Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I have the Belkin 3 in 1 wireless charger.

I usually put my iPhone & Apple Watch on charge, in the morning.

It would be more convenient to have them charged when I get up, but I don’t want to degrade the batteries.

Thanks in advance.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
I don't know about the iPhone, but I've left my Apple Watch charging overnight every night for years, and the battery life seems okay to me. ✌

(realistically, I imagine you'd have to worry about Apple not releasing updates for your devices before you have to worry about serious battery life issues)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you want the battery to outlast the useful life of the device, then yeah, I guess so. It puts more stress on it.
But generally, that’s how apl expects people to use the chargers.

If you’re particular about it, you could get a cheap timer so it only charges the devices for a short while.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Every phone I have owned since 2009 has gone on charger at night. Unlocked, screen on. Serving as a bedside clock/alarm.

Never had any issues with any phone, iPhone or not.

Aside from the bedside clock/alarm aspect, if there is an emergency or emergency phone call when asleep, I want my phone fully charged. And I don't want to have to be fumbling for it in the dark.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If you want the battery to outlast the useful life of the device, then yeah, I guess so. It puts more stress on it.
This is incorrect. Modern devices can manage how they charge.

Also, trying to make the battery "outlast the useful life of the device" is a red herring. It's only possible if you don't discharge and recharge the battery very much. Every battery has a number of cycles before it wears out, and not charging it overnight will have a negligable impact on that, if any.

And besides, batteries are consumable parts. It's fairly inexpensive to have Apple replace them. Spare yourself the hand wringing, use and charge your iPhone and Apple Watch as you see fit.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Far too much emphasis is put on charging and life of batteries these days. It’s really boring. Just use your device for what you want to use it for. Just make sure that optimised charging is enabled on any device that supports it and enjoy your devices.

And there is no difference between charging your phone overnight or in the morning. Any device for that matter.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Of course, the Apple Watch can only charge wirelessly, so the point is moot for it. Theoretically, the heat caused by wireless charging can adversely impact battery health in the long term, but exclusively charging wirelessly shouldn’t shorten the battery’s useable life by that much (two to three years).

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
What is it about this place that breeds such hand-wringing about battery life? I say this as gently and compassionately as possible: If you believe you can out-think the device's own battery management circruitry on how best to charge or care for the battery, you're wasting your time.

Put it on the charger whenever you want. Take it off the charger whenever you want. Turn on the built-in charge limiters if it suits you (or don't if it doesn't). Do not leave device somewhere where it can get really, really hot, like a car in summertime. It's ok if it gets warm. It's ok if it gets cold. The end. I swear. There is literally nothing else you need to do.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
It’s a fire hazard to charge overnight. If you’re asleep you may not notice a fire soon enough. I’m not saying it’s a big risk, just that it could be considered.

Ridiculous. That could be anything, and charging a phone is no more risky than using anything else electric or charging anything with batteries.

It's why smoke detectors exist.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It’s a fire hazard to charge overnight. If you’re asleep you may not notice a fire soon enough. I’m not saying it’s a big risk, just that it could be considered.
Are you someone that unplugs the toaster and coffee maker after they use them? I’m seriously asking because I have friends who do this. You are correct that leaving your phone plugged in can be a minuscule fire risk but so can a coffee maker.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It can be a fire hazard if you are the type of person who falls asleep with their phone under a pillow, under a heating blanket or in some sort of environment where there is limited air flow.

I assume you are speaking of Apple's recent document on this. If so, you'll notice that they are specific in mentioning air flow.

My iPhone sits in a wire metal business card holder (which means the holder is ventilated) on top of a glass desk approximately three feet from my bed. The phone is in the path of the air conditioner.

The presence or absence of sunlight has nothing to do with it. Suddenly, because night comes it's a fire hazard? What about people charging during the day? Is it NOT a fire hazard because they chose to do it in the day?

What about people working nights in an office? Is it a fire hazard to charge your phone at your desk when your work shift is 8pm to 5am?

Sorry, this makes zero sense.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
What is it about this place that breeds such hand-wringing about battery life? I say this as gently and compassionately as possible: If you believe you can out-think the device's own battery management circruitry on how best to charge or care for the battery, you're wasting your time.

Didn't you know? Apple designs their products to ensure they consume their batteries unreasonably quickly in order to drive sales! It's a malicious scheme with Tim Apple at the helm! /s

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Even better: go to the circuit breaker panel in your house before you go to bed and turn everything off.
This technically would be the safest way. I just wonder if daily use of the breaker switch would create a possible fire hazard.

And enjoy your spoiled food!
Most freezers and refrigerators will keep the food cold overnight if you don’t open them. Not that I would do or recommend this method 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Haha
Reactions: ignatius345
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.