Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Not compelling to me, especially if the iPhone 17 rumour mill is correct I would rather pass on the 16 pro max

For the iPhone 17 pro max 12GB ram, triple 48 mega pixel lens array, 24 mega pixel front lens, reduced Dynamic Island, and slimmer form factor with scratch resistant screen.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max will do for another year.
Might as well just hold out for the 18, just to be sure. Who knows what they'll be able to add by then. The possibilities are endless.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Coming from a dying 12 mini, I’m due for an upgrade this year so it’s either an iPhone 15 Pro or a base 16.

I’m thinking a 16 would suffice, but likely lots of discounts on the outgoing 15 Pro between now and September.

And of course, Apple removes the previous year’s Pros once the new model is introduced. So I would have to get the 15 Pro now.

Normally when new phones drop, the last model goes down $100. If Apple still has 15 inventory, I expect it will drop more than usual, since it won't support AI. Rather save the money since I am not interested in AI.

This is assuming Apple will support Intelligence on the non-pro iPhone 16...

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

I think it's highly unlikely that it wouldn't be supported. It's bad enough many 14 Pro owners can't run AI.

I imagine Apple knows they kind of dropped the ball and would want every new iPhone moving forward to be Intelligence capable.

Reactions: DOD250 and PeLaNo

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Not compelling to me, especially if the iPhone 17 rumour mill is correct I would rather pass on the 16 pro max

For the iPhone 17 pro max 12GB ram, triple 48 mega pixel lens array, 24 mega pixel front lens, reduced Dynamic Island, and slimmer form factor with scratch resistant screen.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max will do for another year.
Same here lol. My 13 Pro Max can run fine for another year so I'll wait for 17 Pro Max

tbgb50

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2024
Perfectly valid point. If Apple wants to maintain 2 classes of customers, it's their choice but this would lead me to buy the 15 anyway.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I think it's highly unlikely that it wouldn't be supported. It's bad enough many 14 Pro owners can't run AI.

I imagine Apple knows they kind of dropped the ball and would want every new iPhone moving forward to be Intelligence capable.
I can definitely see a situation where the non pro iPhone 16 doesn't support Apple Intelligence (at least, on-device). Alternatively, I am wondering whether the 8 GB devices that support it, will be hamstrug by having half their RAM swallowed up by the LLM and thus the iPhone 16 Pro will come with 12 GB (4 GB for the LLM and 8 GB for regular system tasks) and the iPhone 16 non pro comes with 8 GB.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
I'm more excited about switching back to Android and PC tbh :/ Even Pixel 8a is better and much cheaper than iPhone 15.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
With apple intelligence being locked to only 15 PRO and above, I think that makes the iPhone 16 series a more compelling update (even coming from a 14 pro) with everything else that’s rumoured. They will probably software lock a few new features for 16 as well

What do you guys think
I think that's exactly what Apple is hoping because otherwise there is no new Killer App or Killer Feature compared to a recent iPhone like the 14. They are more than good enough for non-AI tasks. I am not sure it's going to be the must-have upgrade because of it when there are so many cloud based solutions that do the same stuff. The privacy/on device processing is only for some things, for a lot of enquiries it has to use ChatGPT anyway which we can all get on any phone. Let's see.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Coming from a dying 12 mini, I’m due for an upgrade this year so it’s either an iPhone 15 Pro or a base 16.

I’m thinking a 16 would suffice, but likely lots of discounts on the outgoing 15 Pro between now and September.

And of course, Apple removes the previous year’s Pros once the new model is introduced. So I would have to get the 15 Pro now.

My thoughts too, although my 12 Pro still going strong - might donate that as cascade to another member of family thereby doubling the delight ;)

Reactions: Marty80

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Noob question...

What's wrong with the chat-pgt app and Microsoft Co-pilot app?

Works pretty well to me while saving money on a new phone.

I understand the goal here by apple is to make it assist in every aspect of your life but in a sense Gmail organizes emails pretty well, imessages does a good job, i don't see the huge deal for AI especially for those who just brought a non 15 pro phone.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I think this is one of those times where we’ll look back in 2-4 years at these threads and say things like “lol remember when everyone was skeptical of AI, didn’t know what the big deal was, or said they would never ever use it?”

