Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
I honestly dislike TikTok and applaud this US government move. Maybe people will finally start to think critically and maybe there will be less degenerate social trends like breaking into someones car or going into random person home without their consent?🤦‍♂️

But surely its up to anyone if they like it or not. I see it differently and understand why US decided to ban it. This might be a soft preparation for war. Basically future censorship. While during peace censorship is unneeded, it comes crucial for counterpropaganda measures during periods of war.

And you probably guessed it, China is preparing too. Considering how widespread their software is, if war happens they will be able to launch disinformation thru all channels that they have, including TikTok. And social media nowadays can trigger any emotion that is unacceptable during wartime – broken morale, disbelief, even will to help enemy forces.

Hope this war will be limited to trade-only. Every war brings death and destruction and should be avoided at any cost.

It is much easier to make TikTok US entity and if something bad actually happens it will be regulated like US mass information entity, i.e. – owners will be obliged to monitor information posted, remove classified information like geolocations and locations of strategic infrastructure (air strips, military bases etc), give IP and physical addresses of users who help enemy etc.

Considering that ByteDance decided not to abide with the law and instead filled lawsuit – someone powerful enough in China told them to do so.

I can foresee a wave of discontent with this decision. But I can also foresee people just jumping ship to YT Shorts and Facebook smth (yeah they also have this “tiktok mode”, albeit slow af because Mark never invests in fast servers for this stuff)

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
All US based apps and services are banned in China. US frankly should do the same. Ban all Chinese owned apps and services in US. Why the hell should we allow them to mine our data, if they don't allow us to do the same?

For the same reason we (ostensibly) don't censor the internet or news, the reason arrest records are public (so you can't just disappear people), the reason we have the Bill of Rights in the first place.

Because we (ostensibly) believe in freedom of information and freedom of speech.

I do understand the sentiment, but this is very tricky. Don't forget that most of the real reason for this is to further enrich Larry Ellison by forcing ByteDance to subcontract Oracle.

If US Congress actually cared about US citizens' privacy, they would enact effective laws that cover this and all the other companies, foreign and domestic, which do the exact same thing.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
In case you all missed it, Romney already gave the game away and admitted that the ban happened to curb pro-Palestine sentiment: https://www.axios.com/local/salt-la...blinken-tiktok-ban-israel-palestinian-content

Turns out all of that posturing about national security was BS that politicians sold to the American public to justify their blatantly unconstitutional actions!

You do recall that this all started a couple of years ago under everyone's favorite president. Now that everyone's current favorite president also wants to do it, the narrative has changed.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Stunning_Sense4712

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2021
They trying hard not to sell the company. My take is that if they don't sell and leave the US market then our lawmakers were right in saying that China had nefarious intent with Tiktok. Like why would you leave billions on the table just for some moral reason?
China can use the app for spying and to run influence operations against the west. Tik Tok got caught using the app to spy on journalist's to identify whistle blowers, which they blamed on employees.

Reactions: steve333

Stunning_Sense4712

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2021
This will make VPNs & TikTok more popular than it ever was.
Tik Tok US website would be shutdown so a VPN would not even help. The China version of Tik Tok, Doyin has vastly different content and the content allowed on Tik Tok US is not allowed on that platform due to the strict censorship rules of China.

I don't see anything wrong with TikTok. I learn more on TikTok than on Instagram and Facebook. Many people don't know that American food produces so many chemicals that can harm you in the long run. For instance, Halls's cough drops have red 40 which can harm you the dye is thought to be linked to allergies, migraine, and mental disorders in children. American companies such as Facebook and Instagram will not tell you that. I started to travel around the world and realized if a food product is in America and not in another country it's bad for you. Even the cereal that people eat in America is bad. People should see the ingredient labels behind ketchup bottles and compare American ingredients to other countries. America is worried about an app when there are other things America should be worried about.
There is no problem with wanting information about issues facing America to be able to be communicated and understood. There is no problem with identifying the Instagram and Facebook might not provide that information in a way that is equal to other platforms. I agree with all of that. I wish more expansive information was shared in such a way that allowed people to make more informed decisions instead of curtailing data and presenting it in an emotional way to force an agenda.

But no matter how much I don't want Red 40 in our food supply, food issues or any other topic that "everyone should know about" simply does not address the reasons why the US Gov has asked for the sale of TikTok.

