her choice and even less so now there are 4 Tesla’s in our street.

Reactions: I7guy and cyb3rdud3

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
The Long Range TM3/Y are rocket ships, especially with Acceleration Boost (there are reports of some of the newer LR versions missing the option to buy AB). I like the minimalist interior only because the Tesla UI is so good that you really don't need to interact much (cloud profiles, auto climate control), and really only use the screen to view the visualizations and maps.

I've had 2 Tesla for a year now (the 3 for a year and a half, the Y for a year), my experience has slightly improved every couple of months (regular updates) and significantly improved 2 times a year (Spring and holiday updates). These have been the only vehicles I've owned that I liked from day 1, and like even more as time goes on.

This is the latest update, before the visualizations took up the left 1/4 of the screen, and maps took up the right 3/4. With the FSD package, you could swipe the visualizations over to take up the full screen but lost maps. Now with full screen visualizations you have an overlayed map in the top right corner. They increased the speed font size, added audible, improved auto parking speeds, added the ability to pause the trunk liftgate mid-way through on the screen, and a few other things.

To bar on the right lets you know that you can swipe left (like on the bottom of an iPhone). This was right after the update, I was testing it out, I dropped a pin and had FSD drive me there while I supervised.

img_2035-jpeg.1004210

One thing I noticed with the test drive we did of the used 2024 was it did not have FSD and said it needed calibration or something like that. I don't know much about how they work this but thought there was basically 3 options. You buy it outright or you, pay monthly for it or just opt out but the feature is there if you want to pay for it down the road. Is that not true? If the car did not have it or they opted out is there something else that needs to be paid for outside of the monthly fee for it?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
One thing I noticed with the test drive we did of the used 2024 was it did not have FSD and said it needed calibration or something like that. I don't know much about how they work this but thought there was basically 3 options. You buy it outright or you, pay monthly for it or just opt out but the feature is there if you want to pay for it down the road. Is that not true? If the car did not have it or they opted out is there something else that needs to be paid for outside of the monthly fee for it?

New cars, or after camera replacements, need camera calibration. It takes a few hundred miles. You can't use these driver assistance systems until the calibration is complete.

Enhanced Autopilot is no longer available, and FSD Beta (includes navigation on city streets) is out but now called FSD Supervised.

Here are the specs.

1718710040265.png

You can buy FSDs outright (currently $8k) or subscribe monthly for $99 per month.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
New cars, or after camera replacements, need camera calibration. It takes a few hundred miles. You can't use these driver assistance systems until the calibration is complete.

Enhanced Autopilot is no longer available, and FSD Beta (includes navigation on city streets) is out but now called FSD Supervised.

Here are the specs.

View attachment 2389905

You can buy FSDs outright (currently $8k) or subscribe monthly for $99 per month.

So the calibration is done as the car drives? Not something I would have to bring in Tesla and pay to calibrate?

I would be going with the monthly subscription for the FSD, just want to see if there are some additional costs associated with that.

Thanks!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
So the calibration is done as the car drives? Not something I would have to bring in Tesla and pay to calibrate?

I would be going with the monthly subscription for the FSD, just want to see if there are some additional costs associated with that.

Thanks!

Correct. The more roads you drive on with proper painted lines, the faster it is. If you live in an area where the lanes aren't painted, it will take much longer to calibrate.

There is a process to calibrate the cameras at the service centers, but I have no idea if that calibration is the same calibration that the driver assistance systems need.

But the main answer is, yes, if you buy new, they all will take some time to calibrate so you can use Autopilot/FSDs.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Ford complimentary NACS-CCS1 Supercharger adapter just received.

Sure was nice of Ford to give them to each EV owner.

Now I am trying to fit both adapters (A2Z and Ford) into a single case....

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

Reactions: jz0309

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Correct. The more roads you drive on with proper painted lines, the faster it is. If you live in an area where the lanes aren't painted, it will take much longer to calibrate.

There is a process to calibrate the cameras at the service centers, but I have no idea if that calibration is the same calibration that the driver assistance systems need.

But the main answer is, yes, if you buy new, they all will take some time to calibrate so you can use Autopilot/FSDs.
So we are looking at a practically new 2024 Y Long Range. Has roughly 9,000km on it. Is it strange that it would not be calibrated yet? Or would I have to pay for the subscription to unlock the feature then it starts calibrating after that?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
So we are looking at a practically new 2024 Y Long Range. Has roughly 9,000km on it. Is it strange that it would not be calibrated yet? Or would I have to pay for the subscription to unlock the feature then it starts calibrating after that?