It remains to be seen how well this first iteration of “Apple Intelligence” will work in real life scenarios, but I’m trying to keep an open mind. I think there’s a very real possibility that it becomes so integrated with our phones and daily life, that we’ll one day wonder how we ever called smartphones “smart” without AI.

I just try to remember that people on these very forums once said they “didn’t see the point” of the Apple Watch, AirPods, iPad, and even the original iPhone. Yet look where we are today!

Reactions: 42545

IchabodCricket

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2024
I think this is one of those times where we’ll look back in 2-4 years at these threads and say things like “lol remember when everyone was skeptical of AI, didn’t know what the big deal was, or said they would never ever use it?”

It remains to be seen how well this first iteration of “Apple Intelligence” will work in real life scenarios, but I’m trying to keep an open mind. I think there’s a very real possibility that it becomes so integrated with our phones and daily life, that we’ll one day wonder how we ever called smartphones “smart” without AI.

I just try to remember that people on these very forums once said they “didn’t see the point” of the Apple Watch, AirPods, iPad, and even the original iPhone. Yet look where we are today!

I think some of things AI will be doing is interesting, but I don't see generative AI, chatbot style, being interesting for me. Every time I use I get annoyed at the superflurous chatter and just want the answer. Never cared for voice assistants, and get pissed any time I need to use them (CarPlay, for example). I had a house full of Echos and tore them all out and sold them one day after getting annoyed with Alexa.

It's a little all too-online for my taste. I don't use my phone as much as most do, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarmWinterHat

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I really miss Android. Especially the battery life.

I'm too lazy to switch my EDC from iOS to Android (never left Windows though). However, I do agree on battery life.

My super cheap Tracfone Moto G can last more than a week on standby. Meanwhile, my iOS devices frequently have unusually high standby battery drain due to either Siri, Find My and Home.

I have Hey Siri disabled but I need Find My and Home so I have no choice but to charge daily. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: cuzo and iHorseHead

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Every time I use I get annoyed at the superflurous chatter and just want the answer.

Well that is the great thing about the new language models. Just tell it to give you a short and concise answer and it will do it. You will get much better results, once you get a feel of how to properly ask for things. Just like a person it can't read your mind and needs some information about what you actually want. :)

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Well that is the great thing about the new language models. Just tell it to give you a short and concise answer and it will do it. You will get much better results, once you get a feel of how to properly ask for things. Just like a person it can't read your mind and needs some information about what you actually want. :)
It sounds like a product manager: know how to interpret human language into actionable items. Future product managers can be professional gpt typewriters.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024

I'll just DDG or Google it instead. Both have the added benefit of not interacting with a Sam Altman property.

Reactions: ndouglas

Clamjuice65

Suspended
Feb 27, 2023
Same here lol. My 13 Pro Max can run fine for another year so I'll wait for 17 Pro Max
Not really you should do us Apple shareholders a favors and upgrade, this is what Apple 🍎 wants and needs plus you’ll get better cameras faster processors just put yourself on a payment plan with your carrier and enjoy THE BEST IPHONE EVER. 😏🤣😟

Reactions: PeLaNo

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I think its smarter to wait for the 17 Pro and it's rumored 12gb of RAM. I just have a feeling the phones with 8gb of RAM are going to slow down sooner than expected. I mean, if AI requires a minimum of 8gb of RAM, do you really want a phone with the bare minimum specs?

If you upgrade every 1 or 2 years then it won't matter.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I think its smarter to wait for the 17 Pro and it's rumored 12gb of RAM. I just have a feeling the phones with 8gb of RAM are going to slow down sooner than expected. I mean, if AI requires a minimum of 8gb of RAM, do you really want a phone with the bare minimum specs?

If you upgrade every 1 or 2 years then it won't matter.

I’m curious. Are the hardware specs of for the 16 already locked in?

Do we know if it’s even in production yet? If not, if Apple gave the 16 Pro Max 12gb, it would go a long way in selling more iPhones this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.