Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I just switched SIM card from my daily driving iPhone 12 Pro Max to iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 18 installed.

Trying to texted to Pixel 7. Looks like iOS 18 still trying to send SMS. RCS message probably won’t be enabled during Beta phase.

RCS you can!

Last edited:

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I just switched SIM card from my daily driving iPhone 12 Pro Max to iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 18 installed.

Trying to texted to Pixel 7. Looks like iOS 18 still trying to send SMS. RCS message probably won’t be enabled during Beta phase.
Probably see it later in beta, as we get some features enabled later on, around DB4-DB6. We see this every year, not everything in the Keynote is in B1.

Judging by Apple's iOS 18 page, it will be in place by time 18.0 launches publicly in the Fall, as it's not tagged as 'coming later in the year' like the new Mail app changes, etc.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Probably see it later in beta, as we get some features enabled later on, around DB4-DB6. We see this every year, not everything in the Keynote is in B1.

Judging by Apple's iOS 18 page, it will be in place by time 18.0 launches publicly in the Fall, as it's not tagged as 'coming later in the year' like the new Mail app changes, etc.

Maybe. LOL. I was so excited and disappointed by this. I am eager to text my family members and colleagues with Android with RCS messages.

Reactions: redbeard331

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm sure carriers have to also implement it from Apple devices to others.
Actually, I think this is solely on Apple enabling it in iOS in a future beta. Carriers will already be supporting it their end due to other devices already using it. I would even bet that the carrier update in iOS 18 betas already have what’s needed

Reactions: Project Alice

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Yea I immediately had an Android friend send me a video after I installed the beta and was so bummed to see the video all pixelated still.

Seems like this is something that won’t drop until the rc or maybe even 18.1-18.2.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Yea I immediately had an Android friend send me a video after I installed the beta and was so bummed to see the video all pixelated still.

Seems like this is something that won’t drop until the rc or maybe even 18.1-18.2.
It’s going up be in 18.0 final release, otherwise it would be tagged as ‘coming later this year’ like Mail app updates, etc. probably see it in DB4 or so.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I'm sure carriers have to also implement it from Apple devices to others.

Actually, I think this is solely on Apple enabling it in iOS in a future beta. Carriers will already be supporting it their end due to other devices already using it. I would even bet that the carrier update in iOS 18 betas already have what’s needed
My money is on no carrier involvement at all. Messages app is essentially US only due to iMessage hype there. Most US carriers gave up providing native RCS hubs to their customers, pushing them all to Google Messages / Jibe.

I‘m 99.9% certain Apple rolls their own UP compliant RCS Hub and manages RCS messaging for all iOS devices, cutting out the middle man (carriers, since most don‘t run a hub). They already have the infrastructure there with iMessage, should be fairly easy for them to spin up a RCS protocol variant.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
My money is on no carrier involvement at all. Messages app is essentially US only due to iMessage hype there. Most US carriers gave up providing native RCS hubs to their customers, pushing them all to Google Messages / Jibe.

I‘m 99.9% certain Apple rolls their own UP compliant RCS Hub and manages RCS messaging for all iOS devices, cutting out the middle man (carriers, since most don‘t run a hub). They already have the infrastructure there with iMessage, should be fairly easy for them to spin up a RCS protocol variant.
There is a person on X that was able to get it working now. Carriers are handling the backend on T-Mobile (their own) and AT&T with Jibe. It's not 100% functional yet and I'm sure more carriers like Verizon will add support when it launches, but it works.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
There is a person on X that was able to get it working now. Carriers are handling the backend on T-Mobile (their own) and AT&T with Jibe. It's not 100% functional yet and I'm sure more carriers like Verizon will add support when it launches, but it works.
I’m suspicious of that post and not just cos it’s ‘X’, as it seems fishy that only one person has it working, despite the amount of people that have the Beta running and don’t have RCS.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Link? I highly doubt anyone gets this to work without Apple enabling it in software

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Ah yes, because its on the internet and posted by some random person on Social Media, it's true.
I don't know if it's true or not. If it is true there will be other tech nerds that figure it out and we'll see more posts. I was just asked for a link and you can draw your own conclusions.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Ok I take it back, looks pretty convincing.

Hope it‘s just buggy because it‘s not fully implemented in this build yet or there is more to it than flipping a feature flag. I certainly can‘t wait to try it out once it hits beta.

