Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I'll probably bite on a 11" Pro to upgrade my 2018 Pro as the price didn't really increase. I have a Magic Keyboard for my 2018 pro and won't be upgrading to the new one until Apple prove to me that iPad can be used as a proper computer. Right now, OLED screen and other bells and whistles aside, its still just an iPad.
Im impressed with the thinness but figure it will be hard to find a case that actually doesn't sacrifice too much of that design, and the iPad will probably just feel the same as before.
I do use an Apple Pencil 2 for note taking and am PISSED that I have to buy a new one. Im not an artist and so dont need the Pencil Pro, however why should I shell out £75 for the USB C Pencil when it has less features than my Pencil 2?!

Bloody Apple!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
How you getting so much trade in value for second gen iPad Pro?
It's a 2020 model - Apple offered a bit more than Cex/Music Magpie etc. but not absurdly so. It's quite a high spec (512GB cellular) so that may have affected it. Pretty happy with £345 trade in to be honest - going down to 256GB as never came close to filling half a terabyte!

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Stupid question, will my pencil, gen 2, work on the new pro, or do I have to buy a new one of those too.?
You have to buy a new one. The wireless charging interface changed, likely due to the landscape camera.

Reactions: ACDeag

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
It's a 2020 model - Apple offered a bit more than Cex/Music Magpie etc. but not absurdly so. It's quite a high spec (512GB cellular) so that may have affected it. Pretty happy with £345 trade in to be honest - going down to 256GB as never came close to filling half a terabyte!
Ah I see

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
I’m waiting for Curry’s to list, I’m buying through a work scheme but I will be buying the 13” 256gb and pencil pro!

I'll be doing the same, hopefully they will list them soon. I'm going for 256gb 11" replacing my 2017 Pro

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good value data-only eSIM? I travel a lot and value having cellular on my iPad - I don't use tonnes of data each month, but appreciate having it there.

Currently on a 1 month rolling £7 Lebara SIM for 12GB, but they don't offer eSIM :( Was looking at Lycamobile but ideally want to avoid EE as that's who I'm with for my phone and like the redundancy of having 2 networks available (quite often Lebara via Vodafone will have signal where my EE iPhone doesn't). Maybe worth looking at O2/Vodafone directly? Any good deals?

twyles

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
UK
Just bought one - 13" iPad Pro, 512 Gb Space Black + Pencil Pro + Keyboard + Apple Care. Delivery due on 15th.

Have been waiting a while to replace my 2017 10.5" Pro that's been playing up for the past few months and has a slight bend from where I sat on it.

boultonn

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2017
London
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good value data-only eSIM? I travel a lot and value having cellular on my iPad - I don't use tonnes of data each month, but appreciate having it there.

Currently on a 1 month rolling £7 Lebara SIM for 12GB, but they don't offer eSIM :( Was looking at Lycamobile but ideally want to avoid EE as that's who I'm with for my phone and like the redundancy of having 2 networks available (quite often Lebara via Vodafone will have signal where my EE iPhone doesn't). Maybe worth looking at O2/Vodafone directly? Any good deals?
Does AirAlo work on iPad?
Could be worth a look, great for travelling and gives you a little more choice of carriers.

Reactions: cambookpro

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Is it just me or does the iPad seem to lean further back with the new keyboard case than it did with the old one? I don't want the iPad to be falling backwards everytime I try to use the touchscreen in keyboard mode.
I'm assuming you can tilt the top part of the back to your desired angle - I hope so anyway. And what you see there may be the maximum it can be tilted back?

Guessing the bottom part stays at a 90 degree angle as shown?

They're always so mysterious with Magic Keyboards, it was the same in 2020! 😂

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I'm assuming you can tilt the top part of the back to your desired angle - I hope so anyway. And what you see there may be the maximum it can be tilted back?

Guessing the bottom part stays at a 90 degree angle as shown?

They're always so mysterious with Magic Keyboards, it was the same in 2020! 😂
Ehh, that'll have to be something to test out in the shops when it comes out. I'm still dying to know the weight of the new keyboard as well, they're not giving us anything on that either.

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
So ordered the Air 256gb wifi in Starlight with magic keyboard not long after announcement. Couldn't watch the event as was in a work meeting.

Logged back on here and was reminded re Educational Discount (am uni staff). So cancelled and reordered the Air with £50 discount. Magic keyboard was already preparing to ship so couldn't cancel that!

Was really happy with the choice and price of the Air.....................

Then watched the event and was seduced by the vision of the thin Pro in black so have now gone and ordered 11" Pro wifi in Black with Black M4 magic keyboard. Then since I was going crazy I figured I may as well add the Pro pencil.

Pro is probably more than I need (and more than I ideally wanted to spend - was actually planning to buy a 2022 Air reduced after the announcement until I noted the new Air prices were less than the 2022 Air). So will decide when they come whether I can juftify the Pro and what accessories are worth keeping. This is a replacement to an old Air and really my old 12" gold Macbook so I guess I can justify the accessories a bit more.

If I could bet on myself the Pro will win on looks, face ID, speakers before we even consider the better camera, screen, graphics etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: varun14

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
Ordered the 11" WiFi with 256GB. Still wondering about the 13". Would like to see how light it is. That said, I still think the 11" is the best option as I think iPad's are portable devices and my 12.9 just sits on my office desk. We'll see...
The weight difference is 135g for the Wi-Fi versions 136g for the cellular versions, so slightly less than an iPhone SE or about the same as two Cadbury creme eggs and a standard sized Mars Bar. Not a huge difference but will be noticeable.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I've gone for an ESR rebound magnetic case though will probably end up getting something else later. Only thing I would add is the Zugu cases are nice but they just don't last. They are also quite expensive at about £67 for the 11" and £76 for the 13", so gets quite expensive if you have to replace them after a couple of years.
I was planning to buy Zugu case for new iPad (not decided on Air or Pro yet). I never used them before and seem be rated well. So what make it don't last? Just wondering cos I keep my iPad for long time.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Sticking to my iPad Pro 2021 3rd Gen 2TB….

It‘s still going strong as ever, also just checked iMazing and still has 88% battery health 👍

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
I was planning to buy Zugu case for new iPad (not decided on Air or Pro yet). I never used them before and seem be rated well. So what make it don't last? Just wondering cos I keep my iPad for long time.
The material that covers the ‘lid’ that goes over the screen starts separating from the plastic ‘lid’. I’ve had it happen on two covers, so will avoid them in future. While you can glue it yourself, you shouldn’t need to, especially given the cost. Maybe I’ve just been unlucky but when you’ve shelled out £60+ on a case, you’d expect it to last longer than a couple of years, especially when my iPad rarely leaves the house. They are nice cases but just wish they were better made.

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
I've gone for an ESR rebound magnetic case though will probably end up getting something else later.
Also went for this. Not a lot of choice yet so this will do for now. Seems to be just £13.59 on Amazon. Apple are really taking the mick with their folio pricing.

My case of choice in the past has been the Speck Balance Folio. But as I don’t have a Pencil I don‘t like the gap that their design has now.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
not ordered yet but think I may get 13 inch 512GB

Nano display doesn’t seem much better aside from better outdoors and better reflective. Colours seem worse than standard

crypthick

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2023
Nothing on 3rd party sites yet it seems. I need curry’s to list them. Thankfully it doesn’t look like the iPads will sell out on launch day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.