If they reset it at the SC, it could have needed to be recalibrated. Or maybe it doesn't do the calibration until there is an actual non-demo profile on the vehicle. No idea. But when you get it, create your profile and drive it, it will tell you if you need to drive more to calibrate. If it doesn't then it is something that a SC would have to resolve.

You shouldn't need to order anything, Autopilot is free, but needs calibrated cameras to work. If you want FSDs, when you pay, it still will need the cameras to be previously calibrated.

Also note, you may pay for FSDs, there are multiple OS versions. If you are on a later OS version than the FSDs version, you will not actually get to use FSDs until that OS passes the OS you are on.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Also note, you may pay for FSDs, there are multiple OS versions. If you are on a later OS version than the FSDs version, you will not actually get to use FSDs until that OS passes the OS you are on.
Multiple OS versions? Would I not just updated to the latest of everything like a computer?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Multiple OS versions? Would I not just updated to the latest of everything like a computer?

No. Unfortunately, there can be multiple "latest" versions.

There are 2 main branches. FSDs branch and non-FSDs branch. Usually, the non-FSDs branch is ahead of the FSDs branch. Features come out to the non-FSDs branch before the FSDs branch. They hold back the FSDs branch as they have to implement the FSDs software changes to work with the OS.

Right now, there is an overlap, but that is rare (it happens sometimes) where the FSDs version is the same on the 2 OS branches.

Latest non-FSDs branch: 2024.20 running FSDs 12.3.6
Latest FSDs branch: 2024.14 running FSDs 12.3.6

There is another wrinkle. There are employees and certain early adopter beta testers who get later versions before the general public. So, I'm listing general public releases.

Both my TM3/Y are running 2024.14.9 with FSDs 12.3.6.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
No. Unfortunately, there can be multiple "latest" versions.

There are 2 main branches. FSDs branch and non-FSDs branch. Usually, the non-FSDs branch is ahead of the FSDs branch. Features come out to the non-FSDs branch before the FSDs branch. They hold back the FSDs branch as they have to implement the FSDs software changes to work with the OS.

Right now, there is an overlap, but that is rare (it happens sometimes) where the FSDs version is the same on the 2 OS branches.

Latest non-FSDs branch: 2024.20 running FSDs 12.3.6
Latest FSDs branch: 2024.14 running FSDs 12.3.6

There is another wrinkle. There are employees and certain early adopter beta testers who get later versions before the general public. So, I'm listing general public releases.

Both my TM3/Y are running 2024.14.9 with FSDs 12.3.6.

Is this basically the OS we are talking about here? If so then I need to get the latest public released FSD build of the OS. Is this a straightforward thing to install or involve a lot of tinkering?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Is this basically the OS we are talking about here? If so then I need to get the latest public released FSD build of the OS. Is this a straightforward thing to install or involve a lot of tinkering?

This is the vehicle OS. All you do when you get the car, is drive it! It will let you know when new OS' are available. If you pay for FSDs, you will need go to the Autopilot section in the menu then turn FSDs on. When you do, it will either immediately work, or it will grey out and you will have to wait until the OS' align for FSDs to start working.

OS are pushed to vehicles by Tesla, you can't pick, or make it happen any faster. Once a new OS is pushed to you, you just need to have your Tesla download the OS (on wifi only).

The confusion people sometimes have is, they pay for FSDs then expect it to work right away. It may not work until a future OS is released if the FSDs software version on your current OS isn't right. This is why it is advised that if you want to join FSDs, don't do any software updates until you have paid & turned it on in the car, or you may get a later OS update that is from the non-FSDs branch.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
This is the vehicle OS. All you do when you get the car, is drive it! It will let you know when new OS' are available. If you pay for FSDs, you will need go to the Autopilot section in the menu then turn FSDs on. When you do, it will either immediately work, or it will grey out and you will have to wait until the OS' align for FSDs to start working.

OS are pushed to vehicles by Tesla, you can't pick, or make it happen any faster. Once a new OS is pushed to you, you just need to have your Tesla download the OS (on wifi only).

The confusion people sometimes have is, they pay for FSDs then expect it to work right away. It may not work until a future OS is released if the FSDs software version on your current OS isn't right. This is why it is advised that if you want to join FSDs, don't do any software updates until you have paid & turned it on in the car, or you may get a later OS update that is from the non-FSDs branch.
makes sense, thanks!