Reading that person's account and the people he links to, it seems like they found a way to decrypt, edit and re-encrypt an iOS backup (which is nothing new per se), and edit the feature flags before restoring, to enable features that are currently present but hidden from us lowly developer beta users. I assume it's there so Apple employees can use the same build and enable additional features as needed.

Reactions: DakotaGuy

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Ok I take it back, looks pretty convincing.

Hope it‘s just buggy because it‘s not fully implemented in this build yet or there is more to it than flipping a feature flag. I certainly can‘t wait to try it out once it hits beta.
Yes. It also sort of makes sense it doesn't work on Verizon yet because they are still in the process of moving carrier services over to Jibe. I think the announcement they were moving to Jibe was pretty recent. AT&T has been using Jibe for awhile. I guess it works on T-Mobiles own RCS backend according to this guy, but I thought they were also moving to Jibe.

If this is legit then I think we can pretty much confirm that Apple will not be serving RCS and will leave it to the carriers like they have SMS/MMS. It makes sense to me.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Yes. It also sort of makes sense it doesn't work on Verizon yet because they are still in the process of moving carrier services over to Jibe. I think the announcement they were moving to Jibe was pretty recent. AT&T has been using Jibe for awhile. I guess it works on T-Mobiles own RCS backend according to this guy, but I thought they were also moving to Jibe.

If this is legit then I think we can pretty much confirm that Apple will not be serving RCS and will leave it to the carriers like they have SMS/MMS. It makes sense to me.
The person who hacked this together updated their reddit comment thread to confirm, that the T-Mobile phone is also Jibe (not a T-Mobile hub).

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
The person who hacked this together updated their reddit comment thread to confirm, that the T-Mobile phone is also Jibe (not a T-Mobile hub).
Ok. I didn't see that yet, so yeah Jibe will be the backend for pretty much everyone. That makes sense considering pretty much all the carriers have moved to Jibe. I'm sure it's cheaper to just pay Google to run a server instead of having their own plus it's likely more reliable. Of course E2EE has nothing to do with Jibe, but everything to do with Google Messages running an extension on-top of the universal profile so I don't see E2EE coming between iPhones and Android phones anytime soon. Still this is a huge improvement over SMS/MMS. Encrypted in transit is still much safer than sending plain text.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Ok. I didn't see that yet, so yeah Jibe will be the backend for pretty much everyone. That makes sense considering pretty much all the carriers have moved to Jibe. I'm sure it's cheaper to just pay Google to run a server instead of having their own plus it's likely more reliable. Of course E2EE has nothing to do with Jibe, but everything to do with Google Messages running an extension on-top of the universal profile so I don't see E2EE coming between iPhones and Android phones anytime soon. Still this is a huge improvement over SMS/MMS. Encrypted in transit is still much safer than sending plain text.
Yeah kind of surprising to me that Apple is content enough with handing off control of their RCS experience to carriers / Jibe. Was under the impression that they‘ll provide their own hub to tightly control their sliver of RCS.

But then again, pretty much everything about their move to RCS screams „f*** you, now s*** up“. Gnarly teeth and everything.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Yeah kind of surprising to me that Apple is content enough with handing off control of their RCS experience to carriers / Jibe. Was under the impression that they‘ll provide their own hub to tightly control their sliver of RCS.

But then again, pretty much everything about their move to RCS screams „f*** you, now s*** up“. Gnarly teeth and everything.
Yeah I'm sure Apple is like we'll provide this feature in the software, but we are not spending one penny to operate it. They will always be bitter about this and USB-C in the iPhone.

Considering the GSMA developed RSC to be the next generation of their carrier based SMS/MMS protocol it makes sense for Apple to just let the carriers run it like they have with SMS/MMS. Apple is not actually working directly with Google for the RCS hub, but since the carriers are the whole thing will end up running on Jibe. This is probably the best solution for compatibility and reliability though. If Apple, Google and (insert names of carriers) were all running hubs reliability would take a hit. With most of the traffic being routed through Jibe it should just work.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I don't suppose it's something they are in a particular hurry to do.

I did always find this strange because it would have mean't more users on their messages app, leading to potentially more iPhone adoption as users see all the possible features they could have access to if they went blue.

Now it's just a little too late, due in part to WhatsApp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.