Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
My point was more about everyday devices like phone chargers. When you're using a quality charger and not some sketchy knockoff, the risk of a fire is pretty minimal. It's like comparing a toaster oven to a nightlight – different levels of risk involved. I totally get being cautious, especially after your family's experience. And it's a good reminder that even with safeguards, accidents can still happen. But if we live in a constant fear that your phone is going to catch on fire if you plug it in overnight (or leave your fridge plugged in over night) is not a great quality of life.

Oh I agree. I don’t use third party wireless unless it’s Apple supported - my two wireless chargers are the Apple MagSafe, and a Belkin one I actually bought from Apple directly.

Reactions: arkitect

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
Hardly a scientific study but the iPhones I’ve had and used overnight charging lost battery health quicker, most recently was a 14 Pro. Optimised charging was hit & miss as it needed charges through the day which disrupted it.

That was also my experience with my 14 Pro.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
My 3 yrs iPhone mini stands in a wireless charger when I'm at home and not talking in it, day and night, always charging to full.
Battery has gone from 100% to 90% during that time.
I don't think about it, I just use the phone, and charge it when I wish.
I am totally ok with the result.

Reactions: You’re not me

The Unseen

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Naples, Italy
IMG_0003.jpeg
To me, this means that leaving for long time (like overnight) the iPhone charging is not the best for battery health.
On iPhone 13 Mini, that doesn’t have the 80% cap like iPhone 15, the iPhone will wait to go over 80%.
Even if I know that whatever you do, the battery lifespan is limited, leaving for long time connected to the charger is not the best behaviour.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Oh I agree. I don’t use third party wireless unless it’s Apple supported - my two wireless chargers are the Apple MagSafe, and a Belkin one I actually bought from Apple directly.
I've got the Belkin one.

The flat one.

Which did you get?

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
but the watch is simply too big/thick to sleep comfortably in. And I used to sleep in slimmer watches before I started wearing the Apple Watch in 2015.
Did you sleep right next to the battery in the watch... I could agree that that's scary... they warm up big time.

Don't hate me, the whole thread is facetious...

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
View attachment 2394524 To me, this means that leaving for long time (like overnight) the iPhone charging is not the best for battery health.
On iPhone 13 Mini, that doesn’t have the 80% cap like iPhone 15, the iPhone will wait to go over 80%.
Even if I know that whatever you do, the battery lifespan is limited, leaving for long time connected to the charger is not the best behaviour.
I turned that off, I didn't find it doing anything interesting on my phone.

Luckily we have minds of our own and can decide how to use and treat our Apple-stuff as we see fit.
I rather follow my intuition then general automatic advices and crap. ☺️

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
* Optimized Battery Charging needs at least 14 days to learn your charging habits, so it won't engage before then. Also, your iPhone needs to experience at least 9 charges of 5 hours or more in a given location for Optimized Battery Charging to engage.

Here’s a tidbit I didn’t know before.

jazzzyJeff

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2024
View attachment 2394524 To me, this means that leaving for long time (like overnight) the iPhone charging is not the best for battery health.
But in reality it’s a feature designed for people who have the habit of leaving their iPhones on chargers overnight.

If you’re not planning on keeping your devices for more than 2-3 yrs then you might as well leave it on the charger and have it fully charged before you need to use it. It might even last longer if you have a consistent schedule and Optimized Charging actually works.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
* Optimized Battery Charging needs at least 14 days to learn your charging habits, so it won't engage before then. Also, your iPhone needs to experience at least 9 charges of 5 hours or more in a given location for Optimized Battery Charging to engage.

Here’s a tidbit I didn’t know before.
Yes, and only one odd charge ruins all of that, you're back to scratch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.