Reactions: JT2002TJ

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
And in other news, Fisker filed for bankruptcy yesterday evening… too bad, 1 less choice but apparently/supposedly building a vehicle in Europe, Magna in Austria, and then ship it for sale in the US was more challenging than anticipated…

Reactions: I7guy

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
And in other news, Fisker filed for bankruptcy yesterday evening… too bad, 1 less choice but apparently/supposedly building a vehicle in Europe, Magna in Austria, and then ship it for sale in the US was more challenging than anticipated…

For the US market at least, I think it was more that the OS wasn't right... You can come to market with a few quirks, but you are competing against well-established OS' now. If you get it for a test drive, and you get a bunch of errors, it's going to be hard to want to spend $70k+ when you go over to Tesla and pick up a TMY for $45k (for a performance, less for single or dual motors).

I have no idea about their profit per vehicle. But to me, EVs are all about their OS'. If the OS' is terrible, it isn't going to end well. You are better off having a limited but fully functional OS, then introduce features as you get them working.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Tesla 3’s and Y’s have gotten very popular due to their price point, but that then makes other brands attractive too for something different. My wife hates the look of the Tesla’s she’s seen, whereas I don’t mind the new model 3. However it was her car to get and she prefer’s German cars and the premium over a Tesla Model Y got a car she preferred. She hasn’t regretted her choice and even less so now there are 4 Tesla’s in our street.
For sure different folks for different strokes.

My buddy at work bought an i5 m60. For me, if there was an i5 m60 in all of my neighbors driveway, my reasoning for not buying it would not be due to the number on the block, but the vehicle doesn’t resonate with me.

EV adoption isn’t going to be predicated on $90,000 vehicles as we know for they are a fraction of the total sales of affordable vehicles. But one should get what they want.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
For the US market at least, I think it was more that the OS wasn't right... You can come to market with a few quirks, but you are competing against well-established OS' now. If you get it for a test drive, and you get a bunch of errors, it's going to be hard to want to spend $70k+ when you go over to Tesla and pick up a TMY for $45k (for a performance, less for single or dual motors).

I have no idea about their profit per vehicle. But to me, EVs are all about their OS'. If the OS' is terrible, it isn't going to end well. You are better off having a limited but fully functional OS, then introduce features as you get them working.
Sure, the Blazer EV had its issues with the OS, but, there are plenty people out there who do not want cars defined by their OSs, and for real mass adoption of EVs people need choices, just like not everyone wants OPD as one example.
Most people want to get into their new car and expect similar environment to what they had before. And of course there are those who want to get into all the “intelligence” that for example Tesla offers…

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
That is just an excuse to be honest. Their whole businessmodel was flawed and they didn’t have enough money in the warchest to setup a service network and get cars and parts made. Also this wasn’t the first time they messed up. People were wary.

And then there was the car, it was goodish. But felt way too cheap and relied on gimmicks like “California mode” that nobody ever asked for. The plastics were well plasticky to a level that is even worse than a Tesla interior.

I liked the way it drives, yes some software issues. But the car materials felt even worse than a Tesla. And it was too expensive for that. But the big problem was just a single service provider in my country.

Logistics of getting vehicles for Mayer was the least of their problems.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
That is just an excuse to be honest. Their whole businessmodel was flawed and they didn’t have enough money in the warchest to setup a service network and get cars and parts made. Also this wasn’t the first time they messed up. People were wary.

And then there was the car, it was goodish. But felt way too cheap and relied on gimmicks like “California mode” that nobody ever asked for. The plastics were well plasticky to a level that is even worse than a Tesla interior.

I liked the way it drives, yes some software issues. But the car materials felt even worse than a Tesla. And it was too expensive for that. But the big problem was just a single service provider in my country.

Logistics of getting vehicles for Mayer was the least of their problems.
I’m sure there were more issues, it was speculated in the WSJ article below (got it through my free Apple News trial so it’s probably paywalled :(). Supposedly their finance department couldn’t handle it…

I haven’t even seen one in the wild, just too bad it happened, and yes, I’m aware it’s his second time

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I’m sure there were more issues, it was speculated in the WSJ article below (got it through my free Apple News trial so it’s probably paywalled :(). Supposedly their finance department couldn’t handle it…

I haven’t even seen one in the wild, just too bad it happened, and yes, I’m aware it’s his second time

I’ve see a fair few in both the UK and Netherlands. I think they done a good job with the exterior design. The interior was a huge let down for me. The OS was ok when I test drove it. It had just had a big update. It’s good enough.

But you can’t even get a replacement windscreen for it when you have a stone chip. Fisker and Geeta just didn’t get the basics sorted. After the 20K price reduction it found its better price point but it was already too late.

Shame on my region as the Chinese brands are priced out from 1 st of July. So it will have to be a Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, BMW or Mercedes now. Stellantis cars aren’t for me. Kia are ok value wise but also still miss the mark interior wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.