Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therenjoseph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
With apple intelligence being locked to only 15 PRO and above, I think that makes the iPhone 16 series a more compelling update (even coming from a 14 pro) with everything else that’s rumoured. They will probably software lock a few new features for 16 as well

What do you guys think

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Agreed. Wasn't planning on upgrading my iPhone 14 Pro Max this year but I want on-device ChatGPT. I use ChatGPT Plus for various things every day, so being able to do a lot of that stuff on-device, without having to worry about network speed and latency (and server load), is a HUGE plus for me. I guess I could just get a 15 Pro Max but if I'm going to be upgrading anyway, may as well just wait for the 16 Pro Max.

mgscheue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2018
Agreed. Wasn't planning on upgrading my iPhone 14 Pro Max this year but I want on-device ChatGPT. I use ChatGPT Plus for various things every day, so being able to do a lot of that stuff on-device, without having to worry about network speed and latency (and server load), is a HUGE plus for me. I guess I could just get a 15 Pro Max but if I'm going to be upgrading anyway, may as well just wait for the 16 Pro Max.
ChatGPT will be off-device. Remember it's a three-tier system: some AI stuff will happen on-device, some will go off to Apple's own secure servers, and some will, with your permission, go to ChatGPT.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
ChatGPT will be off-device. Remember it's a three-tier system: some AI stuff will happen on-device, some will go off to Apple's own secure servers, and some will, with your permission, go to ChatGPT.
That's an important distinction, for sure. The on-device AI that I was referring to is the generative model that will run on devices with 8GB of RAM or more. Generative text (and presumably better speech recognition - including punctuation - like ChatGPT is capable of now) ... More specifically, I'm very interested in English/Japanese translation (which is what I use ChatGPT for, about half of the time). That said, Apple Intelligence will only be available in U.S. English at launch, so I guess we're going to have to wait for on-device ChatGPT-level translation.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
With apple intelligence being locked to only 15 PRO and above, I think that makes the iPhone 16 series a more compelling update (even coming from a 14 pro) with everything else that’s rumoured. They will probably software lock a few new features for 16 as well

What do you guys think
If it comes with only 8GB no thanks. Lesson learned.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Coming from a dying 12 mini, I’m due for an upgrade this year so it’s either an iPhone 15 Pro or a base 16.

I’m thinking a 16 would suffice, but likely lots of discounts on the outgoing 15 Pro between now and September.

And of course, Apple removes the previous year’s Pros once the new model is introduced. So I would have to get the 15 Pro now.

Reactions: PeLaNo

IchabodCricket

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2024
It's compelling if you're interested in AI. I'm not, at all, so we'll see what else they offer.

I'm most excited about satellite messaging, and since my 13 Pro doesn't have it, I might upgrade for that.

Reactions: Total Respray

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I don’t think I’d use a lot of the AI features, so for me it’s what the hardware brings compared to my 14 PM. Also, reset the clock on free satellite usage.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012

What do you guys think

I think if the 16 is still 60Hz it can GTFO.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
“Power On: Apple will slowly rollout Apple Intelligence, with some features coming after iOS 18 this year and much of the new Siri coming in 2025” according to Gurman.

Also: “Apple is focused on a much skinnier phone in time for the iPhone 17. It’s also working to make the MacBook Pro & watch thinner. The plan is for the latest iPad to be the start of a new class of devices that are the thinnest/lightest in their categories.”

For this reason buying iPhone 16 for AI seems pointless. The AI I did see at the event didn’t seem worthwhile anyway.

I’m still not seeing the excitement with Apple intelligence (if you take away ChatGPT). And if you just want to query ChatGPT with voice there’s an app or ways to do that now.

Nothing in that demo involving Siri on device or not talking to ChatGPT, or what they claim is Apple intelligence seemed useful to me. Or even something you just have to try out.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Not compelling to me, especially if the iPhone 17 rumour mill is correct I would rather pass on the 16 pro max

For the iPhone 17 pro max 12GB ram, triple 48 mega pixel lens array, 24 mega pixel front lens, reduced Dynamic Island, and slimmer form factor with scratch resistant screen.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max will do for another year.

Last edited:

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017

What do you guys think
I think they will equip 16 series with 8GB of RAM across the board so it can run all the features they already announced at WWDC this year

edit: I can't wait to see how capable this will be on-device. Would be great if it can run all basics things like finding photos, or asking about appointment completely offline

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Coming from a dying 12 mini, I’m due for an upgrade this year so it’s either an iPhone 15 Pro or a base 16.

I’m thinking a 16 would suffice, but likely lots of discounts on the outgoing 15 Pro between now and September.

And of course, Apple removes the previous year’s Pros once the new model is introduced. So I would have to get the 15 Pro now.
If you don't mind having two camera and 60Hz screen then I would say might be good ideas to wait for 16. But I think you usually be able to buy 15 Pro/Pro Max from third parties at discounted price after the 16 is announced

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Not compelling to me, especially if the iPhone 17 rumour mill is correct I would rather pass on the 16 pro max

For the iPhone 17 pro max 12GB ram, triple 48 mega pixel lens array, 24 mega pixel front lens, reduced Dynamic Island, and slimmer form factor with scratch resistant screen.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max will do for another year.
Same here lol. My 13 Pro Max can run fine for another year so I'll wait for 17 Pro Max

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Apple Translation app can already do this, no?
Sure, in a pinch. But ChatGPT's translations are vastly superior. Like, I wouldn't use Apple Translate for anything consequential (sending an important email, helping to write a speech, etc) but ChatGPT does a good enough job that it's usable for stuff like that. Which is sort of the point.

Reactions: PeLaNo

whateverest

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2018
I am wondering if iPhone SE 2025 will have sufficient SOC/RAM combination for full feature AI set. On the other hand, Apple hardly can release a new phone without? AI might then be the biggest reason for a delayed release, in regards of iPhone 15..

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Sure, in a pinch. But ChatGPT's translations are vastly superior. Like, I wouldn't use Apple Translate for anything consequential (sending an important email, helping to write a speech, etc) but ChatGPT does a good enough job that it's usable for stuff like that. Which is sort of the point.

I actually don't mind just using the ChatGPT app when I need help in generating ideas or getting a framework of how to do something.

But I am interested in how well Apple's own AI can do the mundane and organizational stuff for my personal account.
I just want the smarter contextual version of Siri...not current dumb Siri.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.