Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Bucks_Fizz

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2018
Another edit:
So i got my external screen back...

Shut down MACBOOK
Unplugged HDMI Dock
Unplugged power
Switched on MACBOOK
Once fully booted, plugged in dock with HDMI cable connected
Then plugged in power

Worked for me, may work for someone else having similar issue

Reactions: Alameda and rehkram

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
Updated my M3 Pro MacBook Pro to this one since 14.4 and 14.4.1 were really sluggish for me. Animations felt like the display wasn't hitting 120hz, more like 60hz when I turn on low power mode.
And unfortunately it's literally the same on 14.5... there's so much stutter when I swipe between spaces or even scroll in safari.

Second thing I noticed is that watching YouTube in safari heated up MacBook more. On 14.4.1 it was always around 42-45C, today it was around 55C. Obviously it's not that much, but still.

Overall, I'm not impressed right now, macOS 14.3 worked much better on my Mac.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Updated my M3 Pro MacBook Pro to this one since 14.4 and 14.4.1 were really sluggish for me. Animations felt like the display wasn't hitting 120hz, more like 60hz when I turn on low power mode.
And unfortunately it's literally the same on 14.5... there's so much stutter when I swipe between spaces or even scroll in safari.

Second thing I noticed is that watching YouTube in safari heated up MacBook more. On 14.4.1 it was always around 42-45C, today it was around 55C. Obviously it's not that much, but still.

call apple! you're on a new pro, and these things should not be happening (14.5 is fine here)...

mfm77

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
NJ
UPDATE: I just tried again, and it finally opened. Really weird.

I just updated my M1 Mini, and Messages will not load at all. The app "bounces" but never opens. I've tried force quitting, restarting, and shutting down/restarting, but nothing has worked. It works fine on my M2 MacBook Air.

Last edited:

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009

Mac Mail - Unable to verify account name or password Hotmail​

* Removing the account and re-adding it (even in safe mode)
* Restarting the computer
* Changing the password
* Checking if Multi-factor authentication is on.
* I've tried setting it up as another mail account
* Checking if my mail account works on my iPhone, iPad (it works on all of them).
* Delete all keychain
* Reset mail with CMM X

This happens after every update. If this isn't a bug, what is?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

Mac Mail - Unable to verify account name or password Hotmail​

* Removing the account and re-adding it (even in safe mode)
* Restarting the computer
* Changing the password
* Checking if Multi-factor authentication is on.
* I've tried setting it up as another mail account
* Checking if my mail account works on my iPhone, iPad (it works on all of them).
* Delete all keychain
* Reset mail with CMM X

This happens after every update. If this isn't a bug, what is?
is it common? are others reporting it? otherwise, it's not a bug, but a singular issue you're having. hotmail issue perhaps? or something specific with the account on your mac...

Siliconpsychosis

macrumors member
May 18, 2023

animations are reduced to 60hz in low power mode

Deej

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
UK
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but since updating to 14.5 I've lost my second screen connected via DisplayLink.

M1 MBP 13" - 1 external screen connected via Thunderbolt dock, 2nd external screen connected via DisplayLink (USB 3.0 from Thunderbolt dock). All working perfectly prior to 14.5 update. The DisplayLink adapter (Plugable UGA-4KHDMI) is detected, according to System Report but nothing on the screen.

Anybody else with this issue?

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but since updating to 14.5 I've lost my second screen connected via DisplayLink.

M1 MBP 13" - 1 external screen connected via Thunderbolt dock, 2nd external screen connected via DisplayLink (USB 3.0 from Thunderbolt dock). All working perfectly prior to 14.5 update. The DisplayLink adapter (Plugable UGA-4KHDMI) is detected, according to System Report but nothing on the screen.

As with many of the problems reported here, unplug the dock, reboot your computer, attach the dock after the Finder loads. No promises, but worth a try.

Reactions: Deej and jagooch

mikeowaterloo

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2024

I have a pluggable as well, but I haven't done the upgrade (mainly because of your report). But I see others reporting this issue on the DisplayLink forums : https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=96874

One user (colorcritical) claims to have got it to work (does he/she mean DisplayLink when they say "DeviceLink" ?)

"I upgraded to macOS 14.5 today and almost expected DeviceLink to not work. Sure enough it didn't after I finished the update.

I uninstalled DeviceLink from Apps and reinstalled it again, rebooted and it still didn't see my two HP displays.

I shut down my MacBook and unplugged my USB-C Dock. I rebooted my MacBook and plugged the power to the Dual Display USB-C Dock and opened Device Link, only to notice I needed to re-install the extension again (found under Support tab). I rebooted again.

This must have reset preferences, Because I had to manually start DeviceLink from Applications and then manually reselect "Launch automatically after login".

This seemed to work and I am now back up and running with macOS 14.5 and Device Link Manager 1.10.1(Build 93) with two hp Z24n G2 displays."

Anyway, seems like a major issue. I will hold off the upgrade.

Reactions: roncron and Deej

skiabox

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Larisa, Greece
It seems that they finally fixed the problem with the ucb-c external monitor recognition.
Probably nowadays mac os needs to arrive at version .5 to be stable.
I remember in the past we were waiting for version .3 to be sure that a mac os is stable.

Reactions: roncron and jagooch

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It seems that they finally fixed the problem with the ucb-c external monitor recognition.
Probably nowadays mac os needs to arrive at version .5 to be stable.
I remember in the past we were waiting for version .3 to be sure that a mac os is stable.
that's all anecdotal, not real. there's no 'absolute' moment where any OS is 'stable'. during the course of updates (and betas), some bugs get squashed, and sometimes... new bugs appear.

but no harm waiting till it 'feels' right to update!

