Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I have the Belkin 3 in 1 wireless charger.

I usually put my iPhone & Apple Watch on charge, in the morning.

It would be more convenient to have them charged when I get up, but I don’t want to degrade the batteries.

Thanks in advance.
Plus: Apple has smart charging for all their devices to reduce stress on the batteries

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
My phone is on charging when I go to sleep, or it’s connected to car play on long drives. Never had any problem with batteries.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

It would be more convenient to have them charged when I get up, but I don’t want to degrade the batteries.

Thanks in advance.
I tend to agree with the people saying it's ok to leave them charging overnight. But if you're worried, how about putting them on the charger about an hour/hour and half before you go to sleep, then taking them off right as you go to bed? I'm not sure about the phone, but the watch charges in around an hour or so. If the phone takes longer, just put it on the charger earlier.

This way, the devices will be ready to go in the morning, but without having been on the charger all night.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I've been charging my Apple Watch on my bedside along with my iPhone overnight, since the first Series 0 I've owned, and my first iPhone 3G. I've not noticed any significant degradation, and I always get thru the day on a charge.

I don't do sleep tracking, so it doesn't matter to me. I actually did try, it was somewhat cool, but the watch is simply too big/thick to sleep comfortably in. And I used to sleep in slimmer watches before I started wearing the Apple Watch in 2015.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007

Thanks in advance.
The sweet spot for Lithium Ion batteries is to not discharge them to less than 20% of their capacity and not charge them to greater than 80% capacity. If you keep your charging cycle inside the sweet spot you can achieve significantly more charge cycles. Apple has a feature that will prevent charging to greater than 80%. You need to be mindful of the discharge and try to avoid less than 20% before putting it on the charger. Fewer cycles is better. So, if your daily routine only uses 30% of the battery capacity then you can avoid a charging cycle by not charging when it is still 60%.

Apple now has "nightstand" mode. If using nightstand mode you will likely be charging every night thus turn on the 80% limit.

I should also point out that when I say "capacity" I am referring to the battery manufacturers rated capacity. I am not sure if Apple already limits battery charging to something less than 100% capacity to extend the lifetime. There is no way to know if the 100% indication is the "rated capacity" or some other capacity that Apple has defined. It would be helpful if Apple published some guidance on how they determine "maximum capacity when new". See this Apple article for additional information:

Last edited:

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I should also point out that when I say "capacity" I am referring to the battery manufacturers rated capacity. I am not sure if Apple already limits battery charging to something less than 100% capacity to extend the lifetime. There is no way to know if the 100% indication is the "rated capacity" or some other capacity that Apple has defined. It would be helpful if Apple published some guidance on how they determine "maximum capacity when new". See this Apple article for additional information:

You are correct, Apple does not expose the actual, manufactured capacity of the batteries use, nor does Apple necessarily use exactly the same batteries with the exact same manufactured capacities across a product line and the life of a product line. None of this information is exposed to the end user or via any API.

As a result, I stand by my assertion that attempting to manually govern the lifespan of batteries because you believe you can do it better than the circuitry itself is a waste of time. You don't have a full picture of the variables involved, and making declarations that you can "achieve significantly more charge cycles" has no quantitative basis on a broad scale.

Not exposing a fully charged Li-ion battery to excessive heat for a prolonged period of time is one of the few things you can do to allow it to achieve a normal lifespan across a wide array of battery capacities and types. Micro-managing charging of a device that uses logic-governed charging metrics (like all Apple devices with rechargeable batteries) is, at best, placebo.

Last edited:

maxwell6312

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2023
In my experience, maintaining iPhone battery health is a combination of smart charging habits and using quality accessories. I've consistently aimed to keep my charge levels between 80% and 20-30%, avoiding deep discharges and overcharging. This practice, coupled with using only Apple-certified chargers, has yielded excellent results across three different iPhones, with each retaining 95% or more of their original battery capacity.
While battery manufacturing variations can undoubtedly influence longevity, providing our devices with optimal charging conditions plays a significant role. Utilizing Apple's MFi-certified power adapters and cables ensures proper communication between the phone and charger, allowing for intelligent charging management.
In the end, we can trust our iPhones to regulate their charging processes effectively, but it's our responsibility to equip them with the right tools. By adopting these simple practices, we can maximize battery lifespan and performance, ensuring our devices remain reliable companions for years to come.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
This technically would be the safest way. I just wonder if daily use of the breaker switch would create a possible fire hazard.
As someone whose breaker box has multiple breakers that are extremely touchy, I can assure you that daily use would be a bad idea. I cannot wait to replace the pushbutton ones with switch-type breakers where you can immediately tell which one tripped.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Not at all.

I’ve charged every WATCH and iPhone I’ve owned over noc with no issues. The only thing that will damage your battery long term is heat. So if you’re worried about it, take the iPhone out of its case at noc.

