Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If this is going to be the new top end iphone, why only 8GB of RAM? Apple Intelligence needs 8GB minimum, so why not make the "ultra" iphone more future proof?

Because Apple wants more $$$ from us in that future.

Besides, haven't you heard? 8GB of Apple RAM is like 16GB of PC RAM. And 'with the new innovations of iPhone slim, 8GB of RAM is like 24GB of PC RAM." 32GB! 32GB! Do I hear 32GB??? ;)

lenningj

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2023
My concern is overheating if the SOC heats up during certain use. i.e heavy gpu use, gaming ported titles like resident evil or shooting long video with 8k/ vision pro video.

Design doesn't look like wireless charging might improve with the heat generated for current models

Last edited:

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
The 17 Slim effort feels like a trial balloon, or like Scullyist SKU management. Like, two cliques in Apple squaring off: "Nobody demanded a thin phone!" vs. "Thinliness is next to godJobsliness!" - and they're both wrong. Like, Apple has lost the bead, and must now rely on dart boards. Like, Apple is beta testing next-gen builds from untrusted whitebox manufacturers to cap liability.

Of course, I'm curious about how good it might turn out, but I remember iPhones got flimsy when Apple emphasized thinness. The world is bendy and poundy and abrasive and burning and freezing and wet. Apple should emphasize in the marketing how tough this thing is, like... "Bruce Lee can't bend it! A .56-50 Spencer bounces right off! Recovered it from the Edmund Fitzgerald! Dropped it down the bore hole and broke an oil rig and still worked after Red Adair put the fire out! Used it as Secretariat's horse shoe! It survived a Boeing Starliner reentry!"*

*No temporal continuum were harmed in the composition of these durability claims.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Like others have said I’m sure, this feels more like an ultra iPhone? Why make something look so different from the top tier pro iPhones? I feel like something is missing and the slim name is to throw us off.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Please no top center camera. It looks ugly on the pixels.

Also, why is it 2024 and the selfie camera is still so low res.

It would be a game changer if we could get near similar qualities between front and back cameras.

Granted I use Snapchat usually for selfies but still.
in one post you managed to raise an issue that is a non issue, and debunked it. You also validated Apple's decision on the matter and ended it with 'but still'.

Reactions: NetMage

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
not sure how an owner of a slim iPhone 16 can repair his own iPhone? too thin equals break not repair.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
in one post you managed to raise an issue that is a non issue, and debunked it. You also validated Apple's decision on the matter and ended it with 'but still'.
I didn’t raise an issue or debunk it nor did I validate anything of apples.

It is a non issue for you. We aren’t talking about YOU. I was talking about me.

First off.

Second off, I was simply mentioning the fact that it is still 12 megapixel after all these years.

Third off, “but still” is meaning the fact I mainly use Snapchat because the quality isn’t much better/different.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Surely the camera lenses will need to remain vertically oriented to maintain spacial video support (which is why the iPhone 16 is rumoured to be going back to the iPhone X-12-esque arrangement.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I know that picture in the article is just some artist's "concept render," but I gotta say... I like to think Apple has better designers than whoever is working on the Pixel 9's camera bar 😩

View attachment 2394593

Yikes. I thought you were joking and did a google search on Pixel 9 and found this.
This might still just be a render or prototype, but if the camera is that big and thick, I'm not sure how it can be unobtrusive.

ngjZjiFAeegHLU5LbnRekM-320-80.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.