Reactions: mikeowaterloo

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
that's all anecdotal, not real. there's no 'absolute' moment where any OS is 'stable'. during the course of updates (and betas), some bugs get squashed, and sometimes... new bugs appear.

but no harm waiting till it 'feels' right to update!
Stable only means a public release won’t change any more, until some version replaces it. Every beta is unstable, subject to change. One could claim a release is quite solid or working reliably if it works better. ;)

Reactions: roncron and gank41

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
Most of my running apps in the dock have a Force Quit in the place that used to be Quit. In Safari when I click on a bookmark it downloads the URL to my download folder? Strange.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Stable only means a public release won’t change any more, until some version replaces it. Every beta is unstable, subject to change. One could claim a release is quite solid or working reliably if it works better. ;)
am using 'stable' as in how well everything runs. every beta, and every version of an OS is, to some extent, unstable (and sometimes for only some users). there's no single point where we're fully 'there'... only the point where apple (in this case) decides we're 'there'... ☺️

lfaa

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
hmm, i also have an M2 air, and nothing like that happening here. call apple! this is an issue you're having, not a bug we're all having.

"Apple has never care about their customers' etc is just ugly ranting, and says and means... nothing.
Yes maybe a hardware issue. Apple Care may cover it?

Deej

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
UK
As with many of the problems reported here, unplug the dock, reboot your computer, attach the dock after the Finder loads. No promises, but worth a try.

Yeah, I went through a whole load of trying to get it work, rebooting, removing reinstalling software, trying different versions etc. No such luck, sadly!

Deej

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
UK
I have a pluggable as well, but I haven't done the upgrade (mainly because of your report). But I see others reporting this issue on the DisplayLink forums : https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=96874

One user (colorcritical) claims to have got it to work (does he/she mean DisplayLink when they say "DeviceLink" ?)

"I upgraded to macOS 14.5 today and almost expected DeviceLink to not work. Sure enough it didn't after I finished the update.

I uninstalled DeviceLink from Apps and reinstalled it again, rebooted and it still didn't see my two HP displays.

I shut down my MacBook and unplugged my USB-C Dock. I rebooted my MacBook and plugged the power to the Dual Display USB-C Dock and opened Device Link, only to notice I needed to re-install the extension again (found under Support tab). I rebooted again.

This must have reset preferences, Because I had to manually start DeviceLink from Applications and then manually reselect "Launch automatically after login".

This seemed to work and I am now back up and running with macOS 14.5 and Device Link Manager 1.10.1(Build 93) with two hp Z24n G2 displays."

Anyway, seems like a major issue. I will hold off the upgrade.

I'm the OP on that thread :) I've had a to-and-fro of emails with DisplayLink support but no progress yet. It's really annoying when one of the screens isn't working, so I've had to (hopefully as a temporary measure), plug an AppleTV into the blank screen and use AirPlay to extend my display. The quality is not as good as being directly connected, but it's stable and is good enough for now.. I'll update all threads with any progress with DisplayLink support..

JackButler

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
This update was a heaping pile of ____! Having lots of annoyances with some websites using the new Safari.

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
Expect choppy animations I have reported earlier I have another annoying AF bug.
My MacBook stops recognising a charger. It's like it disconnects itself and stops charging and no - it's not because of the optimised charging feature.
I open the lid, plug the charger, it starts charging and then after few minutes stops and macOS behaves like the charger is not connected even though the LED on the MagSafe plug is orange. This is happening to me daily at this point.

I have tried with 60W, 96W and even 20W Apple chargers with MagSafe or USB-C and there's not difference. It worked perfectly fine on 14.3 and 14.4. This is happening since updating to 14.5 so it has to be software issue.

When I reconnect the charger it's fine but I was already pissed twice when I plugged the charger because I wanted my MacBook to be charged so I could grab it outside, went to do something and came back just to find out that it stopped recognising the charger and left me with 20-30% battery.

Is there any way to re-install MacOS on apple silicon without erasing everything? Just like you do it on iPhone by downloading IPSW? Gotta be honest, I'm disappointed with Apple lately. My job requires PCs with windows and I had way more bugs on macOS in the past year than on windows.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Expect choppy animations I have reported earlier I have another annoying AF bug.
My MacBook stops recognising a charger. It's like it disconnects itself and stops charging and no - it's not because of the optimised charging feature.
I open the lid, plug the charger, it starts charging and then after few minutes stops and macOS behaves like the charger is not connected even though the LED on the MagSafe plug is orange. This is happening to me daily at this point.

I have tried with 60W, 96W and even 20W Apple chargers with MagSafe or USB-C and there's not difference. It worked perfectly fine on 14.3 and 14.4. This is happening since updating to 14.5 so it has to be software issue.

When I reconnect the charger it's fine but I was already pissed twice when I plugged the charger because I wanted my MacBook to be charged so I could grab it outside, went to do something and came back just to find out that it stopped recognising the charger and left me with 20-30% battery.

Is there any way to re-install MacOS on apple silicon without erasing everything? Just like you do it on iPhone by downloading IPSW? Gotta be honest, I'm disappointed with Apple lately. My job requires PCs with windows and I had way more bugs on macOS in the past year than on windows.
call apple. not experiencing any of those things here, and, especially with the charging issue... might be worth getting apple's support...

Spocky

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015

Download the full installer from the AppStore (14.5). I always do this with my MacBook Pro and iPhone.

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016

Again, my god this is embarrassing, this is .5 version of Sonoma, here you can see that the charger is connected but macOS treats it like it's not.
tempImage85t6Rj.jpg

Reactions: frozencarbonite
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.