People should care enough about issues that they seek information and work for change. Going to a platform like TikTok for this is not even a second best case, it's like the third or fourth best case scenario. In fact people going to social media for their information is the VERY reason why disinformation is so common these days. TikTok is not the answer to disinformation, it is a contributor, just like all social media. Information should not be presented in a sensational or "bite sized" manor because all nuance is lost. Without nuance topics become "us vs them" and devolve into the state of where things are today.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
There is no problem with wanting information about issues facing America to be able to be communicated and understood. There is no problem with identifying the Instagram and Facebook might not provide that information in a way that is equal to other platforms. I agree with all of that. I wish more expansive information was shared in such a way that allowed people to make more informed decisions instead of curtailing data and presenting it in an emotional way to force an agenda.

But no matter how much I don't want Red 40 in our food supply, food issues or any other topic that "everyone should know about" simply does not address the reasons why the US Gov has asked for the sale of TikTok.

People should care enough about issues that they seek information and work for change. Going to a platform like TikTok for this is not even a second best case, it's like the third or fourth best case scenario. In fact people going to social media for their information is the VERY reason why disinformation is so common these days. TikTok is not the answer to disinformation, it is a contributor, just like all social media. Information should not be presented in a sensational or "bite sized" manor because all nuance is lost. Without nuance topics become "us vs them" and devolve into the state of where things are today.

Actually, the bigger culprit is AM radio.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Tik Tok US website would be shutdown so a VPN would not even help. The China version of Tik Tok, Doyin has vastly different content and the content allowed on Tik Tok US is not allowed on that platform due to the strict censorship rules of China.

Just to state the obvious, but there's a whole world out there that isn't the US or China and in which TikTok will not be banned.

Unless the bill prevents any American company from doing business with TikTok entirely, which I don't think it does (?), you could presumably create a Canadian, Mexican, European or whatever account and continue to use the app in some shape or form.

Whether people will actually do that is an entirely different question of course.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
A "bigger culprit" in regards to what? The big issues facing America? The problems the Gov has with TikTok? Things that prevent real discussions on important topics? That is such a vague comment I have no idea what you mean by it :p

AM talk radio in America is dominated by extremist right wing propaganda. Far more so than cable news and with far greater reach. That’s the context that leads to these exceptionally factionalized landscapes. So the answer to your questions is “yes.”

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Just to state the obvious, but there's a whole world out there that isn't the US or China and in which TikTok will not be banned.

Unless the bill prevents any American company from doing business with TikTok entirely, which I don't think it does (?), you could presumably create a Canadian, Mexican, European or whatever account and continue to use the app in some shape or form.

Whether people will actually do that is an entirely different question of course.

So far the entire thing has existed as nothing more than a political hot potato. Will the “ban” ever be enforced? We’ll see but my bet is on no.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
They did not since they would be sued into oblivion and would make the news just like Tik Tok did when they got caught.

Do you not remember that whole Cambridge Analytics scandal? And remind me when TikTok was sued into oblivion?

Meta gets sued every day, that's just what happens to big companies. They are immune to anything but federal government level action, and that's not going to happen. Meta is far too valuable to the government for several reasons. Many of the same reasons TikTok is valuable to the Chinese. Which is why the government is so pissed, they know exactly what they are doing. But they can't just make it illegal because they do the same thing.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
ByteDance can self-fornicate. We are under no obligation to allow a company which is controlled by a hostile foreign government to continue to operate in the US.
While it's true the user is under no obligation to use apps designed by foreigners, I agree with you that the option to do so should be legally prohibited. All app creators should be required to display their nationality which we will review before allowing them to create.

While it would signal that the first amendment to the Bill of Rights is no longer in effect, just think of all the ways society can be changed in the future once this archaic and unnecessary freedom is restricted.

While focusing on the nationality and ethnicity of app authors is a good start, we don't really know what those people are *thinking*. What, if, for example, an app was created from The Ukraine. Now, before you rush to go download and install it, remember that we do not know what is going on in the head of the ficticious Ukrainian programmer. What if he believes wrongthink about sexual orientation, or that criminals should have to pay bail?

No, this looking at the outside color of the skin of the app authors does not go anywhere near far enough. We really need to be able to understand the thoughts and motivations of said author before we can acceptably allow the public to use his app. But I agree, this is a very good first step in that direction.

If they won't sell, then shut down their access to the US by whatever means necessary.

I especially like this idea of forced asset forfeiture should a creator of an app deemed to be Bad (or even just from the wrong geographical location), be unwilling to give up his app upon the demand of the regime. By all means necessary. I really hope you mean what I think you mean... 😉

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.