Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

hankmii

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Updated to 14.5 Now, all of my photos (on the desktop) have a White Border on them. If I open the photo in PhotoShop Elements the border doesn’t show but is on whatever I print. If this isn’t a 14.5 bug then does anyone have any idea of what may have caused this?

suseptimus

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2024
Ciao, sono nuovo del forum, mi scuso ma utilizzo il traduttore, purtroppo ho problemi sul mio MacBook Pro A1708 (2016 no touchbar), con Facetime ricevo la notifica di chiamata ma quando provo a rispondere alla linea gocce, se provo a farlo da solo la chiamata mi dà un errore, purtroppo non compare tra i problemi noti, qualcuno potrebbe dirmi se riscontra lo stesso problema o ha qualche soluzione? Grazie mille a tutti :D

Deej

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
UK
I'm the OP on that thread :) I've had a to-and-fro of emails with DisplayLink support but no progress yet. It's really annoying when one of the screens isn't working, so I've had to (hopefully as a temporary measure), plug an AppleTV into the blank screen and use AirPlay to extend my display. The quality is not as good as being directly connected, but it's stable and is good enough for now.. I'll update all threads with any progress with DisplayLink support..

So, just an update on this - I’ve had a back-and-forth with DisplayLink support about this - try this, try that - but no luck. I got annoyed with it all so reset my MBP back to factory over the weekend, reinstalled all software and … still no joy. At this point, I’m getting a little bit cross!

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I’ve been seeing my external drives get disconnected overnight lately. Prevents Time Machine backups from happening…

Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 7.47.55 PM.png

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I'm still unable to make any changes in Safari (or Safari Tech Preview) due to this Error--

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 7.00.56 AM.jpeg

About 1½ months ago I had my M1 MBP serviced by Apple and had my drive wiped, and just to test this out because I've had this issue for well over a year now, I setup macOS as new and signed into iCloud and when I opened Safari for the first time, although it did look like whatever Bookmarks were there were loading, I was unable to remove anything from my Reading List due to this Error. I ended up just restoring to a Time Machine backup anyway, but again, that was like 6-7 weeks ago now and I'm still seeing this message as of this morning.

I have the 4TB iCloud "everything" plan and have a bunch of iDevices and 3 Macs running in my house, almost all of them utilizing iCloud in some way. I'm wondering if there's a hard limit on the number of files or whatever that iCloud can handle? Like how there was a hard limit on the number of characters that can be listed in an Excel cell? I use iTunes Match, too, so I can only assume that the number of items added can have an impact just like the amount of storage used? I still have PLENTY of free space in my iCloud account, though.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Simply logging out of iCloud (and even waiting an hour, day, week) doesn't make a difference. I may be able to clear some things out, but as soon as I sign back in again, I get this error regardless of what I do and when or how long after I've signed in...

I really do like being able to open a Safari page open on my iPhone on my Mac, though. Even if that means I'm seeing many many months old "Phantom Tabs" from other devices.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(See FB13719000, FB11976762, and FB12045859)

Last edited:

danano

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
Updated to 14.5 Now, all of my photos (on the desktop) have a White Border on them. If I open the photo in PhotoShop Elements the border doesn’t show but is on whatever I print. If this isn’t a 14.5 bug then does anyone have any idea of what may have caused this?
This sounds like a WindowServer bug. WindowServer remains buggy in 14.5, at least in Intel code. Are you running on Intel or Apple silicon?

14.4 had Photos version 9.0 build 646.2.101. 14.5 has Photos version 9.0 build 651.0.100. I have seen no notice of what was changed.

Running Photos in macOS 14.4 I had, and reported, many WindowServer crashes. In 14.5 WindowServer seems more stable. Also, for days immediately following update to 14.5 WindowServer was very active, often using up to 20% gpu of my Radeon 2. The high gpu use seems to be much less now.

My understanding is that WindowServer maps elements of graphics to the appropriate software process. As an example, elements of photos in Photos in the past have been analyzed for Faces of known People. My guess is for each photo this involves several steps. Scan the photo; analyze the scan for known elements such as faces, scenes, etc; compare detected potential elements against a database of known elements of each type; for elements found to match existing database elements incorporate them into the database, store elements not found to match in a local cache for that photo to be matched against other unmatched elements for similarities suggesting a new identifiable element. These guesses are based on knowing generally what needs to be done, and observing Activity Monitor for extent of use of various processes.

One thing that led me to observe Photos so closely was trying to add circles to identify Faces that Photos has not detected. Often precise placement of the added circle is aided by expanding the view. I should say "should be enhanced," since the location of the added circles and their associated names are unstable. These graphical elements jump around in ways that sometimes are sort of predictable, but often just random. My understanding is that keeping track of these graphical elements is a function of WindowServer.

This has been a known issue for years. After updating Monterey 12.6.7 to 12.6.8 the bug seemed gone. Then on updating to Ventura 13.6.1 this bug had returned. I do not know when in Ventura the bug returned, because I only ran Ventura after an unrequested update forced on me about the time Sonoma was released. When another unrequested update forced me onto Sonoma, 14.3 if I recall correctly, the bug was still there.