Reactions: maxwell6312

TheWraith

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2024
What is it about this place that breeds such hand-wringing about battery life? I say this as gently and compassionately as possible: If you believe you can out-think the device's own battery management circruitry on how best to charge or care for the battery, you're wasting your time.

Put it on the charger whenever you want. Take it off the charger whenever you want. Turn on the built-in charge limiters if it suits you (or don't if it doesn't). Do not leave device somewhere where it can get really, really hot, like a car in summertime. It's ok if it gets warm. It's ok if it gets cold. The end. I swear. There is literally nothing else you need to do.

This should be required posting every single time this comes up. There’s something about nerdery and OCD tendencies that makes folks very activated over this. I get it; I’ve been on all sides. You have a better life if you just let it be.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
You don't have a full picture of the variables involved, and making declarations that you can "achieve significantly more charge cycles" has no quantitative basis on a broad scale.
I disagree. It is absolutely quantitative and can be measured if someone would want to take the time to do so. The chemistry of Lithium batteries dictates that when you reduce the amount of charge during a charging cycle you create less stress of battery chemistry. Read the article I cited that Apple published, it is well written and quite factual. In fact, Apple recommends if you plan to store your device for a long period of time the best charge level is 50% to reduce chemical aging.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
The chemistry of Lithium batteries dictates that when you reduce the amount of charge during a charging cycle you create less stress of battery chemistry.

You know what would really improve a battery? Never actually using or charging it at all. It might exist forever, then.

Batteries are consumables. Battery charge is managed at the IC level within your device to balance performance, charge, and longevity. I will repeat what I've said twice now: Assuming that you should or can override that behavior because you can do so better than the systems inherent to the device is not necessary. Within the boundaries of normal usage and expected lifespan, there is no need to advise people to jump through such hoops. The device, and its battery, will manage themselves to optimal levels.

There is nothing in that Apple document that runs counter to what I am saying. Your example of a device that will not be used or charged for a long time is not normal usage. To use it as an example to support your thesis is not arguing in good faith.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I’ll be honest, I kinda don’t care. I’ll probably upgrade before battery life becomes an issue anyways. I know that’s super irresponsible but Apple bred me into this.

Reactions: Devyn89

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
As someone whose breaker box has multiple breakers that are extremely touchy, I can assure you that daily use would be a bad idea. I cannot wait to replace the pushbutton ones with switch-type breakers where you can immediately tell which one tripped.
I didn’t know there was such a thing as pushbutton breakers. I remember fuses, then circuit breakers with switches.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
What is it about this place that breeds such hand-wringing about battery life? I say this as gently and compassionately as possible: If you believe you can out-think the device's own battery management circruitry on how best to charge or care for the battery, you're wasting your time.
Well said.
On top of that, a phone, an AW and also a laptop are tools to get “a job” done, they have limited life to begin with.
Use the to serve you, not the other way round.

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
If you believe you can out-think the device's own battery management circruitry on how best to charge or care for the battery, you're wasting your time.

The science of lithium-ion batteries is well understood. Cells degrade exponentially quicker at higher voltages. This occurs whether you believe it or not. That’s the beauty of science.

So yes, if you leave the device on the charger for extended periods of time, the battery will degrade faster due to the higher voltage. Again, just to reiterate, this is not a matter of belief. It’s science.

The device does not optimise for maximum longevity as this would impair the function of the device. If you woke up with 75% battery and the phone shut down at 65%, that isn’t very useful for most people. But a Li-ion battery can last 4x longer (as in, 4x more cycle) if kept within this range, compared to 100%-0%. Again, this is science, belief is not required. Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

Not everyone on this forum needs to use 100% of their battery every day. Many of those people also wish to keep their devices in operation for 5+ years. This is totally possible, but it requires manual intervention, as the device isn’t optimised for this scenario.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades

Thanks in advance.
Apple manages the charge profile to maximize battery health (according to Apple).

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
It can be a fire hazard if you are the type of person who falls asleep with their phone under a pillow, under a heating blanket or in some sort of environment where there is limited air flow.

I assume you are speaking of Apple's recent document on this. If so, you'll notice that they are specific in mentioning air flow.

My iPhone sits in a wire metal business card holder (which means the holder is ventilated) on top of a glass desk approximately three feet from my bed. The phone is in the path of the air conditioner.

The presence or absence of sunlight has nothing to do with it. Suddenly, because night comes it's a fire hazard? What about people charging during the day? Is it NOT a fire hazard because they chose to do it in the day?

What about people working nights in an office? Is it a fire hazard to charge your phone at your desk when your work shift is 8pm to 5am?

Sorry, this makes zero sense.
I think you’re overthinking/overstepping…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.