In Photos of macOS 14 the analysis of photos has been much expanded, to include pets, scenes, etc. I believe the analysis also now includes other information such as location and family due from Contacts. Adding Face circles in the expanded view of a photo remains unstable in 14.5. While working with, and reporting, this bug, I have seen many anomalies in photos and also in other elements of the GUI. Sometimes colors are wrong. Sometimes a graphic element is in the wrong window pane. As an example, I have seen a Face circle relocated by Photos off the photo and into the Information bar of the window.

An important aspect of my problems is they occur on my MacPro7,1 (Intel). I also have a MacBookPro18,2 (Apple M1). I believe the problems I describe do not occur on the MBP. I believe this indicates Apple's debugging and quality control has been done on Apple Silicon, leaving the Intel code buggy.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I woke today to see that Safari seems to have reset itself or something, as all of my Extensions were reset and my Safari toolbar was set back to Default. This happened on both my Intel Mac mini and my M1 MBP. Didn't notice any other updates or anything that might have caused an issue.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I woke today to see that Safari seems to have reset itself or something, as all of my Extensions were reset and my Safari toolbar was set back to Default. This happened on both my Intel Mac mini and my M1 MBP. Didn't notice any other updates or anything that might have caused an issue.
All of my Safari Extensions reset themselves again, and my Safari Toolbar was reset, too. Not sure what's happening here.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I'm also finding that Spotlight isn't showing any apps at all when I search. And I've confirmed that "Applications" is checked and at the top of the list.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
So, to test this out further, I set the app Amphetamine to not let my M1 MBP go to sleep, but still allow the Screensaver to come on and my Display to go to sleep- Hoping my Time Machine backups would still continue normally thru the night....

Nope!

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 6.54.31 AM.png

These times line up to when I stepped away from my Mac yesterday! Would be great if Time Machine actually backed up all the changes I know I made before 6PM yesterday...
But hey, at least my External Disks aren't ejecting over and over and over and over and over...

Reactions: Luckygreek

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
This keeps happening every day, whenever my MBP goes to sleep.

View attachment 2390235
I to get this error as well Disk not ejected properly on 1 of my external NVMe Thunderbolt drives, troubleshoot as I may still haven't figured out why, I have 3 other (Thunderbolt 3) external drives that I don't get that error with and they all go thru an OWC hub, the drive always stays mounted but I get that error. A real head-scratcher. A communication issue between OS, bus, and drive? I checked all my cables, swapped them around between each other, checked the drive with Disk Drill and Drive DX as well as Disk First Aid, and zero issues. Yours appears to happen in relatively short intervals, mine not so much maybe once a day. This never happened with prior OS 14.4. Developer as well as public OS's.

Last edited:
Reactions: gank41

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I'm also finding that Spotlight isn't showing any apps at all when I search. And I've confirmed that "Applications" is checked and at the top of the list.
I had problems with spotlight not showing results that was obvious that it should, and I found a tip on the web, to deselect all drives in the Spotlight System Settings and then re-enable them, to force a reindexing of the drives, and it fixed it for me. Not saying it'll fix the unmounting problem, tho'.

(Added; the indexing wil take some time, a few hours depending on the amount of data. You can follow the mds process(es) in Activity Monitor.)

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I to get this error as well Disk not ejected properly on 1 of my external NVMe Thunderbolt drives, troubleshoot as I may still haven't figured out why, I have 3 other (Thunderbolt 3) external drives that I don't get that error with and they all go thru an OWC hub, the drive always stays mounted but I get that error. A real head-scratcher. A communication issue between OS, bus, and drive? I checked all my cables, swapped them around between each other, checked the drive with Disk Drill and Drive DX as well as Disk First Aid, and zero issues. Yours appears to happen in relatively short intervals, mine not so much maybe once a day. This never happened with prior OS 14.4. Developer as well as public OS's.

Same here, this wasn't an issue on anything before macOS 14.5, and I've tested by connecting the same hub and drives to my Intel Mac mini and never see this issue.

I had problems with spotlight not showing results that was obvious that it should, and I found a tip on the web, to deselect all drives in the Spotlight System Settings and then re-enable them, to force a reindexing of the drives, and it fixed it for me. Not saying it'll fix the unmounting problem, tho'.

(Added; the indexing wil take some time, a few hours depending on the amount of data. You can follow the mds process(es) in Activity Monitor.)

I was able to fix this by completely removing the main drive from Spotlight indexing and then added it back again.

Reactions: Luckygreek

Luckygreek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2018
Florida
Is anyone having an issue with Mac's "Password" app crashing when trying to either create or modify a password?? It's like clockwork, edit a password..crash, try to modify a password and it crashes, sometimes it generates a report that goes to Apple and other times it just "Password has unexpectedly quit" Reopen or Quit. This is the only app to date that crashes for me. I, ve did some searches but haven't found any reports, for 1Password yes but not for Apple's Password app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.